Do You like Grits?

oldpop

One time a few years back I pulled into a restaurant in Massachusetts for breakfast and ordered Grits. It was like an E.F. Hutton moment. The waitress looked like she did not know of what I spoke. She says no grits here. I ended up with hash browns, eggs, sausage and toast. Not bad at all but would have been better with Grits. It was hard to believe they had never heard of Grits up there. I love grits and not only for breakfast. The can be a main course with cheese and shrimp. Anyway, how do you feel about Grits?

I love grits but you won't find them offered on the East Coast. Whenever I'm in the south, I order them. I attribute my love of grits to my Italian grandmother, who fed me polenta from a very young age. Some people mistake grits and polenta for the same thing. They're similar in that they're both made from corn, albeit different types of corn. I love both!

Here ya go, oldpop, have some on me. 😊

Diamond Shoals Restaurant | Buxton, NC - Breakfast With Nick

Momma's Shrimp and Cheese Grits

Bella ✌️

Got a chuckle out of the "E.F. Hutton moment".
I'm on the east coast in NC, considered southern, and here on the island grits are popular...especially Shrimp and Grits.
In fact I made it my obsession to perfect the recipe for my son and son-in-law. This is one of many I've cooked up for them.
Ingredients include grits and cheddar cheese, shrimp with Umami seasoning, mushrooms, green onions, bacon, tomatoes, and a sauce around the edges.
IMG_2252.jpg

Got a chuckle out of the "E.F. Hutton moment".
I'm on the east coast in NC, considered southern, and here on the island grits are popular...especially Shrimp and Grits.
In fact I made it my obsession to perfect the recipe for my son and son-in-law. This is one of many I've cooked up for them.
Ingredients include grits and cheddar cheese, shrimp with Umami seasoning, mushrooms, green onions, bacon, tomatoes, and a sauce around the edges.
View attachment 221803
That looks delicious, @Lara!

Oh, gee, they make me nauseous! I always ask for them to be excluded from my plate and send it back if they put them on anyway. I do not understand why anyone would even eat them at any other meal - I cannot stand them!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, my father told me about grits. I never heard of them in Chicago, and he said they were popular in the south, where people really liked them. But they were available at the local grocery store, so we made us a batch of grits. I didn't want to disappoint my father because he was obviously nuts about the idea of grits, so I liked them. Well, kinda. They were OK. Kind of like the Farina that I ate when I was a baby, but less flavor.

I moved to Montana and would take grits backpacking, because in dry form they were light to pack. Add water, and they could be a filling part of a campfire meal. I offered them to my backpacking friend on an over-nighter, and like me, he was interested in trying them, but he hated them, describing them with a flurry of expletives. After that, anything I offered him from my backpacking food stuffs, he adamantly refused to even try. I decided it was probably a good idea not to encourage anyone to eat grits. They might yell at you. Well, some people, anyway. It's a crapshoot.

Only if they are cooked just right, which many people just don't know how to do. They have to be smooth which takes the right amount of water and time. My mother and grandmother were from the south and they cooked them just right. Cheese grits are to die for. I was introduced to that dish when we attended a breakfast at one of the masjids in Irvington, N.J. I used to make good grits too but me being a lazy cook, after I married my second husband I used to leave the grits cooking to him. When we went down south to stay at Cousin Rob and Martha's house we were treated to Rob's spectacular grits. However, the last time that experience was ruined. They had gotten new Caphalon pots, probably didn't season them as is recommended and the grits had a metallic taste.

I just threw away a full box of grits because I knew they'd never get cooked since my husband has been gone for over 3 years. I learned to make a good substitute...farina. Cheese farina is very good too. I can make it in the microwave in about one and a half minutes.

Last edited:
We happened to have fried eggs and grits for dinner last night. My son and I decided it was out favorite thing.
Growing up in West Virginia, I never heard of them until I was grown, but the first time I had them, on a trip through the south, it was instant love. They're good many ways but thick, hot, buttered with hot egg yolk running into them ---yum.

My husband's brother and his wife were visiting from Minnesota, last year. I made them a nice breakfast of eggs, ham, biscuits and grits. They whispered about it to each other for a while (so rude) then ate only the eggs and ham. They were freaked out by the grits and didn't even know what biscuits were! They asked for toast, or as they pronounce it "tolst." Sheesh.

Back