Do You Monitor Your Health Regularly? or leave it to the docs?

Lon

I don't mean just your weight. I am talking BLOOD PRESSURE & HEART RATE plus BLOOD SUGAR readings via inexpensive meters for home use. Do you Google any health conditions that you have been diagnosed with or joined any ON LINE SUPPORT GROUPS with your particular condition.

Definitely not the docs. I don't worry about the number too much either. After working out and trying to keep up with fitness news for decades I worry more about physical symptoms than numbers. I know my body pretty good and my observations are much more accurate than in years past. One has to be honest with themselves.

The biggest I worry about is how out of breath I can get. If I get fired up for what ever reason does it bother my heart, am I getting headaches, do I feel to hot or cold, do I fee tight. I also pay attention to hydration, if I feel thirsty for any length of time I not only increase water/fluid intake but begin to wonder if do I have diabetes or are my kidneys cooking.

One needs to be acutely aware of what's going on in/with their body. And/or how your body responds to what you do it wether it's food, activity or environment.

Yes I have a BP machine ,blood sugar test bought from Diabetes SA ...and I keep an eye on weight ,we walked 7.5 km yesterday .
We are off to a warmer part of Australia this weekend for a month .. ...while up there last year we walked 146 km ( I have a good quality pedometer and keep a record of how far we walk each day)
We fly to our destination and use public transport to get around
:sunglass:

I don't mean just your weight. I am talking BLOOD PRESSURE & HEART RATE plus BLOOD SUGAR readings via inexpensive meters for home use. Do you Google any health conditions that you have been diagnosed with or joined any ON LINE SUPPORT GROUPS with your particular condition.
I do my BP every day and if I am uneasy about it I go to Walgreens for the pharmacist to check it. In the past I have used online support groups for migraine headaches and brain aneurysms. Also before a brain angio I read up again on the risks etc before having another one. I am not real keen on someone looking at my aneurysm clip and coils as the tiniest nick could do me in. I have relaxed and have them done here a the local Hospital instead of traveling to downtown Houston to Methodist. But I had to have a lot of assurance from the neuro docs that it could be done safely here. I like the experiences of others online regarding surviving ruptured brain aneurysms as there are not many of us!

I have a BP cuff that I used everyday, when my BP was chronically elevated, and I was taking HCTZ.

In recent years my blood pressure has been under control, so haven't used the cuff, except when I've taken the 'bad-for HBP" meds that contain decongestants or antihistamine cold meds.

Back