Do you share a bathroom?

I wouldn't go anywhere if I had to share with others.

Gosh that would limit where you go.

I love travelling and also staying with family and not having my own/our own bathroom all the time would limit that a lot.

An expression my mother used to use was "Guid (good) folks scarce". This was a dismissive term for someone who felt or behaved in a superior manner. She came from what was in the early 1900's, a respectable area of Glasgow and now is apparently one of the best areas.

However, the city had some less salubrious parts, and for those who would never share facilities, they would probably avoid Glasgow. So, read on.......... From BBC Scotland

By 1970, man had landed on the moon, yet one in four Scots still had to share an outdoor toilet.

In the 1970s, in Govan in the south of Glasgow and in many other parts of Scotland, families still lived in tenement houses without an internal bathroom or toilet.
Tenants in Govan decided do something about it.
Author Raymond Young has written a book, Annie's Loo, which tells the tale of their fight for indoor loos, and how it created a revolution in social housing.
"The way the authorities were trying to deal with it was by demolishing the tenements and building new houses with inside toilets," he said.
"People wanted to move to begin with, but where they were being moved to was far away from their work, far away from their friends, far away from their communities.
"They said it might be better to stay in these old tenements."

The tenants created a residents' associations to campaign for indoor toilets in their existing homes, and housing associations which could buy up the old tenements no one wanted.
The movement was significant in creating the model for the housing associations and co-operatives that manage social housing across Scotland today.
In 1972, the first indoor toilet and bathroom was installed in the Govan tenement home of Annie Gibbons.
Media and crowds gathered to see senior local councillor Pat Lally arrive in a big black car and make his way up to the third floor to officially open Annie's loo.
He ceremonially flush the toilet for the very first time. It really was a flush of success.

Yes, I share a bathroom with my son now. When my husband was living (my son didn't live with us), it was annoying to have to share with him because sometimes he'd fall asleep in there. :LOL: And when I wake up in the middle of the night and have to go...I have to go that instant. My son and I hardly ever get in each other's way when it comes to bathroom time. It would be nice to have a two bedroom, two bath apartment, but we'd be paying three or four times more than what we pay here.

Last edited:
I used to share a bathroom with my husband but he had his own sink. Now I have all the bathrooms for myself.

At one point in our intentional community we had 4 adults and one bathroom/shower. That was rough sometimes. Now it is Misa and I, and that is usually fine. EXCEPT I have a copy cat. Mama cat follows me into the bathroom when I need to go #1 and she gets in her sandbox to do her business. I finish up while Mama is scratching the shower doors and the floor. We finish up about the same time and make our exit. :)

DreamShaper_v7_a_calico_cat_and_a_man_in_a_bathroom_2.jpg

We have a full bath plus 2 halves. A small basement bathroom with only a toilet and sink in the basement. And a small shower in the basement with a privacy area curtained off. Very nice to have, especially when we have company.

Last edited:
Capt Lightening, your post should make us all appreciate how well off we are now - and of course compared to much of the world who dont have proper sanitation even today

My house has, in addition to proper indoor facilities, an outside toilet (circa 1890). I had thought to demolish it, but it has a water tap - useful for washing the car and for disposing of waste water from the campervan etc.. not to mention not having to take off muddy boots to use the indoor loo.

Back