Do you still drive? Age?

how small is your car then holly ...😂😂
Oh did I forget to mention that?

NU3iJ34K58j0ldUSITYj1GY8rfYAAyzbxP4XDJATLDM.jpg

My hearing gave out when I was in my early 70s, so I gave my keys to my son and told him I couldn't drive anymore as my reflexes were attuned to a full hearing person. I am now 86 and am sorry at times, but I'd hate to have an accident because I did not hear or see in my blind spot a motorcycle. I would be devastated. Happened to a friend of mine and he's not been the same since.

They probably do it so it's easier to drive off when there's more cars parked next to them (in the morning?). It wouldn't be so scary backing up if walkers and other cars stopped if they see you backing up. If possible, when in a parking lot, I drive into the opposite spot so that I can just drive off instead of backing up from my spot.

This is why I back into parking places if possible. Too many people seem completely oblivious of cars backing out and just walk in the path of one. That scares me, so I back into the spot so I have a decent field of vision when leaving the spot.

Age 84 and drive every day, but notthe joy it used to be. I'll do 1o miles on the interstate, just to get used to driving at 70.
In our CCRC, Kelly still drives daily at age 100. He's our go guy for dougnuts at the Friday coffee clatch. At least four more who are in their mid 90's and go out for lunch on a regular basis. Our town is the most driver friendly of all the 22 places where we've lived.

Still driving at nearly 80, though that may change next year.

I have to undergo an annual health check with my doctor and optometrist. Only just passed the eye check this year due to cataracts.

I'm 54 and so far I do but, I have trouble driving out of town. It takes a lot out of me. My night blindness is getting really bad anymore so I try not to go out too much at night. In the winter I prefer to take a cab on snowy or icy days because I'm concerned someone will total my car and I don't have money for a different one. I need to get new glasses because I'm having trouble seeing street signs and stuff. Sometimes if my arthritis is bothering me I will take a cab, too.

This is why I back into parking places if possible. Too many people seem completely oblivious of cars backing out and just walk in the path of one. That scares me, so I back into the spot so I have a decent field of vision when leaving the spot.
I need a lesson in backing into spaces. I consider myself a very good driver but I cannot back into a spot. I can't even back into my driving spot near the garage at home :cry: My hubby is a pro.

I need a lesson in backing into spaces. I consider myself a very good driver but I cannot back into a spot. I can't even back into my driving spot near the garage at home :cry: My hubby is a pro.
When I was young I was flexible enough to be able to turn completely around in my car seat and back up into space. Now, if I HAVE to backup, I first make sure there are no obstacles in the parking spot, then I look in the side mirror next to me and just try to follow some line, like the parking spot line or the driveway edge, and use that as a guideline to back up straight.

I'm 74,I still drive but only locally and definitely not at night. When I park I usually choose a spot away from the entrance to the store. Less people I have to look out for. I don't do well backing up either and have never got the hang of depending on the mirrors and because of this my head is on a swivel much like the guy in Beetlejuice,if anyone remembers that movie.

I drive to the supermarket, the medicine man, the pharmacy and to the recreation centers here in the complex. Once in a while we take a ride over to the beach.
I am 86. Wife hasn't driven for about 5 years for medical reasons.
During my working years I drove about 40,000 miles a year, now it is about 4,000.

I'll be 77 later this year, and I recently bought a new car (with the intention of it going to my granddaughter at age 16 - she's 13 now), and I just renewed my drivers license this month, so I'm good to go for a few years. ... hopefully.

During the last 16 years of my career I was driving 50% of the time. In 2005, my car was totaled while parked (where I told my husband not to park it). Also that year I had eye surgery for glaucoma and cataracts. My eye doctor did another procedure that resulted in me with my very nearsighted self to have 20/20 vision in that eye. My brain could not process the difference in vision between my left and right eyes so I covered one of my eyeglass lenses with brown colored paper. Looked like I had only one eye from a distance...thus the screen name OneEyedDiva. I was certainly not able to drive like that. I had the other eye done several months later.

Due to how the lights of oncoming traffic affect my vision and night blindness, I am unable to drive at night, or even at dusk (got stuck out there at dusk one time with my DIL's van and had to take all one way streets home). I never bothered to get another car. I kind of like being chauffeured around. LOL :p I'm 73 and haven't had to drive for work since 1998 due to retirement.

Last edited:
73 this Fall. The only time I did all the driving, was for several weeks, after my husband's hip surgery. When we go out, he always drives. I'm bothered by oncoming headlights after dark. I guess we will stop driving when we no longer feel safe on the roads.

When I was young I was flexible enough to be able to turn completely around in my car seat and back up into space. Now, if I HAVE to backup, I first make sure there are no obstacles in the parking spot, then I look in the side mirror next to me and just try to follow some line, like the parking spot line or the driveway edge, and use that as a guideline to back up straight.
My grandpa finally just got to the point where he couldn't turn to look so he'd just start backing out. (slowly of course) But, he'd laugh and say something about here we go. Let's hope they stop. LOL!

I could never figure out why people back into a parking spot. It is so difficult.

You are supposed to turn on your emergency lights when backing out of a parking spot. If drivers can't see that they are blind.

I will be 70 in June,and let`s just say my car that I purchased brand new in July of 2018 now has 33,000 miles on it. True that some of those miles were put on by hubby driving,but most were put on by me.

I love to drive-always have-and consider myself a good driver. Especially in the mountains-hubby always makes me drive in the mountains. Only thing that has changed with my driving is that I have slowed down some-I used to be pretty much a lead foot.Never had a speeding ticket though.

Yes, I still drive....especially to the super market.... I just had to drive to get my husband's wallet, he left it at the Doctor's office...
I do drive almost every day, some where.....(So I'm 75) I'm still driving better then some people on the road....

Did some here have your school teacher, way back when, have you take your driving test?? We did in our school!!!!
Remember you had to be 18 years old?....In Jersey it is still 18....

Yes,peppermint,we probably had the same teacher. My dad took me for my road test though. I remember drivers Ed. I flunked map folding. I could never get that thing folded back the way it was. Thank goodness for the GPS.

Did some here have your school teacher, way back when, have you take your driving test?? We did in our school!!!!
Remember you had to be 18 years old?....In Jersey it is still 18....

Back