Do you think living alone is a big deal?

I remember the song .

"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it"

I do give myself a treat every day. But I still say life is more fun if you share it preferably with someone of the opposite sex. It's the way humans have been programmed.
I agree. It can be much nicer to share with the right someone. I know when I've tried rooming with a female roommate, she annoyed me a lot more than a male sweetheart would have. Have you thought about how to go about finding the right companion? My sister's widower found two wives in an online dating service. He was about 67, the first time and 80 the second. The first one passed away.

I agree. It can be much nicer to share with the right someone. I know when I've tried rooming with a female roommate, she annoyed me a lot more than a male sweetheart would have. Have you thought about how to go about finding the right companion? My sister's widower found two wives in an online dating service. He was about 67, the first time and 80 the second. The first one passed away.
I'm too old now. It's a nice thought. As my dear wife used to say. It's tough enough looking after yourself, never mind someone else.

I live on my own, was married for 20 years. I feel good that I am 'domesticated' so have a good and tidy place - apart from the projects that I can work on in my own time. But....for me now, the priority is to share with someone else, as a companion. Time alone is good, time together is better.

I have never lived alone and don't desire to do so ever. Maybe my being hearing-impaired has something to do with it. I do like my alone time to read and putter in the garden for a few hours or shop at a store. If it ever got to the point I was alone, I would move in with my daughter.

I have never lived alone and don't desire to do so ever. Maybe my being hearing-impaired has something to do with it. I do like my alone time to read and putter in the garden for a few hours or shop at a store. If it ever got to the point I was alone, I would move in with my daughter.
Is your daughter okay with that? My mom told my sister and I that she never wanted to live with us, ever. So when it came time that it was a possibility, I dreaded it. The doc said she was too ill to not be in a care facility, so both of us were spared.

I've lived alone for more than 10 years. I thought I didn't mind it and I actually do quite well on my own but now that I'm older, I think being alone might not be ideal. Last week I was terribly sick with a stomach virus. I would have loved to have had someone with me just to keep an eye on me, maybe bring me some water to sip on. I suddenly felt VERY alone and, to be honest, a bit afraid. Both are new thoughts for me. Alone and afraid.

I’ve been living alone for nearly a year now and if it wasn’t for this damn virus i’d be quite happy with that.But with everything i normally do still cancelled it’s a bit of a pain...because i am simply not seeing anyone.Even my sister won’t visit and i have been warned off going anywhere near hers!

I've lived alone for more than 10 years. I thought I didn't mind it and I actually do quite well on my own but now that I'm older, I think being alone might not be ideal. Last week I was terribly sick with a stomach virus. I would have loved to have had someone with me just to keep an eye on me, maybe bring me some water to sip on. I suddenly felt VERY alone and, to be honest, a bit afraid. Both are new thoughts for me. Alone and afraid.
It is a frightening feeling to know that one is alone, old and sick. I think it's a matter in part of not knowing what's going to happen or if one can handle it. Have you considered getting a device called LIfeline. They check on you. My mom had one, although it was called something else. She had the option of wearing a necklace or something on her wrist. You can press it to contact them in an emergency. They will come. They check in once or twice a day.

It is a frightening feeling to know that one is alone, old and sick. I think it's a matter in part of not knowing what's going to happen or if one can handle it. Have you considered getting a device called LIfeline. They check on you. My mom had one, although it was called something else. She had the option of wearing a necklace or something on her wrist. You can press it to contact them in an emergency. They will come. They check in once or twice a day.
Thank you, I hadn't considered it but now I will. I appreciate your response.

After my husband passed in 2015, I lived alone with 2 dogs. I did fine, went to a senior center and made friends there. Volunteered at a hospital, and other places. I made a point of getting out, staying active, and staying engaged in society as long as I could. I liked it and even cut back on the volunteering since COVID hit and still get out and socialize, in a safe way.

Back