Do you think we all have the same sense of morality?

In my opinion, while we are all human, we are wired differently when it comes to issues of morality. But I believe we all have a basic sense of morality. Do you think we all have the same sense of morality?

I think people do have a basic sense of morality. At least, most people. Otherwise cultures and societies would not have developed basic laws and rules that most people follow or at least strive to follow. And this has been true since people have been around and formed groups. People had to agree what basic rules and laws were to be followed, or there would just be chaos. I'm talking basic here, like do not kill.

Now when you are talking more complex issues of morality, that's where divergence happens although I still think there are some issues and taboos that are generally agreed upon.

To answer this, all we have to do is think back to the passionate convictions on both sides during the Civil War. Both sides were absolutely convinced that they were morally right. There are still statues up all over the South, honoring "the brave men who fought for the Confederacy."

And what about the European wars of religion, the Thirty Years War, for instance? Each side was convinced that they had God's blessing, and the other side was wrong and deserved death (and worse!).

On a less bloody level, how many people living in the world today are convinced that it's morally required to observe certain religious rituals, it's morally forbidden to eat certain foods, etc.?

It might make more sense to ask, "Do ANY two people in the world share the same sense of morality?"

Back