Do you want to be a snowbird? Have you already moved? Where would you rather move to , if you could?

I live in Pennsylvania. I used to get a lot of snow, and long frigid nights. Last winter, it was rather nice. But my brother wants to become a snowbird. That is, he wants to leave the cold of Massachusetts behind him. He may move permanently. I was stationed in GTMO, Cuba. It was 82 in the day, and 72 F at night, day after day, after day. Here in paradise, I missed the seasons changing.
Do you want to be a snowbird? Have you already moved? Where would you rather move to , if you could?

I live in Pennsylvania. I used to get a lot of snow, and long frigid nights. Last winter, it was rather nice. But my brother wants to become a snowbird. That is, he wants to leave the cold of Massachusetts behind him. He may move permanently. I was stationed in GTMO, Cuba. It was 82 in the day, and 72 F at night, day after day, after day. Here in paradise, I missed the seasons changing.
You live in Monroe County. I patrolled that area for a few years. I wouldn’t exactly call it paradise.

I live in New Jersey and some summer days can be brutal. When fall comes I'm more than ready for it.
I spent one Thanksgiving in Florida when my daughter lived there and to me a full course turkey dinner eaten on the patio in 80 degree heat just didn't cut the mustard.
Winter is welcome also,time for all my projects.
I definitely don't want to be a snow bird.

I live in New Jersey and some summer days can be brutal. When fall comes I'm more than ready for it.
I spent one Thanksgiving in Florida when my daughter lived there and to me a full course turkey dinner eaten on the patio in 80 degree heat just didn't cut the mustard.
Winter is welcome also,time for all my projects.
I definitely don't want to be a snow bird.
I'm the opposite. I was delighted to get away from East Coast winters when I moved to the West Coast- and the only snow I ever saw was fake in stores' holiday displays.

I was under the impression snowbirds were people who go to warmer climates during their home areas' cold seasons.. as for me, though, I wish I could permanently relocate to an area where it's hot throughout the year.

I want to be a sun bird. Make that, I want to get away from the hell that's Austin, TX., in the summer.

If not for Janet, I'd take my RV into the mountains, from May through September, and then head back to Austin. Janet refuses to live in an RV for five months, so we may move to Colorado, and take on the winters, there, along with the mild summers.

Being from Chicago, I think I can handle the winters. If the damn virus abates, I may find out.

I'm fine where I am.

images

No! My parents were snow birds from 1992 until 3 years ago. They travelled to Florida for 6 months. They left right after thanksgiving and usually came back for Easter and they loved it. My dad played tennis three time’s a week and played the piano at time’s during happy hour(s). My mom did Tai Chi and yoga. It was great for their arthritis and mental well being.

It’s not something I’m interested in. I’m not nearly as social, dislike the heat, and would really miss having a white Christmas and enjoying the 4 seasons. Caring for a home thats not lived in for 6 months of the year can be scary. Mice move in permanently and start families.

We have talked about moving but not south; possibly west or east or downsize to an apartment. The apartment isn’t something I’m too open to but perhaps when I’m older I will change my mind. i don’t want to be a snowbird. My ideal place would be a nice little house with some land, a lake or river and people around but not too many of them. Medical care would need be offered not too far away.

Last edited:
No, I have not thought about it nor would I want to do it. I lived in FL when I was a kid growing up and loved it. Back then hot weather was great. I know people put NY down, but I love it. I traveled the whole country with my husband in an over the road truck and I could not wait to see those green mountains of PA & NY. Just today, driving through our state passing all the dark green forests that cover the hills took my breath away. I live in a small pretty city and never want to leave here. I think our weather is just right. I too, like the snow in the winter and the change of seasons. About August I will be anxiously waiting for fall and cooler temperatures. To be completely honest, I am a "hot person", so that has a lot to do with me loving the cooler weather. I barely had my heat on all winter, felt great. I did live in St. Petersburg, FL in 1994-96 and I could not stand the heat then either. I worked at Home Shopping Network in Clearwater and loved how cold they kept our building. It made the job a bit easier for me (but not for everybody else). Though neighbors would look strangely at you, when you left for work in sweatsuits on hot days! (Yes, it was that cold in there!)

We were "sunbirds" for ten years (leaving Florida for 4-5 months in the summer). This is our first summer staying home - Yikes! it's hot!

I thought we'd be up in the Blue Ridge again for the summer, but the house that I made an offer to buy had the deal fall through and then the pandemic happened. It seemed wiser just to sit still and wait til things settle down to start searching again. We sold the RV and truck last month.

I think maybe next month I may drive up and start looking again.

I could never live where it's hot and humid all summer and with tropical bugs, snakes, gators, etc.

FL is very pretty, but not worth the discomfort for me. I also burn hot.

Me, too. We were stationed in Alabama for a couple years, and while I really loved the beautiful greenness of the landscape, I thought the summers were horrible -- the heat, humidity, the bugs and snakes were just too much.

We've already done that.. have been snow-birds for the last 20 years. We have a home in Southern Spain.. although we haven't used it as much in the last few years due to work commitments we've had to spend the majority of our time in the UK, and just holiday in Spain a couple times a year, so we rent the house out currently and we'll be selling after Covid and we're not sure if we'll buy another but smaller place in a different part of Spain, or whether we'll buy a small bolthole in the UK..

Back