Does anyone else talk out loud to themselves at home?

It's when I start arguing with myself that I get worried about my mental state.....
Years ago, I had a roommate, Dave, who use to argue with himself. He'd really go at it, when he thought he was alone. I remember he wanted to see this girl, but it was late and it was an hour drive. He rambled for a long time. That was a tough decision.:)

5 reasons talking to yourself is good for you.....
"Talking to yourself seems to yield real benefits, from boosts in cognitive performance to improved emotional regulation. "
https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/talking-to-yourself/

If you talk to yourself, keep it up. If not, start. It's good for you.
I'm not much for talking to myself, but I do talk to my cat, Misty. I'm hoping it will keep her from getting lonely, since it's just the two of us.
That's good news! I've been told I even talk to myself when walking down the street.

Does anyone else talk out loud to themselves at home?​

I appreciate a dose of sympathy when I'm feeling much pain or on the verge of blacking out. If no one else is at home I give myself a verbal pep talk. Also, I believe that I may be on the threshold of developing dyslexia so I often read my written words aloud to get the feel of how it sounds before I post it.

Not this person beyond occasionally blurting out things to the universe or TV.

Thread reminds me, I need to get back to occasional at home weekly sessions reading out loud in order for this single person living alone to use his vocal muscles that requires regular use to remain in good articulation form.

I yelled at the TV this morning. I haven't done that in about 40 years. On a Sunday news panel, one guy, commenting on the age of another guy, quoting actuarial statistics, while he himself weighs close to 400 lbs, give or take.

I talk to myself and find it a way of relieving anxiety or stress can often find it a sense of comfort and reassurance. I also am able to cuss up a storm like a drunken sailor.

I yelled at the TV this morning. I haven't done that in about 40 years. On a Sunday news panel, one guy, commenting on the age of another guy, quoting actuarial statistics, while he himself weighs close to 400 lbs, give or take.
I did the same thing a number of years ago ... shout, that is. It was a text TV quiz.

QUESTION: "On what continent is the city of Rio De Janeiro?"
ANSWER: "South Africa"

I nearly put my foot through the TV screen! :mad: I did telephone the station but the buggers didn't seem at all concerned! (n)

I am "hard of hearing" so leave notes to myself!! LOLOL
LOL Just be careful with talking to your self because you might be yelling to yourself and not know it! :ROFLMAO:
I understand it's OK to talk to yourself
as long as you don't answer yourself.
LOL Or ask your self to repeat it! :ROFLMAO:
Remember the story of Ben Gunn? He was cast adrift, alone on a desert island and because he was all alone with no-one to talk to, he lost the ability to speak. Therefore talking out loud is vital. It is also less of a strain on the head muscles. I find that thinking too much makes my head very tense and gives me a head-ache.
Yes, I think thinking out loud keeps all the equipment working right, like exercising. Anything not used or not used much will atrophy. I remember reading the book Locked In Silence about the traumatized 12 yr old kid who stopped talking. Once he was ready to talk again, his voice box couldn't make a sound. Took lots of exercise just for his voice box to make sounds, then once that part was done, the part of his brain that turns thoughts into words atrophied so he could not find the words for what he wanted to say. He would say stuff like pencil when he meant cup and stuff like that. Took a while to get his brain working again. And that was a young brain. So I think people who think out loud do it intuitively to keep things flowing right in the brain. I also think thinking out loud helps those who have a hard time turning their thoughts off to go to sleep. Give the thoughts a voice and that might help. :)

I don't talk out loud to myself when alone, but I might on occasion, after glancing around, surreptitiously slip myself a confidential note on a scrap of paper.

Back