Does the age of your ancestors at death tend to foretell your life expectancy?

My mother died at 39.. my father a 20 a day smoker who had smoked since he was 9 years old.. died at 82... after several strokes brought on by PD...

My paternal grandmother never smoked a day in her life, and died at 82.. my paternal grandfather a smoker all his life died at 76 the same week as my mother..

My Paternal Great grandfather was still alive , hale and hearty at 93 , when he got run over by a bus on his way to the pub for his daily shot of whisky

I’m so sorry. @hollydolly
I was going to follow up saying My mom never smoked or drank. She died at 54.
My dad drank lots for many many years, had lots of health issues, he lived to 82.
it makes no sense to me. I loved them both.
My father never drank a day in his life... but he never ate any kind of junk food or snacks... he believed in just eating breakfast and dinner.. and altho' he smoked a pack a day.. he walked everywhere as much as he could rather than drive.. he always said his weight never altered from when he was first married

Does the age of your ancestors at death tend to foretell your life expectancy?
I am sure there's a relationship but lots of things impact life expectancy, and in my case my ancestors life lengths varied a lot.

My mother died at 77 from lung cancer, she had smoked for about 10 years and quit more than 50 years before she got cancer.
Her mother died at 60 of pancreatic cancer. It does seem to be hereditary, two of her sisters and some of their kids died of it, but none of my grandmother's descendants have. So maybe I am safe.
Her father was a life long chain cigar smoker, a box a day, and he died at 99.

My father died at 85, but that was after my brother committed suicide, I think that's what killed him. He had been in good health before...
His mother died at 85 of a heart attack.
His father died at 95 of Parkinson's, he had been overweight most of his life.
His father's father died at 102 after falling out of a tree, whiskey was the problem. He's the one I want to follow!

So based on this I should already be dead, or could live another 32 years, maybe longer if I stay out of trees...

My mother died at 51, from a massive heart attack. My father died at 61 from cancer. Both of my grandfathers died in their early 40's, one from cancer, one from an aneurysm. Both grandmothers died at the age of 61, one from cancer, one from a stroke. Sometimes it worries me, but I do everything I can to stay healthy. It's in God's hands.

My mother died at 51, from a massive heart attack. My father died at 61 from cancer. Both of my grandfathers died in their early 40's, one from cancer, one from an aneurysm. Both grandmothers died at the age of 61, one from cancer, one from a stroke. Sometimes it worries me, but I do everything I can to stay healthy. It's in God's hands.
are you older now than they were ?

My paternal grandparents both died at age 64. My father also died at 64 of a heart attack.

My maternal grandfather died at 73 from a heart attack. Maternal grandmother lived to be 92, died of natural causes. She was a cold, unfeeling woman but lived a long life. My mother died at 86.

I probably take after my grandmother, too mean to die for a long time. I'm planning on it.🙂

Based on what I read, George Burns smoked 10-15 cigars a day until he died at 100.

My father died at 89. His sister just turned 92 this month. Their mother was pretty old when she died but I don't recall ever asking about her age.

My mom is currently 90. Her father died at 91 and mother at 85.

I think genetics plays a major part. You can have someone eat at McDonald's everyday who could live to 90+ because of longevity genes.

Last edited:
I think so.
My mom is 89 and my dad is 94.
My grandmother died at about 78 and I don’t know when my grandfather died on my dads side or either grandparents on my moms side. I never knew them. Generally speaking I think if your family genes carry longevity, then the chances of you living a naturally long life are more likely

Back