Downsizing...

We did when we came to live in Central Florida. This house is the perfect size for us two. It offers plenty of room as well as storage. It is a one story home with a large screened front porch and a large screened lanai in the back for outdoor Florida living. Very easy to maintain which was also our objective.

I would love to downsize; new house wouldn't necessarily have to be smaller but on a smaller lot and closer to town (stores, etc. we could walk to) but husb refuses to.
We must downsize. Too old to keep up our large yard & house fixits. But my husband, too, hates the idea. Hates change, maybe. Is it always the husbands? I'd look forward to Ind. Living with people to interact with, instead of isolation.

We must downsize. Too old to keep up our large yard & house fixits. But my husband, too, hates the idea. Hates change, maybe. Is it always the husbands? I'd look forward to Ind. Living with people to interact with, instead of isolation.
I think it is, if not always, at least most of the time, the husbands. From my experience, both online and in-real-life, what elderly woman seem to care about is other people (which usually means family, which usually means kids/grandchildren). What elderly men seem to care about is proving they can still do/handle what they did when they were younger. Sad but I've seen that over and over; for instance, I've heard with my own ears a man say, "My house means everything to me." I've never heard a woman say that. They'll talk about their family meaning a lot but talking about a pile of wood and drywall like that? Nope.

Its hard for my hub to say he'd move when he physically designed and built this big place and its a "bunker"...not a stick house - our insurance company, which is national sized, says its the only house of this cement, rebar built they've ever insured. Its built like a high rise building. He got the idea from work as a project engineer for Anheuser Busch...lol.

In a way, we downsized a few years ago. We moved from the City to the suburbs. In the City, we lived in a 3-story house. Now we have our main floor with 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, living room, and a dining room . We also have a basement with a bathroom. We have a chairlift to go to the basement. I love it here.

I downsized to live in an RV then upsized again for a my 2bd house (which at 965sqf is a small house, so still...not a lot of stuff). It's difficult in that it's a lot of work and it's shocking now little people are willing to pay for well cared for, high quality items, but it is SUCH a liberating thing to do!

In the UK what you call the first floor, we call the ground floor.What you call the second floor is the First floor to us ! :D
Funny because our ground floor is actually a lower level walk-out. Our plan is referred to as a reverse. (Think of earth contact) our 1st floor is a main floor that opens to the front of the home.

Downsizing: I am slowly giving up things that were once so important to me. Slowly getting rid of stuff is also a way of saying "good bye" to, and making peace with my life; it's a transition; preparing myself for life in heaven where I don't need all that junk.

BC Flash: in 2017, when my kids had the blanket made for me as shown in the avatar, I had 4 Boxers. Three died (the girls lived to 14 and 15) and I adopted 2 new stray ones and have now three Boxers. Ross 7 years from the L.A. Boxer Rescue (the second one from the right on the avatar,) Otto 4 years from the Riverside Animal Shelter, and Heidi 2 years from the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter.

Last edited:

Back