Dream Homes... (past & present), what was, or still is your ideal dream home?

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Would it be fashioned out of brick or stone, would it have a tile, slate, or copper roof, would it be grand or would it be small, would it be a cabin made from logs, with a tall stone fireplace, would it be hidden away in the forest somewhere, or would it be on an open acreage or range, would the property be treed, or would the property be landscaped like a park?

Here is my dream home (husbands, too).

Modern concrete and glass, single level style home, with large expanses of glass, high ceilings, polished concrete floors, and an open floor plan.

Plot-95-Exterior-1.jpg

house-bras-ddm-architectuur-architecture-residential-houses-antwerp-belgium-_dezeen_2364_col_0.jpg

My dream home is a cozy cottage in the woods.

View attachment 151459

This one happens to have a sandy beach across the road. Bonus! Trees being acoustical, I'm sure I'd be hearing the ocean waves while I sat out there enjoying that fire pit. S'more?
So lovely, Mur!

While I don't see a stone or brock chimney rising from the rooftop, I just know you'd have a fireplace inside. :)

Marg, That's INCCREDIBLE!!!
My dream home would be a square log cabin with large open windows. The only inside wall would be to the bathroom and part to my art studio. (to hide my messes)
The ceilings would be very high. It would have a shingled roof and wood shingles around the foundation. It would be nestled in Ponderosa Pine trees with flowers of lavender, blue flax, blue cornflower, lilacs and blue morning glories. It would have a huge wrap around porch and deck. (I'm imagining this as I'm writing) It would have Saltillo pavers throughout the entire home. No carpet. The decor would be all white and natural wood. with beams in the kitchen to hang antique kitchen tools. Huge closets and a huge library. It would have a large romantic wood fireplace. I will design it from the inside out!
This was fun Marg!

Last edited:
Marg, That's INCCREDIBLE!!!
My dream home would be a square log cabin with large open windows. The only inside wall would be to the bathroom and part to my art studio. (to hide my messes)
The ceilings would be very high. It would have a shingled roof and wood shingles around the foundation. It would be nestled in Ponderosa Pine trees with flowers of lavender, blue flax, blue cornflower, lilacs and blue morning glories. It would have a huge wrap around porch and deck. (I'm imagining this as I'm writing) It would have Saltillo pavers throughout the entire home. No carpet. The decor would be all white and natural wood. with beams in the kitchen to hang antique kitchen tools. Huge closets and a huge library. It would have a large romantic wood fireplace.
This was fun Marg!
Hubby and I have it all figured out, Gaer... if we save and hoard our pennies for another 500 years, we just may have enough pulled together to afford the concrete! LOL!

I love the sounds of your dream home!

Log cabins with high, open ceilings are to die for, and your planned library is me to a T!

And yes, you got it, thought it would make for a fun discussion. :)

I don't have any pictures of them but some of the houses along the 17 Mile Drive in the Carmel area have been houses I've considered dream houses since my childhood. I think for me it's a combination of location and view.

Although I loved the glass house I stayed in once with it's gorgeous views of the Big Sur coast it's a little bit far from everything so I don't consider it a dream home.

I drew up plans for a dream house I'd want to have if I ever became incredibly wealthy. That didn't happen so the house only exists in my mind.

I find that it is interesting how many folks can show a picture of the sort of thing they want. In contrast, I only ever think of features and not about what the outside would look like. Sure, having usable outside spaces like a deck or screened porch, but not the actual design of the exterior.

I want open spaces, wide doors and hallways for practical reasons and storage. The convinces that growing older could warrant as far as general layout.

I want a commercial kitchen that would include things like walk-n refrigerator and a walk-in freezer, a commercial dishwashing station, veg prep area with a foot operated sink, steam injector oven and a salamander broiler.

A large spacious utility/mud room and attached greenhouse.

And most of all , the dedicated listening room of my audiophile dreams.

Back