Eat Here. I Dare You

fmdog44

I watched To Hell And Back Tonight. It is another Gordon Ramsey restaurant do-over shows. This place was in Greensborough SC (or NC) and it was the town's favorite. Ramsey instructed the patrons to walk back through the kitchen and view the horrors. The owner and crew have been there for decades and the kitchen was an unsanitary nightmare. So after Ramsey does his thing and reopens the place the townsfolk are invited to try it out. Here is my question. If you knew a place has been serving you dangerously stored food in a filthy kitchen for as long as you have been going there would you return after the rejuvenation or would you pledge to never return? For me, I would never give them one penny again.

...The owner and crew have been there for decades and the kitchen was an unsanitary nightmare...If you knew a place has been serving you dangerously stored food in a filthy kitchen for as long as you have been going there would you return after the rejuvenation or would you pledge to never return? For me, I would never give them one penny again.
Gross.

That's why I always check the sanitation score before eating out.
It's the law that they must have it posted up front.
Even then, you can't always trust the help. The score has to be 98 or more for me to eat there.

About 10 years ago, I pulled up to a "Cook Out" fast food place. Their score was 105%.
I said to them, "I've never seen a 105. How is that even possible?"
They said they had to pay extra for that. What?? That sounds crooked on the highest level.

Next time I went their score was just under 100. I asked them why it dropped.
They told me it was too expensive to pay extra for the higher score.

Googled source says that 100 is the highest but you can get another 2 points for extra training/seminar.
Maybe they changed it from 5 to 2 over the years.
They are shut down if they get a score of under 70. Eww

I agree with OP even if "reworked" the often lax attitude is probably what got it in the unsanitary condition to begin with.
I think many people would be surprised by conditions in restaurants/ even stores with delis etc.

I think depending on location the health department score is not always a dependable thing ... in my area unless a case of sickness etc the restaurants may see an inspection every 3 years and they often KNOW when it will happen.....
often after the inspection there is fix this and that ..then score is calculated
Much like the reworked place the cleaned up for inspection does not guarantee continued compliance.

I'v never even heard of "health department scores"? When traveling we pull off the highway and find a place that looks decent, eat, and are on our way.

Locally, we have a few eateries that we enjoy. Never thought to look up scores or ask to examine kitchens.

We're in our late 80's and haven't passed out yet so the places we've eaten must have been halfway decent or we'd be "gonners" by now.

Years ago while in New York City we stopped at a place for supper.

On the way to the ladies room you had to go past the kitchen door. On my way to the ladies ,I saw a cook holding a spoonful of coleslaw in one hand and was searching for a small dish to put it in.

He grabbed a dirty dish from a tray of dirty dishes, plopped the coleslaw into the dish, wiped the rim off with a with his apron and sent it out.

Things like this do go on but we'll never know it. We can look up health reports at various restaurants in my city but something like this would never get reported.

I'v never even heard of "health department scores"? When traveling we pull off the highway and find a place that looks decent, eat, and are on our way.

Locally, we have a few eateries that we enjoy. Never thought to look up scores or ask to examine kitchens.

We're in our late 80's and haven't passed out yet so the places we've eaten must have been halfway decent or we'd be "gonners" by now.
Yeah - "Health Scores." Here in L.A. they use letter grades. Several health inspectors made a fortune selling "A" grades to restaurants.

Yeah - "Health Scores." Here in L.A. they use letter grades. Several health inspectors made a fortune selling "A" grades to restaurants.
This is why i do not trust most programs like this. cannot buy those who implement this sort of programs do not see it right off the potential for abuse
False sense of security and people seem shocked when the fraud is uncovered ...

No, I would never go back to that restaurant if you paid me. My stomach is sensitive anyway. It doesn't
take much for me to experience upset stomach if the food is bad. Appetizers are my way of telling if a restaurant
is good or not. If I don't have any bad effects after eating the appetizers, I order the food. If I walk away, and get
an upset stomach or diarrhea (sorry for the graphics) shortly after, I never return.

I've never looked up a health department score before eating somewhere. I guess I've just been lucky and never had a bad experience. The only time I gave it a second thought was when I went to a local chinese buffet restaurant I had been to before, and when I walked up to the door I saw a sign on the door: "This Establishment is Closed By Order of the XXX Health Department." It reopened some time later, and then was shut down again! I never stepped foot in it again. It's now out of business and been replaced by (surprise!) a mattress store. :rolleyes:

Back