Elon Musk not as rational a thinker as he thinks he is

As we've seen in recent times, for some being a billionaire tends to warp their own self-perception, causing them to proclaim what "geniuses" they are...as if the pursuit and love of money somehow is a mark of superior intelligence. Greed is not a great indicator of rational thought, perhaps the reverse, I'd argue.
Their success in one arena convinces them that they are geniuses in other arenas

Wow! What an erroneous assumption. I stumbled across the article i posted on my browser newsfeed. Then read it to make sure he'd actually said it and it wasn't another case of a misleading headline misrepresenting the actual content.

Generally, i try to look for points of agreement with people even if i have no fondness for them. For example i agree with his low opinion of staff meetings.
Because I like Elon Musk and think he is brilliant; is an erroneous assumption?
I think he is genius in many areas. You took one question out of his conversation to prove your previous opinion of him.
It's good to question. Great minds discuss ideas; not condemn other people. (yes, paraphrased from Eleanor Roosevelt)

I have no problems with people on the spectrum but for some reason all these famous rich people are trying to claim that for the crazy things they do. They are insulting and degrading the people that truly are overcoming great challenges in life. That just boils my blood!

Because I like Elon Musk and think he is brilliant; is an erroneous assumption?
No, your suggestion that i watched the podcast to find something to criticize him on was erroneous assumption. i don't do that. I do challenge what i consider poorly thought out ideas.

I think he is genius in many areas. You took one question out of his conversation to prove your previous opinion of him.
Again with the accusations! Will not explain myself to again as you clearly didn't read or process my previous response to you in which i thought the headline might have misquoted him.

It's good to question. Great minds discuss ideas; not condemn other people. (yes, paraphrased from Eleanor Roosevelt)

Yes it's good to question, even oneself, which is why i read article. But the question at issue here is a backhanded way of implying we must be he only sentient life in the universe.

And you might want examine your own behavior before lecturing anyone else on civil debate. Particularly editing out the accusation you made.
My bad for not noticing when i hit reply that you'd changed it. I'd gotten offline for a while to do chores and errands, but responded when i came back. If i had noticed i'd have laughed,and just ignored the comment entirely, even tho your original post is quoted in its entirety in comment #13 by @Paco Dennis. So i did not imagine it.

Last edited:
Had to track this down because @feywon didn't provide a link except to the MSNBC station with some gal whining about Musk's lack of using his celebrity for worthwhile causes. I am not on any post smartphone social media, don't follow celebrities and rarely watch social media podcasts except if about science. Am so disconnected that I had to look him up on Wikipedia to recall his background. He has BS's in economics and physics and has a South African accent. And now recall he made the big bucks when ebay [1.5 miles away from my residence] bought Paypal. He now has an AI background so would likely find talking to this person of interest.

So after a few minutes of the so called 4 person Nelk Boys 3+ hour podcast I recall a major reason why. Continuous F word profanity for no reason. Per below youtube link, Musk made his appearance in a xyzspike Engine t-shirt at 17:27 and immediately began drinking a beer they gave him, so not too serious. Recorded a loose transcript of the start per below of just his responses to get the vibe. Later after 47:00 stopped to just listen. He obviously knows much of the media is out to make him look bad and create blabbering media controversies, just like they do with many celebrities in this era.

I really don't know what @feywon was referring to after listening to over an hour of the 3 hour podcast. He absolutely does not have a solid belief there are no aliens but rather suspects there are none currently nearby. Much of the time they were all laughing and joking. @feywon is a bright person I've come to respect here so suspect it may have been quotes without listening to the long podcast as I did. Of course since so many dislike him due to many PC social media haters, suspected whatever was taken out of context. He does like to provoke the PC crowd with tweets to annoy them back. [they deserve it haha] Media manipulation is something I've complained about at length about media in the current era that is often about politics or progressive social issues. One reason why I don't even want to read or listen to so much from our media so as not to be manipulated. Just go to 59:00 to listen to the aliens part. His ideas and opinions on aliens are no different than many other with credible science knowledge. So yeah another media hit job.

--------------------------
How was your day?
How did this all come about? [podcast]
Are you in Texas full time?
You used to be in Cali?
What's that movement like Cali to Texas?
What made you move out here to Texas?
So the Starlink launches, they're directly with the Starship?
How often are the starship launches?
Is it available like now? [starlink Internet service]
There's a long waitlist? [customers]
You've been supplying for Ukraine? You've been helping the Internet there?
Were you hesitant at all? From any negative backlash from Russia?
Remember when you smoked weed on Joe Rogan? Backlash?
They even drug tested you for weed? [Feds after competitor complaints]
Musk indicated it was a mistake because he had to apologize to his employees that were then all randomly as hed then tested for a year. Several more laughing drug questions.

At 47:00 began discussing space stuff including habitable planet engineering of the Moon and Mars.
At 59:20 Musk himself brings up the Fermi Paradox then explains

Musk >>>Fermi Paradox is Where are the aliens? If the universe is really 13.8 billion years old, shouldn't there be aliens everwhere? Um and if not why not? An..I think it was Carl Sagan that said, "There appears to be either...either no aliens or a lot of aliens." And...either one is equally terrifying. Meaning if there are no aliens, then what we have here is very rare. Well this is odds are... this is like the great physicist Enrico Fermi who posed the question, "where are the aliens?" Um a lot of people ask me like, "What about the aliens? Have you seen any aliens?" I say I've seen no evidence of alien. So there's like advanced programs, that the military has that are classified, and they wouldn't so...you know if they xyz missile or something. Even if somebody else, in the military saw that, then they would still not tell them what it was, cuz its classified. So...to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any evidence, and I'd think I'd know. [asked think aliens dangerous]
1:01:30 If so were in trouble.
1:05:00 [asked "What's your gut feeling if they exist or not? Like your gut? There's no hard evidence but..""] I don't think there are aliens at least in our sector of the galaxy. [So your gut is that they don't exist?] Not in our sector of the galaxy. So there might be aliens in a portion, a far away portion of the galaxy. If by aliens you mean could potentially travel to here or like that, [no, just in general] Alien you could talk to? Like or microbes? Cuz that be a boring alien...You should think of these things as probabilities not certainties.
1:08:25 I think the biggest danger right not is population collapse. [long discussion]

At this point I turned it off. I'm out of here and will be driving the 55 miles up to San Francisco tomorrow for the first time in 9 months for some street fun.

Last edited:
According to reports that I have seen, Elon has an IQ of 160. At last checking, mine was 140 using the Woodcock-Johnson IQ test. I have to respect his intelligence, but even the smartest people aren't always right.

Had to track this down because @feywon didn't provide a link except to the MSNBC station with some gal whining about Musk's lack of using his celebrity for worthwhile causes. I am not on any post smartphone social media, don't follow celebrities and rarely watch social media podcasts except if about science. Am so disconnected that I had to look him up on Wikipedia to recall his background. He has BS's in economics and physics and has a South African accent. And now recall he made the big bucks when ebay [1.5 miles away from my residence] bought Paypal. He now has an AI background so would likely find talking to this person of interest.

So after a few minutes of the so called 4 person Nelk Boys 3+ hour podcast I recall a major reason why. Continuous F word profanity for no reason. Per below youtube link, Musk made his appearance in a xyzspike Engine t-shirt at 17:27 and immediately began drinking a beer they gave him, so not too serious. Recorded a loose transcript of the start per below of just his responses to get the vibe. Later after 47:00 stopped to just listen. He obviously knows much of the media is out to make him look bad and create blabbering media controversies, just like they do with many celebrities in this era.

I really don't know what @feywon was referring to after listening to over an hour of the 3 hour podcast. He absolutely does not have a solid belief there are no aliens but rather suspects there are none currently nearby. Much of the time they were all laughing and joking. @feywon is a bright person I've come to respect here so suspect it may have been quotes without listening to the long podcast as I did. Of course since so many dislike him due to many PC social media haters, suspected whatever was taken out of context. He does like to provoke the PC crowd with tweets to annoy them back. [they deserve it haha] Media manipulation is something I've complained about at length about media in the current era that is often about politics or progressive social issues. One reason why I don't even want to read or listen to so much from our media so as not to be manipulated. Just go to 59:00 to listen to the aliens part. His ideas and opinions on aliens are no different than many other with credible science knowledge. So yeah another media hit job.

--------------------------
How was your day?
How did this all come about? [podcast]
Are you in Texas full time?
You used to be in Cali?
What's that movement like Cali to Texas?
What made you move out here to Texas?
So the Starlink launches, they're directly with the Starship?
How often are the starship launches?
Is it available like now? [starlink Internet service]
There's a long waitlist? [customers]
You've been supplying for Ukraine? You've been helping the Internet there?
Were you hesitant at all? From any negative backlash from Russia?
Remember when you smoked weed on Joe Rogan? Backlash?
They even drug tested you for weed? [Feds after competitor complaints]
Musk indicated it was a mistake because he had to apologize to his employees that were then all randomly as hed then tested for a year. Several more laughing drug questions.

At 47:00 began discussing space stuff including habitable planet engineering of the Moon and Mars.
At 59:20 Musk himself brings up the Fermi Paradox then explains

Musk >>>Fermi Paradox is Where are the aliens? If the universe is really 13.8 billion years old, shouldn't there be aliens everwhere? Um and if not why not? An..I think it was Carl Sagan that said, "There appears to be either...either no aliens or a lot of aliens." And...either one is equally terrifying. Meaning if there are no aliens, then what we have here is very rare. Well this is odds are... this is like the great physicist Enrico Fermi who posed the question, "where are the aliens?" Um a lot of people ask me like, "What about the aliens? Have you seen any aliens?" I say I've seen no evidence of alien. So there's like advanced programs, that the military has that are classified, and they wouldn't so...you know if they xyz missile or something. Even if somebody else, in the military saw that, then they would still not tell them what it was, cuz its classified. So...to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any evidence, and I'd think I'd know. [asked think aliens dangerous]
1:01:30 If so were in trouble.
1:05:00 [asked "What's your gut feeling if they exist or not? Like your gut? There's no hard evidence but..""] I don't think there are aliens at least in our sector of the galaxy. [So your gut is that they don't exist?] Not in our sector of the galaxy. So there might be aliens in a portion, a far away portion of the galaxy. If by aliens you mean could potentially travel to here or like that, [no, just in general] Alien you could talk to? Like or microbes? Cuz that be a boring alien...You should think of these things as probabilities not certainties.
1:08:25 I think the biggest danger right not is population collapse. [long discussion]

At this point I turned it off. I'm out of here and will be driving the 55 miles up to San Francisco tomorrow for the first time in 9 months for some street fun.

I made clear i did NOT the full podcast, but read an article. My issue was with a single question quoted in the article that i found, well..well questionable. But if you want to to waste your time as you did instead of addressing that particular question have it.

However, it appears, according to your transcript, which i am not going to wade thru profanity and pointless discussion to verify, that the question was taken out of context. So my remark about him may have been unfair. My issue with that question, which is just a version of the same tired argument against alien life forms stands.

Many people on the autistic spectrum are actually highly intelligent.
Believe me i know, from personal experience. My grandson lost verbal skills at 2 yrs, tho he had been developing them. He was diagnosed, got some 'therapy' and in a few years he regained them.

He has more of the classic signs than his Dad and Uncle (my sons) have, but the interviewer who screened him and his parents to get him some help opined that judging from what she learned and observed my son was as well. She listed her reasons and since my other son displays the same signs, he probably is too. But in some ways the lack if diagnosis was a blessing, the Navy probably wouldn't have accepted the son that did 20 years in the service had he been officially diagnosed before applying.

However, as @Blessed noted in comment #28, some famous people are claiming it and using it as a way to not take responsibility for their words and acts.

Last edited:

Back