Expiration Dates. Do You Monitor Them Closely?

We can only buy chilled eggs in a supermarket here and once they've been cooled, it's not recommended to store them at room temp. Farms can sell room temp eggs directly to a customer stores can't.
yes but this works on chilled eggs too... take an egg out of your fridge now and try it... (y)

About the only thing we notice spoiling not too far past its "Best By" date is milk. It seems to begin to spoil within a week after its "date". So, we never buy any more than we plan to use in the date range.

If I buy a larger block of cheddar cheese, even with a long date, once I cut into the block the mould seems to start not long after. Same if I grate up some for later. Advice from Health Canada is to not eat it.

Those bags of cheese rarely seem to deteriorate. Or bags of fresh cut vegetables. There’re no preservatives listed. I find this hard to believe.

I think regarding some things they are a rip off. I had a cold last year and found some night time cold liquid in my cupboard. Expired 6+ years. Took the last two doses, worked and no ill effects.

I just put some organic pumpkin pie seasoning in my oatmeal. Expired two years. The stuff is fine. I know somethings can go bad but I wonder if these dates are a rip off, especially regarding some medications.

Thoughts?
I understand your point here, but there is risk in taking medications, even over the counter, beyond the expiration date. It's not because they won't work necessarily, although the efficacy no doubt goes down. The issue is that the testing and research into medications does not include what happens if you take them six years after they're expired. Pumpkin pie seasoning may be fine, but I'd be more cautious about medicines.

I buy almost no meat or dairy, but what the small amount I buy (for guests) goes directly into the freezer. Butter, shredded cheese (for pizza), pepperoni and butter all freeze well. When I make a pot of rice I break it into small portions and freeze those, too.

When it comes to packaged goods like pasta, canned goods, spices, etc., I consider expiration dates to be guidelines rather than rules.

Back