Extortionate cost of beefburgers

:) lol, I want no gifts or opportunities from the likes of you, jimintoronto. Take my words any way you wish, take them with poison for all I care, but I will explain. *IF* you do not like my countrymen, *THEN* I do not like you either.
Got it. Another American who can't understand why her country has the bad reputation that it does. By the way, your quote "better red than dead "..... would this be a good time to point out that YOUR FLAG has quite a bit of RED on it. Blocked. JimB.

Eating out in a resort town or somewhere there's a special event is certainly expensive. I paid $6 for a slice of pizza in Atlantic City (NJ) when I was on my way to catch the bus to go home. I was in an area further down the boardwalk that didn't have many venues and one of my eyes was so hazy that day, I could hardly see out of it. Between that and feeling starved, I had to pay that price. The most I've paid for pizza in my area was between $1.75 and $2 a slice. Of course with the inflationary price of food in the supermarkets and probably restaurant suppliers too,(don't know if it's as bad in the U.K. as the U.S.) is likely a contributing factor.

I rarely eat ground beef, despite my pleas my wife buys it, hoping I'll make hamburgers. To me, ground beef is just a disgusting blob of ground up cow parts, lotsa fat and god-knows how much bacteria and whatever chemicals. :sick:
Unless you buy chuck & grind it yourself. The reason I buy USDA Choice Chuck & grind it myself.

ground chuck
The best ground beef to buy for burgers is 80/20 ground chuck – 80% lean meat and 20% fat. Ground chuck is ground from the shoulder and has that ideal lean-to-fat ratio of 80/20 (i.e. not too lean) for a super flavorful, juicy burger.

Chuck is good for burgers, chili, meatballs, meatloaf, in a meat sauce for pasta. Grinding chuck then vacuum sealing as is & not adding preservatives is a plus. Adding the spices you enjoy another plus. Toss in forming burgers filled with cheese or bacon bits from bacon you smoked from a slab of pork is possible .

Having a Kitchen Aid stand mixer that you can buy attachments for was all about eliminating
"disgusting blob of ground up cow parts, lotsa fat and god-knows how much bacteria and whatever chemicals"
Doesn't hurt either to save money by buying chuck on sale to be able to make a variety of meals.

Retirement is great it allows for eating better by controlling what goes into what you make.

Last edited:
Come on you two. Play nice. ✌️
The conversations about the price of burgers. ☮️
Let’s not be snarky towards one another.
I pointed out that SOME US companies have failed in Canada, due to a lack of forethought about how to adapt to working in a different country, with different employment rules. Target was the example I pointed to. It took them less than 2 years to declare bankruptcy in Canada. MANY US companies have been VERY sucessfull in Canada, such as WalMart, McDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks, because they did their research before they started doing business in Canada, and they understood that Canada has it's own laws and employment regulations, that have to be obeyed. Imagine a US company starting up in Canada, and being surprised to learn that we are a country with two "official languages " , or that in Canada paid maternity leave is the law, right across the country ? Or that in Canada you can't fire somebody on a whim, or because they want to join a union.

Facts . JimB.

One of the local healthfood stores has a outdoor grill and I was going to get something one day. The prices for a veggie burger were nuts. I passed.

I got these at Grocery Outlet for $2.99. Grabbed 3 boxes.

View attachment 295943
What’s in them?
Never mind. I’ve got it.
Carrots, Onions, String Beans, Oat Bran, Soybeans, Zucchini, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Peas, Broccoli, Corn, Soy Flour, Spinach, Red Peppers, Arrowroot Powder, Corn Starch, Garlic, Corn Meal, Sea Salt, Spices.

That’s a very good price and they are gluten free. That’s a bonus. Great find.

Last edited:
One of the local healthfood stores has a outdoor grill and I was going to get something one day. The prices for a veggie burger were nuts. I passed.

I got these at Grocery Outlet for $2.99. Grabbed 3 boxes.
I like the Dr. Praeger California Veggie Burgers. Very few ingredients and no junk ingredients or additives... haven't tried the bean yet... not sure my store has them.
Ingredients in the California ones: Carrots, Onions, String Beans, Oat Bran, Soybeans, Zucchini, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Peas, Broccoli, Corn, Soy Flour, Spinach, Red Peppers, Arrowroot Powder, Corn Starch, Garlic, Corn Meal, Sea Salt, Spices

I like the Dr. Praeger California Veggie Burgers. Very few ingredients and no junk ingredients or additives... haven't tried the bean yet... not sure my store has them.
Ingredients in the California ones: Carrots, Onions, String Beans, Oat Bran, Soybeans, Zucchini, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Peas, Broccoli, Corn, Soy Flour, Spinach, Red Peppers, Arrowroot Powder, Corn Starch, Garlic, Corn Meal, Sea Salt, Spices
Yes, I get those at Trader Joe's. I had never heard of these bean burgers. They are good. Decent price.

I used to really like the Fantastic Foods "Natures Burger" dry grain mix but they stopped making it. I've tried making my own oat based burgers but so far success has been dismal. I will try again.

Yes, I get those at Trader Joe's. I had never heard of these bean burgers. They are good. Decent price.

I used to really like the Fantastic Foods "Natures Burger" dry grain mix but they stopped making it. I've tried making my own oat based burgers but so far success has been dismal. I will try again.
A good veggie burger is a lot more difficult to make than a regular meat burger. If I could find these I would definitely purchase them. I was shocked to see no fillers. That’s a great find.

I didn't realize it was so different in other parts of the country! I got a McD's regular burger last week and it was $1.89. I thought *that* was ridiculous! ☺️ Big Macs are close to $5, though.
I bought two McDoubles and two small fries for $11.00. McDonald Mc Doubles were good and $4 ea.

The McDonald’s McDouble is a cheeseburger that consists of two beef patties, mustard, ketchup, onions, and a sesame seed bun. The McDouble was created to rival the Burger King Whopper, and it is one of their most popular menu items. And it is very similar to the ever popular Big Mac, but much cheaper.

The spread between the cost of a Big Mac in different countries around the world is over $5.00.
Most expensive Switzerland $7.26; cheapest Venezuela $1.76. I assume these are average prices by country.

Last edited:
I bought two McDoubles and two small fries for $11.00. McDonald Mc Doubles were good and $4 ea.

The McDonald’s McDouble is a cheeseburger that consists of two beef patties, mustard, ketchup, onions, and a sesame seed bun. The McDouble was created to rival the Burger King Whopper, and it is one of their most popular menu items. And it is very similar to the ever popular Big Mac, but much cheaper.
Well that’s reasonable. Good find.

A spot check of eight different fast food places and found their burgers contained as little as two percent actual meat. The rest was made up of mostly water, with an unexpected side of blood vessels, nerves, fat, plant material, cartilage, and bone.

The sodium nitrite in burgers is used as a colouring agent. Research by the Cancer Research Centre of Hawaii and the University of Southern California found that the risk of pancreatic cancer was 67 percent higher for those consuming the most processed meats.

Ammonia is used to kill off pathogens found in the meat. According to a study on rats in Cancer Research, there is a connection between this chemical and colon cancer.

Preservatives have their perks, but what else is sodium benzoate doing besides keeping your meat fresh? According to a study in The Lancet, this chemical can also be affecting your children's energy. Adding sodium nitrite to their diet can result in increased hyperactivity.

If you suffer from asthma, it's in your best interest to avoid sulfites. These preservatives are used to maintain colour and increase shelf life, but a study in Clinical and Experimental Allergy showed that they can trigger an attack in 3 to 10 percent of asthmatics.

Carbon monoxide poisoning prevention has been drilled into us, which is why we all know not to leave our cars running in enclosed spaces. Carbon monoxide is used to bind with meat pigment and keep it looking red and fresh,

If you thought the fat in your burger would only affect your waistline, think again. Turns out, it could also be upping your cancer risk. When a burger is grilled, it becomes a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon. One of these PCA's, is benzopyrene, which can be found in more than just grilled meat. It's also labelled as one of the prime carcinogens in cigarette smoke.

The presence of glycotoxins in burgers, according to researchers at Mount Sinai Medical, are chemicals associated with diabetes, heart disease, and inflammation in general. Heterocyclic amines only make an appearance when you're flipping burgers at temperatures over 300 degrees. Too bad that only happens every time you fire up the grill because a Carcinogenesis study showed that rodents ingesting these chemicals developed breast and colon tumors, as well as leukemia.

All that is before we get to what goes in the bun.
Good education about fast food burgers. Once I heard Burger King called "Murder King". I never have liked grilled food. I went to my (half) sister's obligatory cook outs a few times over the years (we met in 1998), other than that and only a couple of Burger King hamburgers over the decades, I don't eat grilled meat. Another thing people need to realize is that processed meats such as bacon, cold cuts and hot dogs are being linked to cancer. I don't eat those things either.

Best to eat at home. You wanta go out and have a great time, your gonna get "ripped off" and you gonna have to pay, pay, pay and then pay some more. Everyone wants your money.

Remember, you go and blow your money when you are working, then expect to eat a lot of toast and tea when you retire. Never mind travel. Expect to live in substandard housing and forget that cruise that you promised your spouse, when someday you retire.

You will become a senior living in poverty on a fixed income. Not a nice thing at all?

Best to eat at home. You wanta go out and have a great time, your gonna get "ripped off" and you gonna have to pay, pay, pay and then pay some more. Everyone wants your money.

Remember, you go and blow your money when you are working, then expect to eat a lot of toast and tea when you retire. Never mind travel. Expect to live in substandard housing and forget that cruise that you promised your spouse, when someday you retire.

You will become a senior living in poverty on a fixed income. Not a nice thing at all?
:) I don't know, Packerjohn, tea and toast are pretty expensive. Sourdough pancakes and Hudson Bay or Kinnickinnic tea good enough for me and the trash I go with.

Considering the minimum wage keeps going up ($16.75), heating, rent, basically everything involved in running a business, I can understand why the cost of a burger is so high.

The thing that drives me crazy is the 60 to 80 cents for adding a slice of cheese.

Yes, dining out is expensive. We live in a HCOL area anyway, with high labor costs too. Even so, almost impossible for those with incomes under $100K to afford a nice rental, let alone buy a house. The topography of the San Francisco Bay Area restricts the ability to build SFHs, and density is a big issue with our area, with not only traffic but also quake/wildfire problems. Add in droughts and permits, and it's tough for people and businesses both.

Restaurant prices have gone up between 35-85%. We can afford it, but I know it's been hard times for many. We have a friend who had to retire early due to recurring cancer. We send her gift cards to the better specialty markets nearby her apartment. She tries to stick to organic foods so it helps when she can shop at one of those markets for better-quality produce and other items.

One of them is a local mini-chain co-op that is so good, we stop in every time we're in the area! Their stores are incredible, wish they had one by our house, LOL. Even their in-house deli food is excellent.

Back