Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born

Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born​

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521

I believe many of our problems come from over population, so it seems to me this is for the best. I know it will cause a significant shift in age structure, relatively more old people. And that will take some adaptation, but older people are getting healthier and can work longer. That seems a small problem compared to the problems of over crowding...

Man, I can not even answer that. I would have to know what is behind it. If it is people that choose not to have children, okay. We had trouble just having one, I would have loved to have two but it was not in the cards. So I would not wish that on anyone. Makes me think about China, don't they have a limit on how many children people can have. Aren't many baby girls not loved as they should because they were not a boy. ...

Man, I can not even answer that. I would have to know what is behind it. If it is people that choose not to have children, okay. We had trouble just having one, I would have loved to have two but it was not in the cards. So I would not wish that on anyone. Makes me think about China, don't they have a limit on how many children people can have. Aren't many baby girls not loved as they should because they were not a boy. ...
The Chinese one child policy is over now.
They want the birth rate to improve but the young are not co-operating.
The same is happening in Japan and it is the young women who are reluctant to marry.

The Chinese one child policy led to surplus numbers of boy babies which is having the inevitable downstream effect - militarisation.

Back