Finding Love in the Era of Covid

It’s insane but I recently discovered it can be done and in a lot of ways it’s actually better than it was in the pre-covid era.

I met Michelle at the mailboxes about a month ago. I was aware that she’d just moved into an apartment here 3 months before and so she was a relatively new resident but I’d not run into her yet, and we were both wearing masks which you don’t see everyone doing here, so when she walked up to the mailboxes that day I said hi, I’m Frank, and I asked if she liked it here okay and if she needed anything. She said she just needed one thing and then she sort of patted my bottom.

She explained (at some length, fortunately, bc I was struck dumb for a few minutes) that she was sitting at this table they have near the mailboxes where a lot of the ladies who live here sit to chat and she mentioned to them that I have a cute butt and the other ladies dared her to “go check it out” 😂 . So anyhow, she’s very cute and has a great smile, and she had the kahunas to touch my bottom, so my first impulse was to ask her out to dinner, right? Except I couldn’t bc it’s the Covid Era. So I thought of take-out and that we could eat at one of the picnic tables here so I asked her if she liked Chinese.

She likes Chinese, but to take a relationship beyond sitting outside 6 feet apart (bc you can’t eat through a mask) takes a lot of thought and planning and talking. We had to talk about the people we come into contact with. She lost her job due to covid, and I’m retired so neither of us have contact with fellow employees. She said she hasn’t dated since this thing started and you’re just stuck with believing that or not. We had to talk about the precautions we take, how we clean our apartments, where we do our laundry (the laundry rooms here get sanitized twice a day and I suppose that’s as good as it gets). And that was strange.

The next phase was to check out each other’s apartments via a brief tour; does it look and smell clean? We both got good marks there so we had a few more meals outside, appropriately distanced. So this went on for a while and during that phase there’s no kissing, no hugging or cuddling not even hand-holding, there’s just talking. Talking over meals, talking over the phone, talking on 6-ft apart lounge chairs out by my back door.

Three weeks later I felt like we’d known each other for years. I felt like I can trust her and I knew I liked her a lot and vice-versa. We’re pretty different but we have a lot of important things in common. Still, another week (so a whole month total) of “having to” get to know each other went by before we had actual physical contact and the waiting was actually very nice. Excellent, tbh. It felt kind of old-fashion but all this caution and waiting and creative effort was worth it, and it was kind of fun.

It’s insane but I recently discovered it can be done and in a lot of ways it’s actually better than it was in the pre-covid era.

I met Michelle at the mailboxes about a month ago. I was aware that she’d just moved into an apartment here 3 months before and so she was a relatively new resident but I’d not run into her yet, and we were both wearing masks which you don’t see everyone doing here, so when she walked up to the mailboxes that day I said hi, I’m Frank, and I asked if she liked it here okay and if she needed anything. She said she just needed one thing and then she sort of patted my bottom.

She explained (at some length, fortunately, bc I was struck dumb for a few minutes) that she was sitting at this table they have near the mailboxes where a lot of the ladies who live here sit to chat and she mentioned to them that I have a cute butt and the other ladies dared her to “go check it out” 😂 . So anyhow, she’s very cute and has a great smile, and she had the kahunas to touch my bottom, so my first impulse was to ask her out to dinner, right? Except I couldn’t bc it’s the Covid Era. So I thought of take-out and that we could eat at one of the picnic tables here so I asked her if she liked Chinese.

She likes Chinese, but to take a relationship beyond sitting outside 6 feet apart (bc you can’t eat through a mask) takes a lot of thought and planning and talking. We had to talk about the people we come into contact with. She lost her job due to covid, and I’m retired so neither of us have contact with fellow employees. She said she hasn’t dated since this thing started and you’re just stuck with believing that or not. We had to talk about the precautions we take, how we clean our apartments, where we do our laundry (the laundry rooms here get sanitized twice a day and I suppose that’s as good as it gets). And that was strange.

The next phase was to check out each other’s apartments via a brief tour; does it look and smell clean? We both got good marks there so we had a few more meals outside, appropriately distanced. So this went on for a while and during that phase there’s no kissing, no hugging or cuddling not even hand-holding, there’s just talking. Talking over meals, talking over the phone, talking on 6-ft apart lounge chairs out by my back door.

Three weeks later I felt like we’d known each other for years. I felt like I can trust her and I knew I liked her a lot and vice-versa. We’re pretty different but we have a lot of important things in common. Still, another week (so a whole month total) of “having to” get to know each other went by before we had actual physical contact and the waiting was actually very nice. Excellent, tbh. It felt kind of old-fashion but all this caution and waiting and creative effort was worth it, and it was kind of fun.
that's all it took was a fanny swat? lol!

Michelle is easy to get along with and she says I am too. I usually go to her place but she’s come to my place a few times too. We have dinner, chat and laugh, stay a night or two. She met Collin and they seem to really like each other, and she was totally cool with me not sleeping with her when he’s here. Everything’s been working out great. Until.

Last week she said we ought to move in together and I told her I don’t want to. She hasn’t text me since and hasn’t answered my texts. I went to her place today and she didn’t answer the door. Her car was in the lot.

This is a bummer. :(

Send flowers?

Michelle is easy to get along with and she says I am too. I usually go to her place but she’s come to my place a few times too. We have dinner, chat and laugh, stay a night or two. She met Collin and they seem to really like each other, and she was totally cool with me not sleeping with her when he’s here. Everything’s been working out great. Until.

Last week she said we ought to move in together and I told her I don’t want to. She hasn’t text me since and hasn’t answered my texts. I went to her place today and she didn’t answer the door. Her car was in the lot.

This is a bummer. :(

Send flowers?
You're screwed.

You can try but if she's cut off contact that means you either hurt her feelings or ticked her off. She may have cut you off completely without even telling you. Give her a couple days to cool off. If she still doesn't answer the phone you are definitely in the dog house and possibly over.
Well, I'm sure I didn't hurt her feelings. I explained why I don't want to share an apartment. I was nice about it. So, I guess she's ticked off. I'll give it a couple more days.

Sorry, it’s not the advice you‘d like. Walk away. After one month and you won’t let her move in and she has a tantrum, that’s not a good basis for a relationship.
Yeah, we really haven't known each other for very long so I was surprised she even brought it up. But in any case, I like living alone. Seems unreasonable for her to be angry at me for that.
Actually, the more I think about it the more I figure it worked out the way it was supposed to. Sure a bummer, tho.

Yeah, we really haven't known each other for very long so I was surprised she even brought it up. But in any case, I like living alone. Seems unreasonable for her to be angry at me for that.
Actually, the more I think about it the more I figure it worked out the way it was supposed to. Sure a bummer, tho.
She can't pay the tent so needs to fine someone else to share...is my take, it all moved a bit fast. Good luck

She can't pay the rent so needs to fine someone else to share...is my take, it all moved a bit fast. Good luck
Actually, her income is quite a bit better than mine. I can see it would be pretty convenient for her if I moved in her place or her in mine, but honestly, I like my place, like my space and my alone time, plus my former foster son sometimes spends weekends with me and my 2 youngest grandkids stay up to a week a couple times a month and there's certain things we like to do; watch off the wall movies and stuff. So, nah. And yes, it moved too fast.

I like Michelle really a LOT, I just don't want to live with her.

It's the holiday season and emotions run higher than usual. Some people simply do not enjoy the Christmas season and take it out on others.

If you got to the point that you were doing the wild monkey dance and discussing your salary and introducing her to Colin then she likely felt it was time to kick it up a notch.

maybe call her to ask if the flowers were to her liking, but if it goes to voice mail then you have choices to make.

I'll put my money on the flowers not mattering at all to her. She doesn't sound like the type. She's got more depth to her than to be okay with just sex. She's more the making love type. I relate to her.

Putting your children/grandchildren ahead of her is also not her type. I also think you might be underestimating your children. I assume they've been taught to share and they probably intuitively understand that when they become adults, they too will cling to their wife and put her first.

Blended families work this out all the time if they love each other. Your female friend is looking for a lover, deeper than companionship and I'm guessing she would be willing to compromise with you by working out a schedule for you to have quality time with your children without placing her in a pecking order....with her at the bottom.

You and she have a different definition of love. You're no longer her type. I'm sorry to be so blunt but that's how I see it and you did ask.

Last edited:

Back