Fired or Retire a year early

I certainly appreciate each and every one of you and your input into this situation. I am formulating a plan and will search for all documentation, emails, Teams chats, old thumb drives (I save stuff), etc. and put it all in one place. I'll consult with my doctor and cardiologist. I just sent off an email to a friend who is an attorney for guidance. I'll keep this forum posted. I'm a Christian and to me it is comforting to know He is in control and it's about the only way I can truly relax in this situation, to include the advice and input from you all. I'm just beat. I've been dealing with this on and off for over 15 years. Thank you all again so very much. *Yes, I'm a guy, name is David. lol

I certainly appreciate each and every one of you and your input into this situation. I am formulating a plan and will search for all documentation, emails, Teams chats, old thumb drives (I save stuff), etc. and put it all in one place. I'll consult with my doctor and cardiologist. I just sent off an email to a friend who is an attorney for guidance. I'll keep this forum posted. I'm a Christian and to me it is comforting to know He is in control and it's about the only way I can truly relax in this situation, to include the advice and input from you all. I'm just beat. I've been dealing with this on and off for over 15 years. Thank you all again so very much. *Yes, I'm a guy, name is David. lol
Lots of support behind you here, David, and I for one hope you can hand the company's (you know what) back to them on a silver platter when you're done!

Have you documented any of what looks to be an effort to force you out? Have you been prescribed medication for stress/anxiety? Any chance you could retire on medical disability with the help of your doctor? Explore all avenues! For instance, age discrimination.

One more thing...you've already mentioned no 401k, but is there any kind of company pension?

ETA: After 26 years, now you've got a PIP and two months? Do you have copies of performance reviews from years past, especially recent years, showing that your work met or exceeded expectations?
GeorgiaXplant, I have plenty of documentation going back many years. I used to take anti anxiety meds but short term as they are addicting. I have a doc appt on the 22nd to discuss about that and my situation. There is a retirement plan for a state government worker, it has been laid out to me back in December. I have not had a decent performance review since the new regime came on board about 15 years ago. Before that, raises and praise, but then the managers were men and military veterans like me. Respect and rapport, communications, are totally different than the general population in MOST situations, just saying.

My cousin was fired after she had surgery. She was not quite retirement age. She came back to the job to discover she no longer had it. I told her it was probably age discrimination and told her to contact the ACLU. She didn't. As soon as she was old enough she applied for social security and didn't make enough to live on.

:)
I do hope you find a positive solution.

Welcome to the site. There are all kinds of us here. We are different in many ways. So you're sure to like some of us.

Thanks to everyone here who responded. I weighed it all out and decided to retire October 2. I got real tired of the harassment and stress they caused me. If I had had the money for an attorney then I might have done something about it. I'm now searching for jobs inside and outside of telecom. I will take my time, sleep in some, take care of myself, I think this will all work itself out. Looking back on this, what they did to me personally and to my career was an evil and nasty thing. Thank you all again for your support!

Thanks to everyone here who responded. I weighed it all out and decided to retire October 2. I got real tired of the harassment and stress they caused me. If I had had the money for an attorney then I might have done something about it. I'm now searching for jobs inside and outside of telecom. I will take my time, sleep in some, take care of myself, I think this will all work itself out. Looking back on this, what they did to me personally and to my career was an evil and nasty thing. Thank you all again for your support!
Wishing you nothing but the best, David!

Forget about the past when all is said and done, and look at embarking upon a new journey, one that satisfies your needs and desires.

Just think, you still have your health, so being able to free yourself from today's self-serving, dictatorship style workforce is a win for you!

Congrats to you!

You have to do what is right for you. Sounds like you've thought it over carefully. You know your energy level. You know what you do and do not want to put up with. Being in a place that is embedded in evil is so draining. You can retire and still have a job, as long as you make sure you don't earn money over a certain amount. You can find out what that is. :love:

Wishing you nothing but the best, David!

Forget about the past when all is said and done, and look at embarking upon a new journey, one that satisfies your needs and desires.

Just think, you still have your health, so being able to free yourself from today's self-serving, dictatorship style workforce is a win for you!

Congrats to you!
It's great to know that there are wonderful folks out there who are supportive. Thank you!

I know of other companies doing the same thing to long term employees...firing someone who's been there a long time and hiring someone new is a cost saving strategy for the company, as they'd pay a brand new employee considerably less than they're paying you. My own father was the victim of a similar move by the company he'd worked at for 23 years and ended up losing a significant chunk of his pension.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with the people telling you to document everything and fight the company, but I'm looking at your situation. 2 heart attacks, exacerbated by extreme job stress...and you sound exhausted and overwhelmed. Is this job worth risking your physical and mental health?

Only you can decide.

I know of other companies doing the same thing to long term employees...firing someone who's been there a long time and hiring someone new is a cost saving strategy for the company, as they'd pay a brand new employee considerably less than they're paying you. My own father was the victim of a similar move by the company he'd worked at for 23 years and ended up losing a significant chunk of his pension.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with the people telling you to document everything and fight the company, but I'm looking at your situation. 2 heart attacks, exacerbated by extreme job stress...and you sound exhausted and overwhelmed. Is this job worth risking your physical and mental health?

Only you can decide.
Retired October 2. Starting a seasonal position at FedEx. Yep, I lost a good bit of my pension but I'm stress free, can breathe, and no more hateful talk for no reason. Karma will take care of those three bosses.

Retired October 2. Starting a seasonal position at FedEx. Yep, I lost a good bit of my pension but I'm stress free, can breathe, and no more hateful talk for no reason. Karma will take care of those three bosses.
Sorry, I didn't notice the date so didn't realize this was an older post...but I'm so happy to hear that you're in a better place! I think you made a very wise decision. Sometimes we have to look past the money, the anger at being mistreated, the unfairness of it all...and just step away. You sound so different from that other post, and that's great. And I absolutely agree with you about Karma...what goes around comes around...

Back