Flooding, flooding Everywhere. In Nebraska.

Ugh, I tried to insert a link into my post, and messed it all up.

We are having massive flooding in NE. I work for an electric utility and we have been scrambling to protect the plant at our generating stations since Thursday. It has been a daunting task and I've been working 12 hour shifts along with many others. So I'm pretty immersed in the flooding.

We have people that have been displaced from their homes, roads and towns flooded. It is as bad as 2011 all over again. What bugs me is we hardy get any media attention since we are just "fly over country". Our lives and homes are just as important as anywhere else in the country.

What made this such a bad flood is that we have had over 23 inches of snow dumped on us in February. February and the beginning of March were extremely frigid, making the frost line run pretty deep. Finally, we get some decent weather days, and melts all the snow. Because the ground is frozen, the water can't soak into the ground and runs into the rivers and tributaries. Then, the Corp of Engineers started releasing massive amounts of water out of the Gavin's Point and other dams on the MIssouri.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this right, but this link was taken by our governor flying over just a portion of the flooding.

https://www.facebook.com/GovernorPeteRicketts/videos/259196538363174/

There's one picture floating around of a helicopter making a rescue. Also I noticed in some pictures the water is pretty clear an indication of the frozen ground because frozen soot/mud doesn't travel. Lousy time of year for a flood and utility loss. Thoughts are with them.

RIP victims, speed recovery to survivors!

OMG!!! That's horrific, I'm so sorry this is happening to you all, it must be like living your worst nightmare.. You're right tho' it should be getting much more Media coverage than it is, because you folks need some serious help!!

try emailing all the International media newspapers and spread the word on twitter and FB as much as you possibly can..

I hope you and your family are not displaced, and still have your home...

Thank you both. Then this is getting a little national coverage. I don't know why, but that makes me feel a little better. :) Yes, I took today off and am planning to get some sleep tonight!

Yes, this mornings news was full of reports about how Nebraska is getting hit by these floods...homes flooded, roads destroyed, etc....It looks like a real mess. Now, all that water is moving down the Missouri River, and there are flood watches and warnings from St. Joseph all the way to St. Louis in coming days. The local news is warning about all sorts of potential problems anywhere near the river.

And then, the Spring rains should start pretty soon, and make much of the Midwest a real mud puddle for weeks...it seems like we always have either too little, or too much.

It's being reported in the British papers....as headlines!!..so rest assured you're all being taken notice of..let's hope the rest of your country comes to your aid...

Two people have been killed in Nebraska as the submerged state grapples with the worst flooding its seen in 50 years.
Rainfall and swollen rivers, left in the wake of the 'bomb cyclone' winter storm swirling through the US, has left Nebraska inundated with water, neighborhoods completely submerged, and bridges ripped apart.
Governor Pete Ricketts declared a state of emergency in 53 counties, saying that one-third of the state has been affected in the devastating floods and 2,600 locals living near rivers were urged to evacuate on Friday.
'This is the largest widespread amount of flooding we've had in the last half century,' Ricketts said on the deluge.
Nebraska saw its various rivers break through their banks, cresting at up to 25 feet and rushing into neighborhoods, forcing locals to climb on their roofs and cry for help.
11103322-6819153-image-a-29_1552828407283.jpg

11103336-6819153-image-a-36_1552828497525.jpg

See the rest of the story, and lots more pictures on this link....
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6819153/Two-killed-record-levels-floods-Nebraska.html

How devastating, I haven't been watching much news in the last few days, but that flooding is very intense, sympathy to all who were affected. Bonnie, thanks for posting that video, awful for people and animals. :(

I saw a picture on facebook of a poor old guy with such a stark expression on his face. He was sitting in a boat, had just been rescued from his flooded house and all he had with him was his dog. His expression said everything. I can't find the picture now, but maybe it's better not to plaster his face all over everywhere. I'm sure this happens whenever there is flooding, but that picture just made me want to cry.

And then there was the farmer from Columbus, NE that was called by the emergency responders. They asked him to use his tractor to help a person stranded in the flood. He hopped in his tractor and they led him across a bridge. The bridge gave way with the weight of the tractor and he fell into the river. His body washed up right next to his home. What a hero!!

And then there was the farmer from Columbus, NE that was called by the emergency responders. They asked him to use his tractor to help a person stranded in the flood. He hopped in his tractor and they led him across a bridge. The bridge gave way with the weight of the tractor and he fell into the river. His body washed up right next to his home. What a hero!!

OMG!!!:(

Stunning and horrific pictures from the affect areas. No matter what time of year mother nature will do what ever she wants.

Again speedy recovery to those affected and RIP victims.

One year after Harvey flooded Houston there were still scrap trucks parked out in front to houses. Many are still homeless a year and a half later. Property values tumble and never return and some homes never sell. The hardships people suffer long after losing everything fade off the news. Think of it this way you lose all of your possessions in one day. All your files, records of your possessions, your phones, your computers, your photos wiped off the face of the Earth. No vehicles, no job, no place to buy anything if you are fortunate enough to have cash. How do you start over? Sometimes you just don't.

Iowa and Missouri too. Crops, cattle as well as homes and human life; destroyed.

We were in Boonville, MO. yesterday, and the river is within just a couple feet of flooding that area. Amtrak service between KC and St. Louis has been stopped, because the freight trains are all having to be rerouted onto tracks usually used by Amtrak. Farms all along the Missouri flooded, and huge supplies of stored grain have been destroyed. Large areas of farmland will be untillable for weeks. I fully expect these floods to have an impact on food prices in coming months. The normal rainy season in the Midwest is just getting started, so there may well be even more flooding in coming weeks.

I saw this on the news ..My heart goes out to all those involved.

My mother used to live on a river that flooded...She lost everything.

I hate to see it happen to anyone.

Back