Flooding, flooding Everywhere. In Nebraska.

We were in Boonville, MO. yesterday, and the river is within just a couple feet of flooding that area. Amtrak service between KC and St. Louis has been stopped, because the freight trains are all having to be rerouted onto tracks usually used by Amtrak. Farms all along the Missouri flooded, and huge supplies of stored grain have been destroyed. Large areas of farmland will be untillable for weeks. I fully expect these floods to have an impact on food prices in coming months. The normal rainy season in the Midwest is just getting started, so there may well be even more flooding in coming weeks.

I also wondered what the impact will be on our food supplies and prices. I'm hoping this is early enough in the season, that at least some of the lost ground can be made up. (no pun intended) The flood waters are finally receding here in Nebraska. That doesn't mean, though that the danger of flooding is over. We will have to see what will happen when the mountain snow and ice pack starts to melt . . .

This is so awful Uptosnuff!! This kind of thing always gets national and apparently international news coverage too. I feel for you and all affected by this terrible disaster. It must be daunting to try to do your job under the circumstances, especially with such long hours and not enough sleep. I'm sure many prayers are going out to the residents affected by this. I know I always pray for disaster victims. We've experienced severe flooding here in Jersey and of course other parts of the world really suffer with these catastrophes. I sincerely hope Nebraskans get all the help you need there in an expedient manner. Stay safe!

I also wondered what the impact will be on our food supplies and prices. I'm hoping this is early enough in the season, that at least some of the lost ground can be made up. (no pun intended) The flood waters are finally receding here in Nebraska. That doesn't mean, though that the danger of flooding is over. We will have to see what will happen when the mountain snow and ice pack starts to melt . . .

This is so sad and terrible. Has a flood like this ever happened before in Nebraska? This may be a really dumb question, but where will all that water go -- sink into the ground, drain off into rivers? How long will it take to reclaim the land for farming?

I just can't imagine . . . .

Butterfly, the last time NE flooded was in 2011. And that time we were flooded for MONTHS not just a couple of weeks like this time. I don't think a lot of people heard or knew about that because the "media" picks and chooses what stories they air. In 2011 the only reason we were flooded for so long was because the Corps of Engineers let loose massive amounts of water from the dams upriver in South Dakota. I'm talking about 160,000 cubic feet per second for a sustained period of time. I don't think that was widely reported in the news, so most people are unaware of it. And now, again, they let loose all this water when states downriver have problems with frozen ground and snow melt.

I think the Corps of Engineers needs to sit down and deep dive into their water and dam policies. (pun intended :) )

Back