Flooding in the UK.

I know you are on higher ground, but the high winds can do damage too. I hope your property is safe.
thanks Pinky...the storm is whipping the trees around in my garden, but they're strong mature trees with a long 6 feet fencing behind them too, so hopefully they'll not cause any damage, but I have to say , the winds are reaaaally strong today a stronger than I've known for a long time even after last weeks' storm Ciara , nd now it's dark, I can't see what's going on out there . My concern is more for damage that might be caused by flying debris from my neighbours house they leave things badly maintained in the garden , so easily broken up with bad weather

thanks Pinky...the storm is whipping the trees around in my garden, but they're strong mature trees with a long 6 feet fencing behind them too, so hopefully they'll not cause any damage, but I have to say , the winds are reaaaally strong today a stronger than I've known for a long time even after last weeks' storm Ciara , nd now it's dark, I can't see what's going on out there . My concern is more for damage that might be caused by flying debris from my neighbours house they leave things badly maintained in the garden , so easily broken up with bad weather
Bad enough as it is, without having to worry about the neighbours debris. That happened to someone I know .. neighbour's overgrown tree fell on her roof, and she wasn't insured for it. He refused to pay for half. Hopefully, there will not be any damage to your property. Keep safe!

Britain had a hurricane, at 90 mph winds!

A hurricane is s tropical storm.

Britain ain't in the tropics and can't have a hurricane any more than it can have a typhoon or a cyclone, no matter how hard the wind blows!

We do (rarely) get small tornados in the UK, but I've never seen one. By the time I grabbed my camera, the (whatever it was) had subsided quite a bit. A minute or so earlier it was much blacker and more defined.
I had a tornado at my house in Spain , it took the roof off and ripped up most of the palm trees outside my terrace..... I've never been so scared in my life, I was at home alone.... :eek:

Sorry to hear about your house Hollydolly, but glad that you weren't hurt. The worst I experienced was the "great storm" of 1987. Houses like ours that were orientated N-S
escaped without damage, but those sitting E-W, suffered a lot. The worst that happened us was one broken fence post.

One of my earliest memories was the sinking of the Princess Victoria in a gale in 1953 on its passage from Stranraer in Scotland to Larne in N.Ireland. I used to love watching rough seas and my father took me to watch them on that day (31st Jan - by coincidence, mother's birthday)

Sorry to hear about your house Hollydolly, but glad that you weren't hurt. The worst I experienced was the "great storm" of 1987. Houses like ours that were orientated N-S
escaped without damage, but those sitting E-W, suffered a lot. The worst that happened us was one broken fence post.

One of my earliest memories was the sinking of the Princess Victoria in a gale in 1953 on its passage from Stranraer in Scotland to Larne in N.Ireland. I used to love watching rough seas and my father took me to watch them on that day (31st Jan - by coincidence, mother's birthday)
amazingly in the storm of '87 this house S-SW only suffered one slate off the roof , no damge to the fences or trees in the garden , outbuidlings or the house itself... but the road outside was strewn with fallen trees ( we live next to woodland)

I just caught this on BBC news:

".....The Army has been deployed to help with flood relief as the UK faces a second weekend of weather disruption.
Severe weather warnings are in place for much of the country and forecasters say a month's worth of rain could fall in some places.
The MoD said 75 soldiers from 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland, have been sent to Ilkley and Calderdale in West Yorkshire.
They are helping build flood barriers and repair defences.
A further 70 Reservists from 4th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment, will also be providing support where required....".

I just caught this on BBC news:

".....The Army has been deployed to help with flood relief as the UK faces a second weekend of weather disruption.
Severe weather warnings are in place for much of the country and forecasters say a month's worth of rain could fall in some places.
The MoD said 75 soldiers from 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland, have been sent to Ilkley and Calderdale in West Yorkshire.
They are helping build flood barriers and repair defences.
A further 70 Reservists from 4th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment, will also be providing support where required....".
yes that's the north of England, it always seems to get the most flooding there, and the army were sent in yesterday to help shore up the dams with sandbags, because those very yorkshire towns were flooded just last week when the rivers burst their banks

This is the first I've read about this round of flooding. Hadn't seen it on the news nor read any reports about it. I feel so bad for the residents. Some people are not taking climate change (global warming) seriously or don't believe in it at all. But it will eventually have catastrophic results all over our planet. Here's one of the articles reporting on cities that are expected to be underwater by the end of the century. Several are in N.J. (my state), S.C. and Florida. Since reading the article, I've read that the timeline for massive coastal flooding may be accelerated.
https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/10/30/american-cities-that-will-soon-be-under-water-3/2/

Back