Florida 5th grader asked to remove Hooters-themed mask

It's a long time since I was teaching, but in Australia the students all wear school uniforms. An edict would be delivered that a) facemasks must be worn in the school buildings and on public transport and b) only plain masks are allowed at school.

However, I realise that this wouldn't work in US and in reality the priority should be to get every child in a mask ASAP. The school could have masks available to provide students wearing poor quality or objectionably decorated masks with a safe and acceptable alternative. I wouldn't be giving free publicity to Hooters by falling into the obvious trap

I agree. This is not the usual school uniform issue. This a life altering pandemic which if it continues unchecked just may become an extinction level event then all bets are off. Any government agency including school boards should provide the necessary tools and supplies along with their set policies like disaster aid groups supply needed supplies to disaster victims until conditions are restored to their natural state.

I don't think that it's news when a fifth-grader tries to be a little bit edgy with an adult theme or get a rise out of an authority figure.

IMO this says more about the teacher's lack of control/rapport with her students than it does about the kid and it should have never gotten as far as the principal's office.

I'm sure that now the school board will spend countless hours and taxpayers dollars to come up with a policy detailing appropriate clothing that will result in prohibiting logos for sports teams, rock stars, and all other innocent forms of expression.

Who bought the mask? I would not buy it for my 5th grader. There are thousands to chose from. Why the name Hooters for their restaurants? What came to mind the first time you heard that name? Why not masks with "Boobies" or "Booty" or "Knockers"? How about "Nips"? Why be an asshole about this? The old man is a jerk. Beg for trouble and you will find it.

Many school districts have already faced this issue with regards to what constitutes appropriate T-shirt design for school wear, and in the pandemic mask design is simply an extension. If a student is found by school standards to be wearing a shirt with an image or wording regarded as defamatory, inappropriate, or provocative, they are made to wear the shirt inside out for the remainder of the day if another shirt is not immediately available. Plain masks should always be available for student wear within schools.

“Hooters” is indeed a restaurant, but the title of the same generally refers not to owls but rather to a snide reference in popular culture for a portion of the female anatomy. While some may come to the restaurant for the food, others are there to ogle the waitresses in their trademark skin-tight tops. Wearing a “Hooters” mask may be acceptable within the culture of that particular family, but it represents a violation of the larger community standard...

I read the same article in yesterday's paper and my first thought was about the parent. With all the other problems teachers and administrators are having now trying to do their job as well as keeping the children safe, why are you so intent on causing them more problems?

Teach your son the 'ain't nobody telling ME what I can't do' lesson if you must but don't involve the school.

Many school districts have already faced this issue with regards to what constitutes appropriate T-shirt design for school wear, and in the pandemic mask design is simply an extension. If a student is found by school standards to be wearing a shirt with an image or wording regarded as defamatory, inappropriate, or provocative, they are made to wear the shirt inside out for the remainder of the day if another shirt is not immediately available. Plain masks should always be available for student wear within schools.

“Hooters” is indeed a restaurant, but the title of the same generally refers not to owls but rather to a snide reference in popular culture for a portion of the female anatomy. While some may come to the restaurant for the food, others are there to ogle the waitresses in their trademark skin-tight tops. Wearing a “Hooters” mask may be acceptable within the culture of that particular family, but it represents a violation of the larger community standard...

I could never understand why a family would eat at a niche place like Hooters after attending Church. Guys are supposed to go their with their buddies to eat those rank wings and down a couple two three brews. I mean seriously. Just a thought.

Dad should have known that a "Hooters" mask was something you didn't wear to church, or to school. Granted it's much ado about nothing, why put others into unnecessary turmoil. Don't wear a suggestive mask.

I would not want to be a teacher. You just don't have to teach kids, you have to deal with their parents. The stories I've heard from some of my teacher friends are unreal. I firmly believe if we didn't have parents we wouldn't need psychiatrists.

Well have you been to a Hooters? Breast are everywhere and I'm not talking chicken. Plus the breasty girls visit the patrons at table just to talk. Why is that necessary if not to enjoy the scenery?

Why a father would put his child in the media over a petty item is unfathomable to me.

Back