Fly the Friendly Skies?

Rules For Air Travel Are Put to Test
By Michael Laris and Lori Aratani

After consuming several beers and a couple of shots before takeoff, a miner started urinating near his seat on an Alaska Airlines flight, an FBI special agent recounted. Instructed to cover himself, he responded: “I have to pee.”

Two weeks later, a shirtless musician with a history of mental illness tried to fling open an exit door during a flight to Los Angeles as five people fought to stop him. “He advised that he wanted to kill everyone, including himself, on the aircraft,” another agent wrote.
Both men were arrested earlier this year in Denver, charged with the same broad federal crime: interference with flight crew members and attendants.
They were, in many ways, the exceptions.

The system for keeping the peace in America’s skies is creaking under the pressure of what airlines and regulators say is an unprecedented proliferation of misbehavior.

The Federal Aviation Administration has received more than 3,400 reports of “unruly” passengers this year. But despite launching a “zero-tolerance” enforcement policy in January — amid a rise in conflicts often tied to mask requirements in the air — the agency said that as of mid-July it had “completely closed” just seven cases.
The sprawling, multitiered system for enforcing regulations and federal laws covering passengers can take years to play out. As travel rebounds, that structure is being strained by confrontations fueled by alcohol, hostility to mask mandates and small conflicts that careen out of control. One passenger hit a woman holding an infant amid an apparent dispute over a window shade. Another ran through business class and stomped on a flight attendant’s foot after the power outlet at her seat wouldn’t charge her phone, according to court records.

The system involves airline employees, FAA inspectors and lawyers, Transportation Department judges, local authorities, state and federal courts, FBI agents and U.S. attorneys, who all have roles in a sometimes messy and protracted process.

An escalation in ‘air rage’​

The incidents that take place miles high in pressurized cabins are filled with many of the same pathologies and clashes that occur on the ground.
Sneezed on, cussed at, ignored: Airline workers battle mask resistance with scant government backup
A review of federal cases by The Washington Post points to alcohol, drug use and mental illness as key factors in outbursts that have terrified passengers and crew members, sometimes leaving them hospitalized. The tools for dealing with those problems in the air are more limited than on land.

Court records describe ad hoc policing teams made up of passengers recruited by flight attendants to help subdue rampaging fellow fliers using plastic handcuffs and seat belt straps. The records detail several instances of passengers trying to pry open doors on planes, leading to scenes of panic and violence.
“I am waiting for a signal,” a distressed passenger declared on a Hawaiian Airlines flight from Los Angeles in October before lunging for the emergency door and smashing a flight attendant’s head against it, causing a “ping pong ball sized hematoma” on her temple, federal prosecutors said.

A traveler enters a terminal at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. (Nam Y. Huh/AP)
After the third lunge, passengers and crew members zip-tied the man’s ankles to a seat. His lawyer said he “was in an altered state of mind when he tried to exit a commercial aircraft mid-flight. … This activity was not violent and was not driven by anger towards any other person.”

The flight attendant’s injuries, after she “properly blocked him,” were minor, the lawyer added. Authorities said that after the man’s arrest, he choked a nurse at a Hawaii hospital until he lost consciousness. The passenger, in his early 30s, was detained for eight months and released to his parents with an order that he take medication pending a March trial.
Earlier this month, a woman tried to open an airplane door on a flight from Dallas, then bit a flight attendant, according to American Airlines. She was duct-taped to her seat. In May, a Southwest Airlines flight attendant had two teeth knocked out, allegedly by a passenger who refused to remain seated.
Video shows a woman punching a Southwest flight attendant in the face, knocking out teeth: ‘It was all bad’
Aviation experts say cases of “air rage” are nothing new, but verbal attacks are turning physical more quickly.

“What we’re really seeing is an increased level of hostility on the aircraft, which is something I don’t think we’ve ever seen before in this industry,” said Paul Hartshorn, spokesman for the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents American Airlines employees. “It’s just incredibly dangerous.”

‘My life is changed forever’​

Federal prosecutions in cases where “interference with flight crew members and attendants” is the lead charge were down sharply in the past decade following a rise after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to a Post examination of federal prosecution data housed at Syracuse University, raising questions about resources and priorities.

For most of the 2000s, there were more than 50 such prosecutions annually, with case counts sometimes topping 70, according to data compiled by the university’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse. Over the past decade, that number has been in the teens and 20s each year, according to the research center, which built a vast database through decades of public records requests.
The Justice Department said prosecutions under the “interference” statute — by its count there were 20 in fiscal year 2019, 16 in 2020 and 14 through this month in 2021 — do not reflect the scope of its efforts because other charges are also used. At a Senate hearing in June, Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department takes the recent onboard assaults “extremely seriously.”
“Even if not intended to bring the plane down, you can imagine the kind of pandemonium on planes that we’ve seen in some of these videos that people have taken that can cause an incredibly dangerous accident,” Garland said

In a June letter to Garland, a consortium of airline industry and labor groups called on the Justice Department to “direct federal prosecutors to dedicate resources for egregious cases.” It noted inconsistencies in which cases are prosecuted in different jurisdictions, and said more criminal prosecutions are needed. The department is reviewing the letter, an agency spokesman said.
In selecting which airborne cases to pursue, federal prosecutors said they weigh damage to victims, airlines and threats to public safety. Considerations include whether flights were diverted, lives were endangered, the quality of the evidence and a suspect’s mental health status, federal prosecutors said.
In Congress, some lawmakers want the Justice Department to create a new “no-fly list” for passengers convicted of assault or who have paid civil penalties in such cases. Airlines, which have banned more than 2,700 customers for refusing to wear masks, don’t share information about customers who cause problems. Someone barred by one carrier can simply book a flight on another airline.
FAA to extend ‘zero-tolerance’ policy for bad behavior while federal mask mandate is in place
The incidents can leave a lasting mark.

Delta Air Lines flight attendant Eunice DePinto was shoved after trying to pull a first-class passenger off the airplane door he was fighting to open on a 2017 flight from Seattle. A second flight attendant was punched in the face, prosecutors said. The raging passenger — and another customer who aided flight attendants — were smashed in the head with bottles of red wine during the struggle, according to court records. Airline employees said the pressure at high altitude would have kept the door from opening, but it could have opened as the plane descended.
“In the galley there were flying objects, toppled galley equipment, yelling, physical blows and blood,” DePinto told a federal court in Washington state.

(That's the first half or so of the article. It was too long to get it all in one note.)

It's asking me to register but I don't need to read the article. I saw a couple of news reports about these crazy passengers. I wasn't intending to fly anywhere anytime soon anyway. I've staged a personal boycott against the airlines for more than 15 years. Solidifying my resolve to never fly again were the reports about how the TSA treated passengers during and in addition to the body scanning process. Two I can't forget was a senior in a diaper, the other was a small child. They were treated in a disgusting manner. But the one that upset me the most was personal. My husband who always wore his scarf (the one that screams "I'm Muslim") was detained when he was flying to Chicago for a conference. They did not give a reasonable explanation. But my husband looked like he could be Arab (or Hispanic or a tanned White man, etc.) but they probably assumed he was a foreign Muslim. I told him I'm so glad I wasn't with him because I may have wound up in jail. :mad:

Anyhooo....After all of this mess started with people fighting due to the increasingly cramped conditions, then anti-maskers acting crazy and stories about so many flight cancelations and masses of people having to sleep at airports made me even more sure that I never want to fly again, unless it's on a private plane.

Last edited:
Furthermore, a few months ago, I read a very interesting 2 page article by the world famous author and traveler, Paul Theroux. He has written many, many books based on his life of travel. Some examples are: The Mosquito Coast, Dark Star Safari, Riding The Iron Rooster, The Old Patagonian Express, etc. In one of the books, he goes on to say how he truly hates airports and flying. He says that airports are run by a system of dictatorship where your freedoms and your dignity are lost.

"I would rather do anything than fly. There's nothing to recommend flying except that it's quick. You see nothing, you're hassled, you wait … Your travel only begins when you get out of the plane. Until then, you're just in a rocket ship."

You know when I 1st flew Ward Air from Canada to London, UK in 1970, flying was fun. People were friendly and you spent the whole flight talking with someone and learned about their lives, you got real food, you got alcohol and you could have a 2nd drink if you wanted it. Now, no one talks to you, they all stare at their phones or laugh like they were retarded watching some totally stupid Hollywood movie and you go hungry. The last time I flew to Europe, it was Westjet (2019) from Canada to London. We got coffee (from Mcdonald) and a tiny bag of peanuts. No food at all on an overnight flight. I still can't believe it. "Friendly Skies" they were but very unfriendly today! Sorry, but I just have to add this little bit. Every time, I am lining up to go into an airplane, I can't help myself from not going "MOO" just like a cow. You see, the loading and unloading of airplanes is very much like the loading and unloading a bunch of cows or perhaps sheep. In that case I might say, "Baaaaaa!!

Last edited:
Furthermore, a few months ago, I read a very interesting 2 page article by the world famous author and traveler, Paul Theroux. He has written many, many books based on his life of travel. Some examples are: The Mosquito Coast, Dark Star Safari, Riding The Iron Rooster, The Old Patagonian Express, etc. In one of the books, he goes on to say how he truly hates airports and flying. He says that airports are run by a system of dictatorship where your freedoms and your dignity are lost.

"I would rather do anything than fly. There's nothing to recommend flying except that it's quick. You see nothing, you're hassled, you wait … Your travel only begins when you get out of the plane. Until then, you're just in a rocket ship."
Having had some national and international responsibilities in the past, I was sick and tired of commercial flying well before 9/11 and only got on a plane once or twice after that to get to funerals. Since then, you can't get me on a commercial flight. Some will say, "never say never" but if I can't walk, ride or drive, I am not going.

#1 Why in the hell are they serving alcohol on a plane?
#2. Flying has become such a hassle that it's no wonder people are ready for a fight.
# 3 Airlines have taken the fun out of flying by cramming people in tight seats, with no leg room, and herded like animals into long waiting lines.
#4. Are you just learning that there are jackasses in this world?

I still don't mind flying...albeit cattle class even tho' it's absolutely packed with little leg room.. but it's ok for a couple or 3 hours....

It's the Airport experience that's horrible now.. it used to an actual enjoyable part of your holiday getting to the airport, enjoying the duty free stores.... but now it's more like a penance that has to be paid for the ability to get to somewhere else .. ... :(

..and the pity is , that pre covid.. we were flying at least twice a year ..I can't even imagine what the protocol and shambles will be like once flying is again normal for everyone

Flying used to be quite the pleasant adventure. It certainly isn't that way anymore. I can't really think of anything that would make me want to get on an airplane again.
Yes. Flying was great in the era of the Lockheed Constellation and early Boeing 707/Douglas DC8 years. (i.e., 1950 - 1970) and went slowly downhill after that,

I really don't think flying is so bad, the incidents described in the article are real and unfortunate, but much more the exception than the rule.

I have flown over 6 million miles on Delta alone, another few million on other airlines. I have seen a few weird things, but not many. You have to remember that many millions of people fly, a few crazies are to be expected. When you do get one of those the close quarters of an airplane can make it worse. The airlines do a better job of managing such things than most businesses, take a look at some of the "people of Walmart" things online to see what happens elsewhere.

Service, on US airlines anyway, has deteriorated over the years, no doubt. The reason for that is deregulation of the airlines and lower fares. The airlines have to sell more tickets, cram planes fuller, and provide less service to compete and survive. The good thing for us is that results in lower fares, but there is a trade off. If we were all willing to pay first class fares things would be more comfortable, but that ain't going to happen.

I do not and never have worked for an airline, and going into retirement I am flying less. Mostly trying to work down all my accumulated frequent flyer miles on free flights these days. So I have no dog in this fight, just an experienced observer.

We hear about crazy and abusive Airline passengers here too,
though not so many since the lock-downs, but enough that
cause alarm to and frighten many people.

As for opening the door, that I believe is impossible, though
we all have doubts about that statement when somebody
tries to do so.

The door is wedge shaped, the narrow end being on the outer
side and the pressure inside the aircraft keeps it pushed against
the tapered frame.

Mike.

As for opening the door, that I believe is impossible
While in flight I think you are right, but on the ground it is possible.

I once saw a passenger (a very drunk one) open the exit door next to him and climb out on the wing, after the plane had pulled into the terminal, but before the other passengers deplaned. Airport security was quickly all over him, no harm done to the rest of us.

And I once had the emergency door next to me fall open, into my lap. It was after landing but while still moving pretty fast, lots of wind came into the plane. That was on a small commuter airplane, maybe just a 12 passenger or so. No one was hurt, but we were all shaken up a bit. The flight attendant just pushed the door back in and told us it was "not unusual, nothing to worry about". I kind of doubt that, but am sure it is what she is trained to do and say when something like that happens.

Both of these incidents were in the US on major airlines.

Given the airport bottlenecks, the frequent cancelations, the number of people causing troubles on the flights, we're not planning Any trips in the foreseeable future. We usually go to Las Vegas for a few days, every Fall, but we shelved those plans last year, and we have no plans to go this year. Sitting in a cramped airplane for 2 or 3 hours, with a good chance that someone nearby is infected, just isn't worth the risk...even though we've had our shots.

I had posted another story about unruly passengers some months back. Flight Attendants (F/A) deal with passengers unruliness and other problems almost on a daily basis. You wouldn't believe some of the incidents that I have seen and heard about passengers being ornery, reckless or causing disorderly conduct. They take a chance when acting out. The FAA has a zero tolerance on unruliness while in the sky. Interfering with any member of the flight crew is a serious charge and can be expensive both with fines and imprisonment.

BTW, good luck to anyone trying to open the main door in the cabin during flight.

Back