Food item you ate as a child.

I used to play w/the hispanic girl next door. All our parents worked, but after school we'd have mayo sandwiches.
And, her mom made homemade tortillas, so we'd put mayo and salt in them, roll em up and eat them.

Haven't eaten them since.

My mom would try and pass off Ovaltine as a substitute for Hersey's syrup. She thought it was healthier than the syrup. It had a terrible taste.
Summertime my mom would grow green beans. I think it was the variety she planted but they were sort of fuzzy on the outside. Almost like a peach. To make matters worse my dad loved them in hot milk and melted butter.
A bowl of those beans floating in the milk with that wet greasy fuzz really made me ill.
It took me a long time to grow green beans in my own garden until I found out the varieties have changed, no more fuzz!

The other kids would buy candy after school, to eat on the way home, but I used my allowance to buy green olives. I would eat all the olives and drink the liquid!
My staples were tuna fish sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, chocolate cake batter, and cantalope.
I had cocao and toast every morning for breakfast.

The family "extravagance"was Viking Cannonballs. ( big round baseball size dumplings stuffed with savory meats). They were best sliced andfried in butter forbreakfast.

Trying to think of something I had as a child that I won’t have now. Honestly, nothing came to mind…my mother didn’t force me to eat anything I didn’t like. I grew up loving food and only developed likes and dislikes as an adult. I love food glorious food !!

If our next hurricane knocks out our power, I'll be sure and have plenty of canned vegetables rather than Spam!!!
Maybe baked beans but canned corn or green beans without heat? You are a tougher Texan than me. I have to be honest here when the last storm hit I was surprised that spam was not a grotesque as it was. Maybe they changed the formula.

Once in a while I still buy fruit loops. LOL! We had two cereals at our house. Cheerios and fruit loops. The folks ate raisin bran and shredded wheat. I like raisin bran with extra raisins in it.
LOL - Fruit Loops.
I read about an interesting experiment in a nutrition book. Scientists dropped an unopened box of Fruit Loops in a cage with hungry rats.
The rats ate the box & didn't touch the fruit Loops.

Back