Food item you ate as a child.

What is Marmite?​

Marmite is a savoury spread, which was originally invented by German scientist Justus von Liebig in 1902. The scientist invented it in the UK when he discovered that brewers’ leftover yeast could be concentrated, bottled and eaten. So that’s beer and Marmite for everyone! Bass Brewery was the original providers of the yeast for Marmite.

In 1912, it was discovered that Marmite was a great source of vitamin B, so the British troops fighting in World War I were issued jars of the stuff as part of their rations. And during the 1930s, English scientist, Lucy Willssuccessfully used Marmite to treat anaemia in mill workers in Bombay, India, thanks to the folic acid in it.

Marmite was used to treat malnutrition by Suriya-Mal workers during the 1934–5 malaria epidemic in Sri Lanka.

So basically, Marmite has super powers!

That’s taken from the internet. We had it at our home as a child and it’s a horrible, bitter, paste that people used to spread on bread or toast.
To each their own but it wouldn’t be something you’d see in my own house.View attachment 162412

Then again, it might be used for cooking some fabulous recipes but I think I’d literally gag every time I saw it. I hated the stuff as a kid. Lol
Down under where I come from ... the Aussie version of Marmite is Vegemite, which has become somewhat of an Australian icon over time. Must admit I still love it.

mC6CdvD.jpg

Vegemite is similar to British Marmite. It's a thick, dark brown Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. It was developed by Cyril Callister in Melbourne, Victoria in 1922.

"Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich"

A fascinating thread, Pam! Thanks for posting it. :)

I have eaten most of the foods mentioned and those few that are healthful I still do (or would). My "Yuck, never again list" includes creamed corn, rice pudding, and yes ... Vegemite. We tried it in the '90s while in Australia and I think my youngest son described it pretty well. He said it tasted like jellied car exhaust.

A fascinating thread, Pam! Thanks for posting it. :)

I have eaten most of the foods mentioned and those few that are healthful I still do (or would). My "Yuck, never again list" includes creamed corn, rice pudding, and yes ... Vegemite. We tried it in the '90s while in Australia and I think my youngest son described it pretty well. He said it tasted like jellied car exhaust.
Not that I've ever tasted jellied car exhaust...but yep Vegemite and Marmite is pretty disgusting.. and super salty on top of that

Last edited:
I hope that I never have to eat the meat of a cooked cow's head. I saw this movie where they smoke the cow's head overnight in a hole dug in the ground. It was super gross. I'd close my eyes whilst they showed people eat out of it. Why did I start this thread? I am only grossing myself out.:LOL::sick::sneaky::unsure::whistle::giggle:53e1249a0e4c221f047664520671032b[1].jpg

Last edited:
I have always claimed avocado's taste like the bottom of a closet that was never cleaned, but I must confess I have never tasted the bottom of an uncleaned closet.
OMG, that is sooooooo funny!!! I tend to go thru phases with avocados; some days I like them and other days I just can't eat them.

I hope that I never have to eat the meat of a cooked cow's head. I saw this movie where they smoke the cow's head overnight in a hole dug in the ground. It was super gross. I'd close my eyes whilst they showed people eat out of it. Why did I start this thread? I am only grossing myself out.:LOL::sick::sneaky::unsure::whistle::giggle:View attachment 162627
Yum, absolutely mouth watering..... :ROFLMAO: I'm tempted to post some slaughterhouse video, but I won't.

View attachment 162384
My brother and I had these for lunch. My mother would never have served this to my father.
Sometimes I get in the mood for the ravioli. In fact, just bought 8 cans because they were on sale. I can't eat the spaghetti because it has pork in it.
As for the OP: Definitely wouldn't eat Spam now. Also we used to grab mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread and run outside and play. I no longer eat white bread.

Sardines don’t get the limelight they deserve. Is it because they come in a can? Do they remind people of their less refined college days of scarfing down tinned sardines over their kitchen sink? Or perhaps it’s due to their reputation of tasting so darn “fishy”?

Personally, I don't care for sardines. And I know I’m not alone – but, they’re a popular on-the-go snack/meal replacement for the paleo crowd. They’re fatty, flavorful, and chock-full of healthy Omega-3’s. Plus, they’re widely available and pack well.

So, as an ode to the underappreciated sardine, I decided to gussy them up to hors d’oeuvre dinner party status. Not that there’s anything overly exotic about these two recipes – it’s just that pâtés and such are quite de rigueur of late.

Which one should you make? If you consider yourself a purist and want the sardine to shine in all of its fishy glory, you’ll love the pâté. It’s an intensely flavoured, ballsy alternative to the classic chicken liver pâté. If, on the other hand, you prefer the lighter texture of spreads, and are looking for something a little milder, with a slightly less pronounced sardine taste, then the sardine spread is for you.

Sardine-Spread_thumb[1].jpg

Sardine Pâté​

Ingredients:​

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened and cut into large cubes
  • 2 (3 ¾ ounce) cans sardines packed in olive oil, drained
  • 1 large shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons) (can substitute onion)
  • 1 green onion, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed, from about 1/2 small lemon)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • optional garnish: 1 teaspoon parsley, minced

Preparation:​

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and uniform in texture. Alternatively, you could use a hand mixer.

2. Transfer pâté to serving dish and refrigerate for about 2 hours.

3. Garnish with parsley (optional) and serve.

When I was a kid I'd eat sardines and kipper-snacks right out of the tin. I think I'd be grossed out now.

I once thought those dry marshmallow orange circus peanuts candies were too gross to eat after I was grown up, then there was a time I was on a diet and bought some thinking they would discourage me from eating sweets, but turns out if the only sweet you have is a bag of circus peanuts, they are not that bad after all.

Back