Football Season

The post regarding name changes makes you realize how unimportant your opinion is...

I do know Cleveland Browns are named after coach Paul Brown, so Kaila how about
the New England Patriots being named The Belichicks?

Bonnies list of potential names for Cleveland Baseball, like some, didn't like others. so,

Lake Erie was almost declared a fire hazard in the 60' so potential names for the
Indians are the: Blazers, Hellfire Boys,...

The Patriots aren't going to have to worry about changing their name, are they ⁉

The Patriots aren't going to have to worry about changing their name, are they ⁉

Nope, Pats are safe, just an example.
Paul Brown and the New owner of the team were trying to think of a name, Paul Brown said, 'Well how about the Cleveland Browns.' Why the owner agreed-only he knows.
My information came off of NFL today: maybe not true, maybe true.
Goggle says it did not happen that way, but their explanation is not gospel.
Paul Brown's was probably the greatest coach football has produced.

I'm not against the name changes (though not to Belichecks, haha)

I spent a chunk of my life near Cleveland too.... Rockers is fun, Bonnie. :)
How about Cleveland Courage ?

Really...Wow!!!! My Dad was a Veteran, he would never disrespect the USA Flag.... (But you can have your say) It's supposed to be a free country...
I’m the same as your dad. I wish these teams would have a moment of silence prior to the playing of the National Anthem. Then, anyone that wishes could stand on their head as far as I am concerned. I can just see me at Parris Island taking a knee. Yeah, that would be OK. I would be assigned to permanent latrine orderly.

Ever since I can remember, I was to stand for the playing of the National Anthem. Ever since the Supreme Court allowed the flag to be burned and cited that action to be the 1st Amendment or Free Speech, lack of respect went out the window.

I don’t know if anyone else watched the Reelz Channel last night (7/5), but they had a special on about Aaron Hernandez and it was pretty much centered on his jail time with his lover, Kyle Kennedy. Kennedy revealed a lot of accusations that I had never heard before. Aaron was serving a life sentence w/o parole for the murder of Odin Lloyd, his girlfriend’s brother. The police believe that the reason he killed Lloyd was because Lloyd knew about his homosexual tendencies and didn’t trust him to keep his mouth shut.

According to Kennedy, Hernandez did kill the two people that he was tried for, but was found not guilty. Kennedy also revealed that he was Hernandez’s in prison lover. I won’t print the details of what Kennedy confessed to that Aaron did because it may violate the forum’s rules, but the accusations, if true, would really surprise me.

As I watched the 2-hour show, it brought back a lot of memories of when I would have to go into prisons to interview suspects. I think the worse part of being in prison is not for the prisoner, but his/her family. The prisoner doesn’t see how the family reacts after the visit. I have seen several family members cry their eyes out after a visit. I often had wished that prisoners would see what grief they cause their family members. Maybe they would think twice before repeating their mistakes.

Good post 911.
Hernandea's actions were shocking. A man, we thought, had it made.
The documentary I saw, many years ago only gave the motive as: Hernandea
was miffed over a very minor incident in a bar, he and his gang bangers killed
the other boys.
Your explanation makes a lot more sense.
Never understood gangbangers
Never understood girly boys

I do understand the pain criminals bring to their families.
I've been in a lot of jails and prisons (work related) the slamming of those steel doors by mechanical thrust had the sound of finality.

Good post 911.
Hernandea's actions were shocking. A man, we thought, had it made.
The documentary I saw, many years ago only gave the motive as: Hernandea
was miffed over a very minor incident in a bar, he and his gang bangers killed
the other boys.
Your explanation makes a lot more sense.
Never understood gangbangers
Never understood girly boys

I do understand the pain criminals bring to their families.
I've been in a lot of jails and prisons (work related) the slamming of those steel doors by mechanical thrust had the sound of finality.
The bar incident that you are referring to was in a favorite bar of Hernandez. The one fellow bumped into him and caused him to spill his drink. He told Kennedy that he felt disrespected. Him and another friend waited in the parking garage for a few hours until the two men exited the bar, got in their car in the parking garage and they followed them. When they stopped at a light, Hernandez reached across his driver and unloaded his pistol into the car with the 2 men, killing them both.

There playing baseball in Taiwan.
The clip only showed pitcher and batter, the seats behind home plate are full of
stuffed animals... no fans were viewed?
The stuffed animal 'are for atmosphere.'

Goggle: less than 500 cases in Taiwan, they jumped on preventing spread of virus immediately, following guidelines of S. Korea. Business and schools are functioning as normal.
Yes, fans can attend, but must practice social distancing...clips show sparse, very sparse
attendance.
The games are broadcast: fulfill contracts-don't know.

Last edited:
Local news: sportscaster said KC qb Mahomes signed contract for half-a-billion dollars, he repeated it, least we doubt the figure.

Tx Rangers will open season July 24, whether fans will be allowed in is still not settled.
(-Clyde they done lost their minds again.
-Reckon so.)

I think Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes extended new contract for $ 503 million over the next 10yrs is DISGUSTING! Nobody is worth that amount of $
As the saying goes"Greed is Good"

I think Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes extended new contract for $ 503 million over the next 10yrs is DISGUSTING! Nobody is worth that amount of $
As the saying goes"Greed is Good"

Who's at fault here?
Who made it possible for a man to earn this ridiculous amount
of money for throwing a piece of a dead pig?

Not me, surly. Oh, I may watch a bit of football on Sundays, but rarely over three hours.

I enjoy watching Premier League games. A Watford fan, myself, my wife's favorites are the hapless Hammers from West Ham.

On the home front, I've been a Patriots fan since they were formed in the old AFL back in the early 60's. I don't attend games as often as I used to but they're located in Foxboro, Mass., only about 35-40 miles from my home
Oh boy , my o/h is a West Ham fan ,you mean there's more than one of them. :eek:

Did I hear right that baseball may play two (2) National Anthems prior to the start of each game?

1. "The Star Spangled Banner"
2. "Lift Every Voice and Sing"

Several threads on SF regarding social chaos
Do you care one hoot in hell about any political affiliation your favorite ball players.

Why did these sweaty men's political and other opinions become important?

There being paid to:
throw the ball
hit the ball
catch the guy trying to throw the ball
bust the guy trying to catch the ball

Are they married, amoral, peculiar-why should I be concerned?
Their paid to whack, or throw a ball-That Is All.
A coach has made 'Do your job,' a byword for what he wants a ball player to do.

Why am I given information on the facets of their lives?
Why am dumb enough to read/listen?

If you want scores of spring training your going to have to make them up:
Cleveland 9-Rangers 8
Yanks 0-boston2
Redlegs 11-Pirates 1
White Sox1-Cubs 0
Dodgers-102-Giants 0 (that's right one hundred and two runs, go Dodgers)

Due to the length of this article, I'm breaking it into two posts. Interesting reading:

Top 9 Most Complete NFL Teams – Pt 1
NFL's most complete teams in '20? Ravens, 49ers, Chiefs top the list
NFL.com by Adam Schein 09July2020
(edited for length)
The dictionary definition for the word "complete": having all necessary parts, elements, or steps. This is NOT a Power Ranking; it's a rundown of the teams that have "all necessary parts," Schein Nine style:

1 – Baltimore Ravens
2019 record: 14-2
General manager Eric DeCosta has assembled the best roster in the NFL, bar none. Last season, the Ravens led the league in scoring and finished third in scoring defense. Both units are positioned to dominate once again in 2020.

Former Heisman Trophy winner and reigning NFL MVP Lamar Jackson took a massive leap forward in his second year, with a league-leading 36 TD passes and shattering Michael Vick's QB record with 1,206 rushing yds. Scary thought: He's only going to get better, with a talented, young supporting cast he can grow with. Second-round pick J.K. Dobbins was put on Earth to run the football. With Dobbins joining a backfield that already featured Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill, Baltimore has every possible skill set you could want from the RB position. Meanwhile, second-year wideout Hollywood Brown is a big-play threat on every snap. TE Mark Andrews is fresh off a breakout season that ended in the Pro Bowl, thanks to 852 yds and 10 TDs. Marshal Yanda's retirement is a hit to the OL, no doubt, but the Ravens boast one of the NFL's top tackle tandems in 26-year-old Ronnie Stanley and 24-year-old Orlando Brown Jr.

Defensively, Baltimore remains absolutely stacked in the back end, with first-team All-Pro CB Marlon Humphrey fronting one of the league's most talented secondaries. On the second level, the Ravens snagged first-round pick Patrick Queen, whose athletic game is perfect for the modern NFL. And up front, DeCosta traded for Calais Campbell and added Derek Wolfe in free agency, giving the D-line a pair of experienced, versatile veterans with great leadership skills. Did I mention that Campbell's been a Pro Bowler in five of the past six seasons?

No NFL team is perfect, but DeCosta's fine work -- in free agency and the draft -- has produced a roster with the fewest blemishes in the league today.

2 – SF 49ers
2019 record: 13-3
Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch, take a bow. SF traded DeForest Buckner and Matt Breida, let Emmanuel Sanders walk, watched Joe Staley retire and ... somehow got even better.

The Niners still boast the game's best DL. First-round pick Javon Kinlaw replaces Buckner. And I loved the decision to prioritize the resigning of Arik Armstead. The former first-rounder rarely receives the credit he deserves, but he really came into his own last season with 10 sacks. 2019 Defensive Rookie of the Year Nick Bosa is already a bona fide game wrecker. And what a luxury to have Dee Ford as a designated speed rusher. Elsewhere, Fred Warner is emerging as a prototype linebacker for the modern NFL, while Richard Sherman's an ageless wonder at CB.

On the other side of the football, the 49ers have the best TE in football. George Kittle is an absolute force as a receiver and blocker. Speaking of blockers, Trent Williams slides right into Staley's spot on the blind side -- and he's my pick for Comeback Player of the Year. First-round pick Brandon Aiyuk is a brilliant replacement for Emmanuel Sanders; he'll nicely complement playmaking stud Deebo Samuel, who should be able to come back from last month's broken foot pretty early in the season. Jimmy Garoppolo remains polarizing, but I don't know how you can view him as anything worse than solid after last season's performance. And he's obviously helped by SF's potent run game. Raheem Mostert's trade request is concerning, yes, but are you really going to bet against Shanahan forging a productive ground attack one way or another?

3 – KC Chiefs
2019 record: 12-4
Please don't misinterpret the Chiefs' No. 3 ranking on this particular list. I'm picking them to win the Super Bowl. Just like I did last year. With Mahomes now signed through the 2031 season, it's hard to imagine a time when I won't be picking KC to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. Mahomes is the best quarterback and the best player in the NFL, and the best show in sports today. Two teams sit above KC in this ranking because their rosters are more well-rounded. But with Mahomes' singular greatness, the Chiefs enter the 2020 season as the definite team to beat.

And it's not like the quarterback is surrounded by chopped liver. Home-run hitter Tyreek Hill headlines a receiver group that possesses incredible speed, talent and depth, while Travis Kelce's the best TE this side of George Kittle. In the draft, Brett Veach scooped up Clyde Edwards-Helaire, a dynamic all-purpose back whom Andy Reid described as being better than Brian Westbrook. The defense is highlighted by Pro Bowl DT Chris Jones. Look at how he wrecked the 49ers' Super Bowl hopes -- and KC needs to get him signed. Safety Tyrann Mathieu is a certified stud. So is edge menace Frank Clark.

Top 9 Most Complete NFL Teams – Pt 2 (by Adam Schein, NFL.com)

4 – New Orleans Saints
2019 record: 13-3
NO is locked and loaded once again. GM Mickey Loomis had a superb offseason in free agency and the draft. The Saints astutely added Emmanuel Sanders, the perfect complement to Michael Thomas, and re-acquired old friend Malcolm Jenkins, who brings valuable experience and leadership to the secondary. In the draft, NO made one of the game's best OLs even better with the addition of Cesar Ruiz, before grabbing a potential steal in third-round linebacker Zack Baun.

Drew Brees still has gas in the tank at age 41, especially when he's throwing to the best receiver in the game. And a return to health for Alvin Kamara cannot be understated; when he's right, the Saints back is an electric playmaker running and receiving. In a related vein, the defense should be healthier than it was down the stretch last season. Third-year DE Marcus Davenport could be poised for a breakout campaign.

5 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2019 record: 7-9
Much has been written about Tom Brady's relocation to Tampa. The GOAT is still great -- and now he has the league's premier 1-2 punch at receiver in Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. And Rob Gronkowski's reuniting with Brady, joining a TE group that already included OJ Howard and Cameron Brate for a wealth of receiving options! Not to mention, the Buccaneers' O-line got better with the addition of No. 13 overall pick Tristan Wirfs.

But the defense is what sells Tampa Bay as a total package. In the second half of last season, when the Bucs' young secondary started to come into its own, this D was top-tier. Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh form a brick wall against the run, Shaq Barrett and Jason Pierre-Paul hunt QBs off the edge, and Lavonte David and Devin White comprise the best linebacking duo in the game.

6 – Buffalo Bills
2019 record: 10-6
Trade acquisition Stefon Diggs gives Josh Allen the true No. 1 receiver he needed and gives Buffalo legit depth and talent at receiver, joining John Brown and Cole Beasley. Allen was clutch last year when it mattered during the regular season. I think he's primed for a monster 2020. Devin Singletary and Zack Moss are a solid 1-2 punch at RB.

Sean McDermott's defense, which, unbeknownst to many, finished last season at second in points allowed and third in total D. The front seven is very strong, with Tremaine Edmunds emerging as one of the game's most dynamic young linebackers. Tre'Davious White is a flat-out star at corner, earning first-team All-Pro honors last season. Buffalo isn't the flashiest team in the NFL, but it's definitely one of the league's best.

7 – Dallas Cowboys
2019 record: 8-8
Dallas oozes offensive talent. Ezekiel Elliott is still one of the NFL's top RBs. The Amari Cooper-Michael Gallup-CeeDee Lamb trio at receiver is dreamy. Yes, Lamb was highway robbery at the No. 17 pick; he's going to be a star. With Mike McCarthy coaching him up, Dak Prescott will dominate and put up gaudy numbers. (Note to Jerry and Stephen Jones: The longer everyone drags their feet on this extension, the more it's going to cost.) Don't be surprised when this offense carries Dallas to the No. 1 overall seed in the NFC playoffs.

While losing Byron Jones was a blow to the defense, Dallas still has horses on that side. I still strongly believe in Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. DeMarcus Lawrence and Gerald McCoy should present plenty of problems for opposing OLs.

8 – Cleveland Browns
2019 record: 6-10
They belong on this list because of the gobs of talent on this roster. Baker Mayfield enjoyed a splendid rookie campaign before regressing. A new coach will get him back on the right track. As will bookend additions Jack Conklin and Jedrick Wills Jr., who change the OL. Odell Beckham Jr. should bounce back in a major way with better health, while Jarvis Landry will be his typically reliable self. Austin Hooper is an upgrade as a pass-catching TE. Lastly, Nick Chubb is one of the best pure RBs in the business, while Kareem Hunt would be starting on a large number of teams.

The Browns' defense has dudes all over the place, beginning with Myles Garrett. He was well on his way to a second consecutive Pro Bowl before losing his mind and striking Mason Rudolph with the quarterback's own helmet. That ghastly incident rightly cost Garrett the rest of the season. Will he come back motivated -- with something to prove -- in 2020? When it comes to the former No. 1 overall pick's talent, the sky's the limit.

9 – Indianapolis Colts
2019 record: 7-9
Yes, over their AFC South foes in Tennessee. I love this team. Indy has the best OL man in Quenton Nelson. And there's a solid argument for the O-line as being the NFL's best. RB Jonathan Taylor and WR Michael Pittman Jr. were draft steals. Neither was selected in the first round, but both made Lance Zierlein's list of the top 10 Offensive Rookie of the Year candidates. Philip Rivers is coming off of a down year, but the future Hall of Famer is an upgrade for the Colts at quarterback.

The defense wasn't bad last season, but the unit should take a step forward after the trade for DeForest Buckner. He's a game-wrecking force up front, the kind of menacing defender who'll make life easier for Indy's supreme linebacking corps. Darius Leonard is one of the best defensive players in football, while Bobby Okereke showed plenty as a rookie and Anthony Walker was stout as always.

Should be the same teams in the finals, but we've been surprised before.
Saints and Bills may play havoc in playoffs.

Anticipate the Ravens and Steelers knocking heads

We all want to see what Brady does with Tampa Bay-same for Phillip Rivers, does he
have a good year left, he's been around a long time.

(Cleveland and Bengals have bad luck picking QB's maybe Mayfield and Burrows
may change that. They have a history of squandering their high draft picks,
perhaps Finally, they got it right. Their both look good on paper.)

So what happened to Rams, might they be resurrected this year?

My years of Cowboy watching has made me very, very doubtful of selecting them
to do anything except flop.

I think I heard ???? that the Pats had signed Cam Newton. When he first came into the league, he put a different light on how a QB played the game. He was fun to watch. Age and injuries have dimmed his light (IMHO) and it seems sad to see the Pats go from Brady to Newton (with the new kid -can't remember his name) alongside.

I'd guess, mid-pack for the Pats this year and although that wouldn't be too bad for most teams in the league, it's a tough pill to swallow after the last 10-15 years being a consistent winner.

I was happy to see this. I love Randall Cunningham and have always thought he was underrated as a player:

Report: Randall Cunningham is new Raiders’ chaplain
Former star QB has roots in Las Vegas
Raider Nation by Bill Williamson Jul 10, 2020
https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2020/7/10/21320516/report-randall-cunningham-new-raiders-pastor

(Excerpt) The Raiders are adding some local flavor and spiritually as they move to Las Vegas. ESPN reported that former NFL quarterback Randall Cunningham is the franchise’s new chaplain. Cunningham played at UNLV and became a pastor in the city after he retired from the NFL in 2001. Former Raiders running back Napoleon Kaufman was previously the team’s pastor.

For most NFL teams, the role of chaplain is a significant one. They are often around the team, offering weekly services and individual guidance. The addition of Cunningham, 57, will be positive for the Raiders. He is a good man and he was a great player. He will be a valuable resource for players, especially quarterback Derek Carr. He is highly spiritual and will be able to connect with Cunningham both on a religious level and as an NFL quarterbacks.

For those not old enough to remember Cunningham as a player, he was a bad man on the field (video link follows in article).

Good read: a look at KC's Mahomes' contract from the viewpoint of the Steelers. The consensus of most analysts is that it's a very "team-friendly" contract. The fact that the Chiefs can convert some of his salary into a signing bonus each year, gives them better cap flexibility than one would expect from a guaranteed contract.

Text bolding emphasis is mine:

Breakdown Of New Patrick Mahomes Contract
SteelersDepot by Dave Bryan July 7, 2020
(free article) https://steelersdepot.com/2020/07/breakdown-of-new-patrick-mahomes-contract/

There was big NFL news on Monday as Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed a ten-year contract extension with a base new money value of $450 million and a possible maximum new money value of $475 million. When the remaining two years of his old money his added, Mahomes now has an opportunity to earn $502,631,905 in the next 12 years. With Mahomes’ contract being such big news, it’s worth breaking it down in a post to see what exactly it is and isn’t.

For starters, Mahomes had two years left on his original deal and he was set to earn a total of $27,631,905 through 2021. That old money was rolled into his extension.

An interesting aspect of Mahomes’ new contract is its overall structure and cash flow schedule. Of the entire deal, Mahomes received just a $10 million signing bonus. That means he’s set to pocket just $10.825 million in 2020, an extremely low amount. It is worth pointing out, however, that upon signing, Mahomes is guaranteed to get $63,081,905, which is the first three years of the deal and his total base cash flow amount through the 2022 season.

Mahomes’ contract is structured with 11 consecutive years of huge roster bonuses, which you might as well call option bonuses. Once exercised every March, those trigger more future guaranteed money. For example, next March Mahomes is set to receive a roster bonus of $21,716,905 and unless cut before the third day of the new league year, his 2023 scheduled earnings of $40.45 million become fully guaranteed. Those rolling guarantees continue on throughout the contract. (See article for graphic: clickable Tweet)

Once again, I should note that Mahomes’ overall cash flow in his new deal isn’t great. Take note that Mahomes was originally scheduled to make $27,631,905 over the course of the next two years and he’ll now earn just $6 million more than that in his new deal over the same period. And while $63,081,905 is fully guaranteed at signing, he was guaranteed $27,631,905 before inking his new deal. In short, he only gained $35.45 million in fully guaranteed money by signing on for an additional 10 years.

On the surface, Mahomes’ yearly cap charges all seem very reasonable throughout the life of his deal. Even his 2022 cap charge of $31.45 million might not look too bad come that season, depending on the overall impact the coronavirus pandemic has league revenue, and ultimately the salary cap. If, however, the Chiefs need salary cap space, they can easily convert a yearly roster bonus into a signing bonus to free up significant chunks. The first conversion could take place as early as March 2021 if need be.

Because of the way the rolling guarantees are structured, Mahomes isn’t likely going anywhere for a long while and especially with him reportedly having a no trade clause in his new deal. In short, there’s a very good chance that Mahomes sees most of, if not all of, this huge contract. On the flip side, however, it doesn’t appear as though Mahomes will have much room to bargain for more money down the road. He basically traded that right away for those rolling guarantees that will make it extremely hard for the Chiefs to cut him and especially not until 2029. The trade off for having a contract that he should ultimately earn a huge chunk of also cost Mahomes some early-deal strong cash flow.

While not included in my table below, starting in 2022, and for 10 consecutive years, Mahomes has a $1.25 million incentive for winning AFC Championship game and a $1.25 million incentive for winning NFL MVP, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. That’s the $25 million of incentives over 10 years that takes the total possible value of his deal up to $502,631,905.

With Mahomes’ new deal essentially having a new money average of $45 million, he’s now easily the highest paid player in the NFL. His new money average is $10 million more than that of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson so expect him to remain on top for a few more years. The devil is in the details, however, as Mahomes’ new money average through the first five new years of his new deal (through 2026) is just $39.55 million. Within five years, Mahomes’ new fabricated money average of $45 million is likely to be surpassed by a few players and the Chiefs quarterback won’t actually be earning that average then, either.

I think I heard ???? that the Pats had signed Cam Newton. When he first came into the league, he put a different light on how a QB played the game. He was fun to watch. Age and injuries have dimmed his light (IMHO) and it seems sad to see the Pats go from Brady to Newton (with the new kid -can't remember his name) alongside.

I'd guess, mid-pack for the Pats this year and although that wouldn't be too bad for most teams in the league, it's a tough pill to swallow after the last 10-15 years being a consistent winner.

Cam was fun the first few years because he was physically amazing but he relied on that too much and became injury plagued. If Belichick can convince him to play smarter which Cam is certainly capable of, he'll be amazing again. But I wonder about those two egos...

Back