For fully vaccinated folks out there.

Had lunch with GFs who were also vaccinated.
Had my children and their spouses over now that we're all fully vaccinated.

In both cases we all said No to masks, No to distancing, Yes to physical contact!

Heaven!!!
Amen, StarSong...ditto for us, four of us went at the same times to get the shots and we all breathed a sigh of relief afterwards...son and wife have been down to stay for days and days and he's coming back again today (they live in Ohio) so its been fantastic.

Its like you got your normal groovy life back again. We go out to eat and take our masks to comply with restaurants or shops that may ask you to wear them, if dining or shopping indoors, other than that, its "normal city" baby! The pool is open and summer is here...hurrah!!!

My wife felt safe enough for us to go to the Mayo Clinic and start the process for her next operation. I have no interest in joining the contentious discussions between those vaccinated and those who have decided not to. I realize that is not the purpose of this thread, but since I stay out of those threads, I felt I could comment on my take here.

In my wife's case, if getting the vaccine is what it took for her to feel safe enough to take the next step in her medical care, then I am all for it for her. We both got vaccinated and we both wear masks in public. Neither of us comment or judge either way for what others do or don't do.

Since getting vaccinated, she also feels safe enough to go out to eat on occasion. We don't do that often, so when we do, it is a treat for both of us. We feel that such activity is getting too expensive to make a regular practice of doing (which is a part of the reason we can afford her medical expenses which include hotel and meals when we got to the Mayo Clinic) and we are fine with sharing the cooking duties at home. I do the grocery shopping and the after meal cleanup, and we do the cooking together.

Tony

Stopped ordering groceries online.

My life didn't change much during "lock-down" except that I kind of enjoyed the inherent laziness associated with it. I saw my kids and grandkids and my little foster son as much as usual, and I hung out with friends, but just here on the grounds of the complex. I haven't had close contact with my oldest son and his wife, though, because her immune system is compromised. That's the way she wanted it, and bless her heart, I've kept my distance. She's really excited that she and my son will get their second vaccine next week, and she promised me a great big hug afterward.

Went in several stores that I wouldn't have before (I would have done curbside or ordered on-line). Will go to a grocery store this week instead of ordering through Instacart. Visited with other vaccinated people without worrying.

My wife felt safe enough for us to go to the Mayo Clinic and start the process for her next operation. I have no interest in joining the contentious discussions between those vaccinated and those who have decided not to. I realize that is not the purpose of this thread, but since I stay out of those threads, I felt I could comment on my take here.

In my wife's case, if getting the vaccine is what it took for her to feel safe enough to take the next step in her medical care, then I am all for it for her. We both got vaccinated and we both wear masks in public. Neither of us comment or judge either way for what others do or don't do.

Since getting vaccinated, she also feels safe enough to go out to eat on occasion. We don't do that often, so when we do, it is a treat for both of us. We feel that such activity is getting too expensive to make a regular practice of doing (which is a part of the reason we can afford her medical expenses which include hotel and meals when we got to the Mayo Clinic) and we are fine with sharing the cooking duties at home. I do the grocery shopping and the after meal cleanup, and we do the cooking together.

Tony

Last edited:

Tony
Tony, You included hotel stay in your wife's medical expenses. How safe do you feel staying at a hotel?

You included hotel stay in your wife's medical expenses. How safe do you feel staying at a hotel?
Saltydog, thanks for your concern.

I don't see an alternative. I feel safe enough, but then I personally have not been overly worried. My wife seemed fine with it and that is my primary concern. My rule of thumb is to let her express her level of concern. I don't know why, however I just don't seem to have the fears that I see everywhere around me, but I do honor the various recommended means of preventing the spread of COVID without complaining. Two of my younger brothers did get hit full on with COVID. Both survived after a long stretch of serious illness and have ongoing issues even a year later, so I am not questioning the reality of this thing.

Tony

Saltydog, thanks for your concern.

I don't see an alternative. I feel safe enough, but then I personally have not been overly worried. My wife seemed fine with it and that is my primary concern. My rule of thumb is to let her express her level of concern. I don't know why, however I just don't seem to have the fears that I see everywhere around me, but I do honor the various recommended means of preventing the spread of COVID without complaining. Two of my younger brothers did get hit full on with COVID. Both survived after a long stretch of serious illness and have ongoing issues even a year later, so I am not questioning the reality of this thing.

Tony
My wife and I have hesitated on overnight lodging since covid-19. We thought we might feel different after fully vaccinated, but we haven’t.

The best to you and your wife.

My wife and I have hesitated on overnight lodging since covid-19. We thought we might feel different after fully vaccinated, but we haven’t.

The best to you and your wife.
Thanks Saltydog. Nothing wrong with being careful, especially with so much conflicting information about all things COVID.

I think that at least a part of the reason my wife seems comfortable with the hotel we stay at in Rochester is that it is right across the street from the Mayo Clinic and nearly all the patients who come to the clinic, stay at that hotel. So much so, that they offer a Mayo Clinic patient discount. The Mayo Clinic recommends that hotel and apparently they feel it is safe due to their cleaning regimen. I certainly can't say that for other hotels anywhere, but this one in particular has the Mayo Clinic's blessing. I know this because my wife checked with the Mayo Clinic before booking the room. We have been to that clinic many times so they have my wife's medical history in their records and know of all her health issues.

Tony

What have you done since fully vaccinated that you wouldn’t have done before being vaccinated?
Hubby and I just got back from a week in Puerto Vallarta. We would never have gone on a plane without being vaccinate. Funny we met another retired couple in PV that go back and forth between Washington State and Puerto Vallarta every two weeks. They have been flying through the entire pandemic.

About a month after getting our 2nd dose we flew down to FL for a 2 week stay in a condo on the beach. Actually went out to eat several times at outdoor restaurants. It felt so good to get back to almost normal. I still follow all the mask guidelines (for the protection of others) but I'm no longer concerned about contracting Covid myself. I'm so glad things are headed in a good direction.

At my bridge game today (in a friend's house, only fully vaccinated people are welcome, and it has to be at least 2 weeks after the second shot), we were all discussing what a pleasure it is to sit and talk to people, to play cards, or whatever, just the ordinary social interactions we took for granted before, but never will take for granted again.

We've all put the masks away, in our pocket or wherever. Some just keep them hanging beneath their chin when outside, and move them up when they think it's necessary. Most of us just don't wear them outside at all, but are required to wear them in the hallways of the buildings or any other public place. That may end soon. I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and had to wear a mask in there. But it's such a feeling of freedom to take it off, and know we are safe from the disease! The more I hear about that gruesome disease, the more blessed I feel that I was one of the first to get the vaccine. It's a privilege that people are fighting over in some parts of the world. And what a tragedy that millions had to die of it.

At my bridge game today (in a friend's house, only fully vaccinated people are welcome, and it has to be at least 2 weeks after the second shot), we were all discussing what a pleasure it is to sit and talk to people, to play cards, or whatever, just the ordinary social interactions we took for granted before, but never will take for granted again.

We've all put the masks away, in our pocket or wherever. Some just keep them hanging beneath their chin when outside, and move them up when they think it's necessary. Most of us just don't wear them outside at all, but are required to wear them in the hallways of the buildings or any other public place. That may end soon. I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and had to wear a mask in there. But it's such a feeling of freedom to take it off, and know we are safe from the disease! The more I hear about that gruesome disease, the more blessed I feel that I was one of the first to get the vaccine. It's a privilege that people are fighting over in some parts of the world. And what a tragedy that millions had to die of it.
Don't love that millions had to die......but.......love that you're able to experience a form of normal living.

Still on the fence of getting vaccinated. I go grocery shopping, have lunch with friends (vac and unvac), do not wear a mask when outside, hubby and I go out to eat once in a while. HEAVEN!!!! Nothing to fear but fear itself...this quote is for me and no one else. We all are doing what is best for us :love:

Back