For Those of You Who Wear Glasses With Your Mask

I have transition near, far and close. They have the lenses that get darker outside, too. Mine are plastic, too. I was concerned it might hurt them but it did not, worked very well. Really have to wipe that shaving cream off though! It's gooey.
Thanks! The shaving cream I use is a foam, but I do wipe it off completely with a Bounty paper towel. A few times when I stopped to talk to people, I'd just have to lift my sunglasses up with they started to fog and put them on my head.....not always keeping up with reapplying the cream.

Just a couple of days ago I spoke with a neighbor while walking my dog, his little Yorkie was killed by a coyote who jumped into his yard and attacked, put my glasses up because they were fogging. He said it seemed the coyote tried to carry the dog by the neck back over the chain link fence, but failed. The dog came back in through the doggy door, had a seizure shortly after the attack when the man and his wife were looking at the wounds the blood was coming from, the dog never made it to the emergency vet. The dog went out to potty after dark. :(

At least where I live you can't walk into your doc's office wearing an "outside mask". You're stopped at the entrance and someone extends a mask out to you with a pair of tongs.
Nice idea to donate your home-made masks.
I’m sure that go’s on in Australian Dr ‘s practices as well.

I keep well away from busy places / shops unless I have to go ,however I seen a couple in our local Aldi yesterday who looked like they had picked up their disposable masks 😷 in the street they were so filthy :unsure: :unsure: it made me feel sick Just looking at them .

I had one of my homemade masks on when I went for my annual blood work check up the lady who took my blood really liked mine said looked clean and fresh .

We are not required to wear a mask while out in public places however it’s recommended we do.

@Murrmurr

I bought some masks that made my face itch too. So I bought some other ones and they didn't make my face itch and those were the cloth ones and a different kind of paper ones but it's hard to know before you buy them so that can be a problem I agree. Maybe a face moisturizer could help that.

I usually just itcch my face right through the mask and pull it up or down and itch my face.
Wonder if it would help :unsure: the itch if you added a little fabric softener to the rinse water when you wash your fabric masks @Ruthanne

Ive been sewing since a was about 12 years old and let me tell you some fabrics now days are what I’d describe as cheap and nasty and full of chemicals .

I use a sanitiser in the rinse water when I wash our fabric masks .

I made about 20 masks when the pandemic first raised its ugly head in Australia but they were a firm fit and made me hot / hard the breathe ,

then I came across the pattern I use now that has pleats in the side ,however it was a YouTube instruction only no pattern ...then someone created a pattern from the instructions and with a little adjustment I made the latter pattern , I stick to now I think the pleats / as well as a little roomier over the nose allow you to breathe better.

My daughter wears 3 a day ( at work ) wears glasses most of the time and no fogging or feeling of suffocating ,she commented on how Hot / itchy the disposables are

I found my face itched when I had a disposable in for a just short while .

Last edited:
The mask design, myself and my family has found to be good for no fog / being able to breathe
I’ve finished the green / blue one ( number 90 in total ) the others will be finished latter todayA9363EA8-DFC4-4F2B-9C3D-B21B0DA8E147.jpeg

This is the original type I made we all found them a bit suffocating / stuffy as they were pretty fitted no room in mask to breathe ..I honestly think the pleats in The one I make now 100% better
3D0D6303-E9F1-4B04-A0CF-534DFE8E30B9.jpeg

M
Yours are similar to the one's my daughter makes, sells and donates.
I especially like the blue patterned one, @Kadee46
My daughter likes the little tulip pattern with the stripes ,I made her a few with the little bugs / pinkish colours... ..she laughed and said a bit to flowery for her ..but she will still use it.
I cut a heap out ready to sew and sew in batches or I get leg weary from getting up and down to iron / sew cut elastic
I’ve never sold any but maybe I should now my family have plenty
@Pinky

When my mask starts fogging I inhale through my nose and exhale downward through my mouth. It works for me. My mask does not itch. It has more than one layer and the inside layer is soft and comfortable and is some kind of synthetic fabric. The mask is washable. I only give it a good soaking and rinse without using soap and let drip dry. Any fabric smell is gone after a few washes.

Thanks! The shaving cream I use is a foam, but I do wipe it off completely with a Bounty paper towel. A few times when I stopped to talk to people, I'd just have to lift my sunglasses up with they started to fog and put them on my head.....not always keeping up with reapplying the cream.

Just a couple of days ago I spoke with a neighbor while walking my dog, his little Yorkie was killed by a coyote who jumped into his yard and attacked, put my glasses up because they were fogging. He said it seemed the coyote tried to carry the dog by the neck back over the chain link fence, but failed. The dog came back in through the doggy door, had a seizure shortly after the attack when the man and his wife were looking at the wounds the blood was coming from, the dog never made it to the emergency vet. The dog went out to potty after dark. :(
I never use paper towel on glasses--I did once and ruined a pair. Had to get new ones. I only use Kleenex.

That is so very sad about the doggie....it has happened in my city, too.:cry:

Wonder if it would help :unsure: the itch if you added a little fabric softener to the rinse water when you wash your fabric masks @Ruthanne

Ive been sewing since a was about 12 years old and let me tell you some fabrics now days are what I’d describe as cheap and nasty and full of chemicals .

I use a sanitiser in the rinse water when I wash our fabric masks .

I made about 20 masks when the pandemic first raised its ugly head in Australia but they were a firm fit and made me hot / hard the breathe ,

then I came across the pattern I use now that has pleats in the side ,however it was a YouTube instruction only no pattern ...then someone created a pattern from the instructions and with a little adjustment I made the latter pattern , I stick to now I think the pleats / as well as a little roomier over the nose allow you to breathe better.

My daughter wears 3 a day ( at work ) wears glasses most of the time and no fogging or feeling of suffocating ,she commented on how Hot / itchy the disposables are

I found my face itched when I had a disposable in for a just short while .
It was mostly a paper mask that itched my face. I don't get a whole lot of itching with my fabric one. Thanks for that suggestion.

@Ruthanne - Thank You! It works! I've nearly fallen on the stairs on several occasions because my glasses fogged up and I misjudged a step. I didn't have any shaving cream in the house, so went over to my neighbor's house and asked if I could have a little of his shaving cream to clean my glasses. He thought it was just me, being odd as usual, but now he's using it too. We appreciate the tip...

At least where I live you can't walk into your doc's office wearing an "outside mask". You're stopped at the entrance and someone extends a mask out to you with a pair of tongs.
Nice idea to donate your home-made masks.
well I'm glad that they give you a fresh mask when you get there. Where I go to they allow us to wear our own mask or they provide one.

@Ruthanne - Thank You! It works! I've nearly fallen on the stairs on several occasions because my glasses fogged up and I misjudged a step. I didn't have any shaving cream in the house, so went over to my neighbor's house and asked if I could have a little of his shaving cream to clean my glasses. He thought it was just me, being odd as usual, but now he's using it too. We appreciate the tip...
Sounds like a great neighbor. You're welcome😊

@SeaBreeze What I meant about me using paper towel on my glasses was that I had a very expensive pair with plastic lenses and used paper towel to clean them once and it put a huge, thick scratch on one of the lenses. I couldn't see properly of them after that. They were my most favorite pair ever and they were ruined that way. Had to get new ones.

@SeaBreeze What I meant about me using paper towel on my glasses was that I had a very expensive pair with plastic lenses and used paper towel to clean them once and it put a huge, thick scratch on one of the lenses. I couldn't see properly of them after that. They were my most favorite pair ever and they were ruined that way. Had to get new ones.
Thank you for the warning, the prescription glasses I have now, first pair I ever had are expensive and plastic. I don't know about this and I appreciate your advice. I haven't used paper towels or anything other than the cloth that came with those glasses, won't do anything to ruin them. Very sorry you ruined yours, I will heed your recommendation.

Thank you for the warning, the prescription glasses I have now, first pair I ever had are expensive and plastic. I don't know about this and I appreciate your advice. I haven't used paper towels or anything other than the cloth that came with those glasses, won't do anything to ruin them. Very sorry you ruined yours, I will heed your recommendation.
Thanks. I wouldn't want that to happen to yours and that's why I told you about it. Glasses can be so expensive!

Do your glasses fog up with your mask? Well so do mine and especially when it's humid like today. Someone on FB suggested I put shaving cream on them and I said "well how will I be able to see with shaving cream on my glasses? :LOL: That's besides the point though. I tried it today. I used some gel shaving cream and it worked. Just rubbed on a tiny bit and wiped them off then went outside and no fogging! So, try it if you wish, it worked for me.
Thank you Ruthanne. ❤️

Back