Fresh, frozen or canned veggies in soup?

Anything I cook I only use fresh, cut up by me, the only exception is chili, then it’s canned beans, kidney, black, garbanzo, etc. Oh, and peas, then it’s frozen.

Soup is the bottom of the chain of foods with me---where all the leftovers go to their final resting place, whether originally canned, frozen, or fresh. A few times I've made potato soup with a fresh potato and a fresh onion, when the last potato was starting to get old.

Nearly always fresh veggies. I will keep frozen peas and mixed veggies for emergencies.
I do use canned tomatoes, cream of corn, and mushroom soup.
I make most of my own soups, my favourite being potato and leek. When leeks are on
sale I will buy a bunch, use some and wash and cut the rest up and freeze.

Fresh ingredients preferably, but I use some frozen vegetables. I have an Instant Pot and cook beans and grains, always have several different kinds of beans in the freezer, both cooked and uncooked. The only exception to fresh or frozen is canned San Marzano tomatoes. We rarely have roma tomatoies in the stores here, so canned works too.

I bought some nice leeks and potatoes today so I'll be making leek soup tomorrow.

This is an old thread well worth revisiting, especially as the weather cools.

Since I have plenty of refrigerator & freezer space, I use fresh or frozen vegetables for everything - soup included. If I'm out of frozen tomatoes (from our garden), I used canned. Beans would be the only other canned ingredient.

As I said early on in this tread a few years ago, I'm not averse to using canned veggies in soup if I don't have any other.. but this week I'm going to make soup , and for the first time ever, instead of using dried lentils, I'm going to try Canned..
I'll be interested they work out. I use dried and (Trader Joe's) refrigerated lentils. Can't say I've ever tried canned lentils.

Back