From A Wide Spot In The Road

drifter

Let me say this. I thought I could/would slip out and no one would notice. When feeling out of sorts sometime it's best to step back and
take your leave at least for awhile. Got some things going on that are wearing me down a little and I need to handle them. Let's just say I'm not the hoss I used to be or thought I was. Just going to take a little break and see you all in the near future. Hold down the fort. Savve me a place at the table.

Last edited:

RadishRose

SF VIP
Let me say this. I thought I could/would slip out and no one would notice. When feeling out of sorts sometime it's best to step back and
take your leave at least for awhile. Got some things going on that are wearing me down a little and I need to handle them. Let's just say I'm not the hoss I used to be or thought I was. Just going to take a little break and see you all in the near future. Hold down the fort. Savve me a place at the table.
Understood. :)

drifter

The wayward soul is back from his roaming. Once upon a time we took a slow boat to China, but now once we make the decision, three or four coffees later we land in HongKong or some remote spot in Alaska on a small plane rigged to land on a small lake. Not like the days we
slowly rolled across a Kansas on a prairie schooner, heading west for a new start in life. We have done all that, if not literally then surely in our imaginations or dreams. What I’m finding is I am no
longer an adventurer, no longer young but rather more like the old house where I live, built long ago and sit down hard. not moving much unless blown away.

In spite of it all as I have moved around some and visited other sites giving a brief change of pace
so that my restlessness was brought under control. Anyone remember the movie, “One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest, ” with Jack Nickelson. (sp ?). I visited such a place. Not a movie but a community. My travels as a drifter has not found a more sane place than here with a group of seniors, similar but different. So once again, Greetings.

Last edited:

drifter

It looks like I had a double post here which I have eliminated with this explanation using of course the edit button since we don’t always have a convenient delete button. Cheers.

Last edited:

drifter

In my recent travels I did meet a couple of people whom I will greatly miss. Both were above
average communicators who engaged me in conversation on football, harmonica, and life in general including illness we have to learn to live with and fight, including how it is to live with
chemo and its devastating effects. Both challenged me to think and will long linger somewhere
in the recesses of my mind.

drifter

72 here, Ms Marci but humidity been high. Wind, calm. Spent an hour and a half with a pretty lady here to gauge my mental
and physical attributes. Since few visit, it was good to have whatever conversation I could with her.
She left saying she'd see me next year.

drifter

I've had a medical visitor today, an annual visit. My yard was mowed an hour and a half ago. The back yard almost too wet but he made it look good for another two weeks one hopes. I got my bird feeder hung the other day, so if i have no one to converse with I can talk to the birds.
I sit outside in a comfy chair with my harmonica. I turn it around, backward and whistle to the birds. A couple respond almost immediately.
We're not communicating you understand. I don't know what they say. I'm sure it's not a good morning to me cause it awful sharp, what comes back. They could be saying, "There's that idiot again." But after I've fed them for a while maybe they'll change their tune.

Last edited:

RadishRose

SF VIP
I've had a medical visitor today, an annual visit. My yard was mowed an hour and a half ago. The back yard almost too wet but he made it look good for another two weeks one hopes. I got my bird feeder hung the other day, so if i have no one to converse with I can talk to the birds.
I sit outside in a comfy chair with my harmonica. I turn it around, backward and whistle to the birds. A couple respond almost immediately.
We're not communicating you understand. I don't know what they say. I'm sure it's not a good morning to me cause it awful sharp, what comes back. They could be saying, "There's that idiot again." But after I've fed them for a while maybe they'll change their tune.
I love thinking about those birds and your harmonica!

Oh yes, once the food gets regular they will love you.

drifter

Strange things we do. I bought a knife sharpener the other day. I have two pocket knives and a couple of kitchen knives I like to sharpen and maybe keep sharp. I test the sharpness of my pocket knives by shaving off the hair on the back of my hand. Now I can spend twenty, thirty minutes doing one other thing.

Jules

Strange things we do. I bought a knife sharpener the other day. I have two pocket knives and a couple of kitchen knives I like to sharpen and maybe keep sharp. I test the sharpness of my pocket knives by shaving off the hair on the back of my hand. Now I can spend twenty, thirty minutes doing one other thing.
Everyone I know who sharpens knives does the same test. Wonder who started this technique.

drifter

@Jules, I don’t know who started such a method. Men were shaved by straight razor. A knife can’t shave like a razor but could it shave a hair. There’s a hair on your hand or arm. Cut it off.
Maybe it started maybe as simple as that. We may never know.

drifter

I don't usually complain when someone gives me a birthday present but someone did load me up. I got two pair of pants,
four tee shirts, three pair of undershorts, and a pair of pajamas. These were bought at Target. I unwrapped everything and
threw the wrapping away since they were a gift. Each pair of undershorts were individually wrapped and the brand name
was: A Pair of Robbers. The pants are some kind of new wranglers: They say, Wrangler All Terrain Wear. What they are are
rags with pockets. The pair of pajamas still have the tags attached but I couldn't get out and return them for correct size or
or something wearable. I kept the tee shirts and donated the rest to Special Olympics. I've never treated a gift this way before
but dang I am a little particular what I wear and I do like for them to fit.

Last edited: