From A Wide Spot In The Road

Nothing going on in my world. My wife’s brother drove up from Eastland to see us. Sister in law didn’t come. She stayed home with her arthritis which is acting up. It’s like a five hour drive.
He lives on a lake where his hobby, if you can call it that, is fishing. He has a nice, convenient pier behind hid house, a nice boat, a 50 hp motor and a very good trolling motor. He has always
brought us fish but he gave away half a freezer of croppie to local friends and traded the other of the freezer of fish for elk stakes? He said next time. We enjoyed catching up on news of our
shrinking family.

All year I have been donating some stuff we no longer use, stuff we have moved out of the house into the garage. a nice rocking chair to make room for my wheelchair, A very good and
comfortable office chair with arms and almost a half closet full of clothes to Special Olympics.

Almost every fall of the year I buy some new clothes. I used to shop used and-consignment
stores but age and covid put a stop to that. Now I shop online. I bought a new pair of jeans
last week. Now I need a couple of good looking button up shirts and a couple of light colored pull over shirts. I bought a fanny pack the other day for when I wear a shirt with no pockets.
Something to carry arount things I might need close at hand, like my albuterol puffer and a small
magnifying glass, maybe a pocket knife. Now, why don’t we hop in the car and take little road trip. But where would we go?

let's travel old Tennessee back roads...
stop by a clear running creek..
find small pretty rocks...
use that magnifying glass to see them closer..
as the cold watermelon we layed in the creek gets carved up with that pocket knife..
Well, now there's some ideas. I've been over some of those Tennessee back roads but its been a long, long time.
I lived across the border from Clarksville, in Kentucky one time. I believe the town was Hopkinsville.

Filled my bird feeder in the back yard but the squirrels are a problem. I tap on the window but he pays me no mind.
Going to have to get his attention so I can train him not to climb up the pole and eat the bird feed. Teach him eating bird feed is a no, no. I'm going to have my help put up a blind so I can
go out with full oxygen and pop that sucker in the rear end with a bb gun every time he hops
on the pole. It is a game I’ve played before.

Last edited:
Filled my bird feeder in the back yard but the squirrels are a problem. I tap on the window but he pays me no mind.
Going to have to get his attention so I can train hi clinbing up the pole and eating bird feed is a no, no. I'm going to
have my help put up a blind so I can go out with full oxygen and pop that sucker in the rear end with a bb gun.
check these out=
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=supersoaker
560e46dd-092c-4faa-a20c-c4d7465bdaee.b85014f10e74ab3e492f817eed163d0a.jpeg

This super soaker can shoot up to 36 feet.
I would use it on the squirrels raiding my bird feeder.
It's just water, so no harm is done.
There are cheaper, smaller ones too.
This one is $16.99.

Well, now there's some ideas. I've been over some of those Tennessee back roads but its been a long, long time.
I lived across the border from Clarksville, in Kentucky one time. I believe the town was Hopkinsville.
our son and his family...he's retired from Coast Guard...moving to Clarksville...from Washington state....that's a beautiful area....
my favorite part of Tennessee is in Appalachian country
im just an ole hillbilly..

Well, aren't we all old something or others. My folks moved from Kentucky to Texas in the 1860's.

Had a long time staph infection, MRSA, I think they're calling it. I'm undergoing a full fledged treatment
trying to cure up this mess in my nose, what ever it is. It is a lalbor intensive treatment. I don't know if
there is a cure or merely a means to try and control the infection. Wondering if anyone knows anything
about MRSA. I suppose there are a number of different staph infections.

I'm using Mupirocin, have used it before. On its own doesn't help. I'm taking it again along with Doxycycline, 100MG, and doing a sinus rinse, twice a day on all of it. Have had this staph since 2011, treating it, but casually. However this is the first time I have treated it this aggressively. Hope this cures it. Although I have about come to think there is no cure. only a remission. My immune system is shot due to COPD and now antibiotics only weaken it further. I need to avoid infections. But one has to keep going, one way or another.

Last edited:
I've decided not to shoot squirrels or people but let mother nature take it's course. I didn't do thid out of the goodness of my heart but because when I get up, grab the gun I am so short of breath I can not aim the gun and I find my ticker racing and not pumping enough blood and oxygen to sustain my needs, so I decided i should have enjoyed these pleasures twenty-five years ago.

I have also noticed my neighbors two cats are a little bit interested in taking on the squirrels and when they appeared in my yard, the squirrels need to get home. Bless their heart.

I shouldn't be worrying about about squirrels. I've got enough on my plate to worry about without them.

Last edited:
It rained yesterday afternoon and again last night. I thought it wwould be too wet to mow my yard today but
my guy showed up at ten this morning and mowed and edged with no trouble. My yard looks as good as a Texas banker's. It looks like a happy place.

Last edited:
glad you are choosing your battles...

the war with the squirrels was lost ...long ago

as I type this...I am sitting outside in a hut on the shady side of house...we put 2 up...beige tarped top...made it permanent...

there's another one on sunny side ..same top..with clear vinyl sides ..
it's for winter...
waiting for the resident owl to swoop in and retrieve a bird...
anyway..God bless you

glad you are choosing your battles...

the war with the squirrels was lost ...long ago

as I type this...I am sitting outside in a hut on the shady side of house...we put 2 up...beige tarped top...made it permanent...

there's another one on sunny side ..same top..with clear vinyl sides ..
it's for winter...
waiting for the resident owl to swoop in and retrieve a bird...
anyway..God bless you
@bingo, Thank you. I had one of those "huts" out front but the wind and hail tore it to pieces. All that is left is a steel frameand one side of that frame I had taken down so it wouldn't hurt nobody. I miss it because we liked to sit and sip our coffee or have an occasional sandwich and enjoy the breeze. Everyone needs a change of pace from the tele or what have you.

Last edited:

Back