From A Wide Spot In The Road

I looked back at an old blogspot journal I used to maintain. It was a blog I wrote over several years.
I looked to see if I had left anything important lying dormant. The only comment viewed this:

"No post found." The blog is empty. Over the years many hundreds of articles written and deleted.
Some of those I wish I had kept because they inspired me. During this time I wrote this blog, I met seven or eight other bloggers who had interests in common and we became a group who worked together exploring current events. One in Florida, known as the old man, another in Cincinnati who wrote award winning blogs, two in Washington State, another in Milwaukee. Me, in Lubbock.

What fun it was, writing a daily blog and interacting. That began shortly after I retired and ran for several years. One day it became apparent I had said all I had to say. Illness forced another to drop out, others dropped out for various reasons, one by one. We all agreed it had been a special time, exploring our emotions and creating friendships as well as content we could all appreciate. I have been looking, hoping to find that sense of belonging that once made me feel alive. Foolish I suppose.

... I'm looking for a diabetic friendly bread. I've heard or read sourdough if made with a good starter, will not spike one's blood sugar. I'm trying whole wheats, rye, and looking for
a good flaxseed bread or bread made with at least some flaxseed flour....
I don't know if gluten-free low-cal bread translates to diabetic friendly but I found a gluten-free 100 calorie "Everything Bagel" by O'Dough's. It's pre-sliced which is convenient. The bagel is half the thickness of a regular bagel and I often only eat the top or bottom. I buy them from a health food store (EarthFare). Call ahead to your local store to see if they have them or maybe buy online. Ask your doctor first.

Instead of butter I put fresh avocado on it since it's a healthy oil. I often sprinkle a little "Everything Bagel Seasoning" on top of the avocado. It's so delicious with eggs in the morning or anytime. Eggs may not be on your Can-Do list though.

Got up this morning with the intent of renewing my vehicle tags and registration.
Noticed my driver's license expire the end of this month, so I also renewed them.
So as far as driving is concerned, I'm good to go for another four years.

What are carbs? What do they consist of? Are they necessary for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do some people lose weight by cutting carbs? What do they cut? I crave sweets. I know sweets are bad for me. Are sweets carbs? I was going to buy some cookies to satisfy my great desire for something sweet but decided not to buy them. I know I will regret this decision tonight and wish I had two cookies left over to give away after I had eaten the rest of the package. That is a nightmare I repeatedly experience.

This morning for breakfast I had two, maybe two and a half scrambled eggs, a piece of oat nut toast, two slices of bacon cooked two minutes in the microwave and coffee. What should I have left off? Sometimes life is complicated. I've got many low cal dinners in the freezer to help me lose weight. The many not in the freezer I have eaten over time. I thought I would lose weight. Look at me. Don't laugh, its not funny.

I have inched up one or two tenths at a time until now, I stand at the door. Life has no purpose. Only carbs, but what are they?

I know I will regret this decision tonight and wish I had two cookies left over to give away after I had eaten the rest of the package.

I'm sorry Drifter, but this statement made me laugh..

I know, it's terrible; it always strikes at night. At night when we're sitting and no plans to burn up those carbs. *sigh*

Lately, I've been more into sweets than before. Cookies. Damn them.

I've got a sore chin. It was painful to the touch but now without touching I am aware my chin is tender. It started out as a small bump on my chin and I paid little attention to it. But after shaving over it several times is when I first noticed the soreness because the bump is getting larger and my shaver is taking a tole on the bump, occasionally drawing blood leaving it sore so I am aware during my waking hours.

This morning I shaved with a blade, trimming my beard all around the bump and because hair is growing out of the bump itself I had to also use my electric razor to try and cut the hairs shorter.
It is difficult to shave, it is sore, and I'm wondering how much larger the bump will get. I'm thinking time will tell.

I've got a sore chin. It was painful to the touch but now without touching I am aware my chin is tender. It started out as a small bump on my chin and I paid little attention to it. But after shaving over it several times is when I first noticed the soreness because the bump is getting larger and my shaver is taking a tole on the bump, occasionally drawing blood leaving it sore so I am aware during my waking hours.

This morning I shaved with a blade, trimming my beard all around the bump and because hair is growing out of the bump itself I had to also use my electric razor to try and cut the hairs shorter.
It is difficult to shave, it is sore, and I'm wondering how much larger the bump will get. I'm thinking time will tell.
You might want to see the doc about that, @drifter.

How are we on cookies tonight? I feel hungry for some- fell asleep early and now I'm up.

Had a breakfast of oatmeal, slice of toast, thin slice of ham, and coffee
The oatmeal was one serving and seemed rather small. I have hit my
weight limit. My plan has not been working. I've been having three meals
and a snack daily, thinking of my diabetes but my weight has gotten
away from me. Think I'll have Oatmeal three times a day, plus a snack with
either ham or bacon, and toast. See how that works.

Last edited:
31August19
Saturday morning
Weight: 175.0
Weight on August 23rd - 181.0
Slowly bring it down.
If only I can continue.

Blood Sugar-137
Blood Pressure, sitting-121-74-782
Blood Pressure, standing, 106-68-85

Last edited:
I was going out and run around some today but decided against it. Actually I was going junking. Going to buy some junk. And one of my favorite places to go

in my little town is to the Salvation Army store. I go to look, hoping I suppose, to find that diamond in the rough. Maybe an upscale piece of clothing like a good cap.

I look for cups. What kind of cups? I don’t know but I’ll know one when I see it. Which reminds, I have broken so many dishes this summer. I mean maybe a half a dozen cups, dropped them in the sink and break them into dozens of pieces. I could use a couple of good cups.

By the way, I am trying to find a good wallet, not any ole wallet but a fine one like I have been carrying around for so long. Now I did buy two or three wallets from the Salvation Store. I thought they might work but they haven’t so I threw them in one of my junk drawers.

When I turned seventeen my dad gave me a wallet. He bought it at a saddle shop in Amarillo, Texas. It was one piece of leather which folded up with slots to hold everything in place. It was good leather and the slots were perfectly cut so they could not work out. It was a beautiful wallet. I carried it with me when I went into military service, then overseas to Korea. Two hitches over there the wallet survived. It was with me during two winters when we had no place to get out of the weather when it dropped down below zero except the trenches. During wet and dry weather we were together. Two monsoon seasons we lived through, the wallet soaked for days on end. it held my stuff, what I was expected to carry and any military pay script. The wallet endured a year and half at Fort Lewis, Washington after we returned stateside.

After discharge the wallet was with me during a variety of jobs till one day while riding in my hip pocket in a pair of shorts on the golf course and during the game doing a little betting, I pulled it out to grab a bill or two to pay off a debt I had incurred and dropped the wallet. I reached over and picked it up and said, “Sorry old buddy.” My three golfing partners laughed. One of them asked, “What’s that thing?” It was sweat soaked, had some wrinkles in the leather and did look much like I did when when feeling ill. When I got home I decided to retire the wallet. In dog years and maybe wallet years it was getting old. I cleaned it and carefully placed it in my sock drawer to stay until one day, years later, I decided that was foolish and threw it away. I started carrying everything I needed in my front pocket with a rubber band around it.

One day a couple of years later my wife gave me a card holder. It too was fine leather and I used it for several years as a card file, until one day I obtained a rolodex. Remember those? I pitched the leather card holder in my sock drawer.

I bought two or three wallets but didn’t like them. I tried for several months to find another like my old buddy I threw away. I attempted on two or three occasions to have leather shops make me one like that first good wallet. No dice. Then one morning I started to the gym. I stuck my wallet into my front pocket and it was bulky, made too large a bulge. So I took our my drivers license and a credit card and a few dollars I had, folded the money and got that credit card holder out of my sock drawer, put my stuff in the card file, stuck it in my front pocket and off I went.

Now since that time I have sewed both edges of the leather to keep it from coming apart but does really need replacing. I’ve looked online for a replacement. Bought a couple but they were not right, too large or too small or something. So now and every once in a while I stop off at a junk store and I look for something that might replace something good but old that I carry. I’ve also checked antique shops, so far to no avail.

I guess I’ve always been a junker. It seems to have been forever that I needed more than one drawer to hold my junk stuff. I used to look for old fountain pens and ink wells and good old mechanical pencils so I’m sure I’ve got a junkers heart.

I guess what it is, I’m tired of spending money on things that don’t work out. Some things I’ve owned, little things, like a pocket knife, a wallet, a writing instruments had character or maybe they suited me.

Sometime I go out junking because I’ve been in the house too long. I need to get out, to look at people, speak to some, see what working people are about, but know this, when I do I’ve always got my eye peeled, looking for something of yore, that’s useful.

Thanks for listening to me. I was getting lonesome.

Hearing about your wallet and junking was fun. Your dad really gave you a fine gift!

My grandson made a wallet out of duct tape.

iu

The instructions are on YouTube!

Back