From A Wide Spot In The Road

Adrift on the Missouri River, by Rolland Love (LINK)
Rolland-Love-300-dpi-3-199x3001-199x300.jpg

Growing up I had a friend whose dad sold junk iron and bought old cars that wouldn't run and burned them out, selling all the metal. He cut the tops off cars and we used some of them to float down the river. Once we were going to float down the Wichita River from Wichita Falls, Texas
to the Red River. We left in the morning. It was further than we thought and when our top sank in deep water we had to swim to shore, not knowing where we were and it was after dark before we made our way back home, all cut up, and wet, and tired from a very long walk for ten year olds, and a little frightening. Plus we had to face out parents who had no idea of what we were doing but were out looking for us.

Thanks for asking. She left at three-thirty going home. She looks better than she did. She tires so easily. She is on and will be on chemo, a specific chemo for her disease. She is also on an antibiotic because she has an infection she is having trouble shaking, and other meds to help her pain from bone breakage. Infections can be very serious because she has no immune system to speak of fight them. Her face is swollen by the weekly chemo, and she has, I think, some 'chemo brain.' Otherwise she seems to be okay. We tried to share a lot of love. And, I think, she is better than I expected. The visit was great and I hope there are more.

And I am somewhat concerned about my own memory which it seems has gotten noticeably worse. I hope this turns out to be temporary or my
imagination, or maybe a weekend hangover from too much to eat and lose of sleep, or something minor.

The Dreamer was not a dream. I didn't know what else to call it. It, a product of an over-active imagination, perhaps from a litle day dreaming. I spent an hour this evening trying to identify the individual in my avatar. His face is/was familiar, but I couldn't pull out a name. It ook a long time to find and where I first saw it. I was pleased with myself to find it. Now I have forgotten again. Perhaps I can retrace my steps. For pete's sake, the guy was my favorite Actor for almost two decades. I will look again which won't be as difficult.

Last edited:
The Dreamer was not a dream. I didn't know what else to call it. It, a product of an over-active imagination, perhaps from a litle day dreaming. I spent an hour this evening trying to identify the individual in my avatar. His face is/was familiar, but I couldn't pull out a name. It ook a long time to find and where I first saw it. I was pleased with myself to find it. Now I have forgotten again. Perhaps I can retrace my steps. For pete's sake, the guy was my favorite for almost two decades. I will look again which won't be as difficult.
Clint Eastwood? (The Mule)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Books That Shaped My Life

by Ann

Books have been an integral part of my life, shaping my thinking, directing my success, creating adventure, contributing to my happiness, and influencing my connection to society around me.

In the late 1930s my first book was Raggedy Ann & Andy. I still remember the warm feeling of love I felt when told the words on Raggedy Ann’s candy heart read, “I Love You.’

In the late 1940s while spending afternoons in a small,one room city library, I experienced growing pains with Little Women’s Jo, and got acquainted with St. Luke in Taylor Caldwell's Dear and Glorious Physician. During the 1950s my thinking was shaped by the works of Norman Vincent Peel in the Power of Positive Thinking; Napoleon Hill’s, Think and Grow Rich; The Magic of Believing, by Claude Bristol; Maxwell Malt’s Psychocybernuetics, and tempered with Dale Carnegie’s, How To Win Friends and Influence People.

Dr. Spock guided me as I raised my children. The late 1960s were my inquisition years, ‘what if’s’ from the works of Edgar Cayce, Ruth Montgomery, and Adela Rogers St John. The Honey Badger and Valley of the Dolls were my first introduction to exploit sex in novels. Elizabeth ForsythHailey’s, A Women of Independent Means and Oliver Ann Burn’s, Cold Sassy Tree exemplified the strong southern woman I would choose to become and reminded me to appreciate my southern heritage.

In the latter years of the ’70’s Dag Hammarskjold directed my spiral path in Markings and ‘I sensed the privilege of being in contact with a great, good, and lovable man’ W. H. Walden pointed out in the forward of his book. During the 1980s Erich Fromm’s, The Art of Living, and Leo Buscaglia’s Love, taught me the definition of love. In the late 80s, I was Getting Better All The Time with Liz Carpenter, starter to wear purple with Jenny Joseph, and spent time, Going Within with Shirley MacLaine. Then learned, What To Say When Yo Talk To Yourself from Shad Helmstettler.

The 1990s were the ‘two hankie’ books’ where I shed two hankies worth of tears of joy, laughter, empathy or sorrow. Notable were Bailey White’s, Mama Makes Up Her Mind and The Bridges of madison County and The Notebook. I am a world traveler via the magic of books, had a wonderful time crossing the United States with Charles Kuralt, ‘Charley,’ and John Steinbeck.

I have grown a wonderful life through books and plan to continue throughout this lifetime.

Backed up my computer tonight and when I thought it finished, I unplugged the backup drive.
Don't know what effect this will have on my backup but this was not the way to do things, merely
to unplug the back device. Fact is I've never completed a backup successfully. I don't know how to do it. The backup HD contains my backup. My son's back up, my daughter in law's backup, and my grand-.daughter's school backup. I bought this backup hard drive two or three years ago, backed up my HD with similar results, then gave it to my son. To be quit truthful, I hate sharing devises. If I attempt this again, I'll buy another device.

Last edited:
Got it backed up properly next morning. Loaded twenty books onto my iBook on my desktop. These were given to my son by a couple of friends from Wisconsin. Stories by Larry McMurtry
And Sinclair Lewis. I synced them to my iPad so they can be easier read. I've got plenty of reading material, including "Lonesome Dove." I picked one at random to read. It is by McMurtry, Rhino
Ranch."
Have read five chapters. These will be great on 'sleepless nights'.

Okay, just a quick note. I got down to the weight I wanted, 169.0. I enjoyed it for a few days, then
I went out and bought some little powdered sugar donuts, some oatmeal-raisin cookies, some
magnum ice cream bars,and a pack of cinnamon-raisin bagels. I have enjoyed those for a few days.
Now I'm back to 175.0 and I'm dieting. I can't wait to get down to 169.0 again. Cheers.

My retirement years have been my best years. There are some things I wish I could still do.
I wish I could walk again. I can remember when three, four, or five miles was no problem.
I could pick 'em up and put 'em down and in nothing flat, I would be where I wanted to go,
walking. I enjoyed walking and walked some every day.

I also wish I could ride a bike again. I rode for years, most often rode seventy miles a week
for pleasure. I know as we age we lose some of our abilities but walking and biking are
two things I think I miss the most, other than doing little things around the house.

Going to have to drop one
There's only so much space
My, its hard to get things done
Can't keep up this pace.

Last edited:
My retirement years have been my best years. There are some things I wish I could still do.
I wish I could walk again. I can remember when three, four, or five miles was no problem.
I could pick 'em up and put 'em down and in nothing flat, I would be where I wanted to go,
walking. I enjoyed walking and walked some every day.

I also wish I could ride a bike again. I rode for years, most often rode seventy miles a week
for pleasure. I know as we age we lose some of our abilities but walking and biking are
two things I think I miss the most, other than doing little things around the house.
I know what you mean about walking. We used to walk all over town as kids....even to the next town and back. Now, it's hurts to walk very far.

We just have to try to keep moving. I take my little dog out for short walks. Then there's the dang housework.

I never kept a dairy till now
Not good at that sort of thing
So its goodbye, so long, adios
Its time I said farewell.

Last edited:

Back