Frugal Living - how are you managing?

I was watching the news and it showed tons of people in their cars at a food bank in Texas. The thing I noticed was lots of SUV’s that looked fairly new. I have lots of empathy being a former social worker but their priorities are definitely mixed up. They should sell their vehicles and buy something for cash.

I was watching the news and it showed tons of people in their cars at a food bank in Texas. The thing I noticed was lots of SUV’s that looked fairly new. I have lots of empathy being a former social worker but their priorities are definitely mixed up. They should sell their vehicles and buy something for cash.
How do you think they're paying for their SUV's?

How do you think they're paying for their SUV's?
It's seems to be always a Mercedes..
This happens a lot here with Eastern European Beggars.. especially women. I've lost count of the times I;ve seen them beg all day on the street, then get into a Mercedes at the end of their ''shift'' usually they're the drivers... It's just infuriating that they're taking advantage of people's good natures..

There was a report on Tv once about it, and they followed one particular family, where there was begging and also the husband claiming benefits for him his wife and 10 kids.. 6 of whom didn't even live in the UK..

They traced him to his house in Romania.. an almost Palatial home which he bragged about had been paid for by UK benefits and begging... and he had no plans to stop..!

Last edited:
Keep mine on 83. Sometimes 82 at night. Glad to see another doing the same. You actually get used to it. I'm lucky I don't get the afternoon sun at least.

The ceiling fan in the dining area is OK but the clicking noise gets on my nerves so I don't really use it. The one in the bedroom is small and unusable.
Maybe your dining area ceiling fan needs some WD40...lol. Yes, not only does it save on electricity bills, but think its better for your body also. We found out that because of living where its more warm throughout much of the year, when it gets chilly in winter we freeze. We used to keep the house very warm in the winter - found out its better to keep it cooler in winter. That way when you go outside you aren't so fridgedly cold. Just put a sweater on in the house, if needed.

Hopefully, we're going to save money with heating bills this winter because we're getting 14 new windows replaced today. This house was built in 1969 by a VERY "frugal" man who took shortcuts on every square inch of this house. The old windows were actually windows that he got for nothing and he put them in vertical instead of horizontal. They were meant for a mid-century modern house with the long horizontal windows but he turned them the other way. Haha. It wasn't a cheap thing to replace them but they needed to be done.

Hopefully, we're going to save money with heating bills this winter because we're getting 14 new windows replaced today. This house was built in 1969 by a VERY "frugal" man who took shortcuts on every square inch of this house. The old windows were actually windows that he got for nothing and he put them in vertical instead of horizontal. They were meant for a mid-century modern house with the long horizontal windows but he turned them the other way. Haha. It wasn't a cheap thing to replace them but they needed to be done.
That's wonderful, @Colleen! Keep us posted on how it works out in the long run.

It bugs me when people take all the "freebies" they can get when they really don't need them. The way I see it, it's taking away limited resources from people who really do need the help.

Yeah, I know that one
only we didn't have the mangle
and it was the '50s

Moms did the wash
hung the wash
unhung the wash
folded the clothes and linen
ironed the other clothes
made breakfast, lunch, dinner ('tween times)
Kept the house
tended the garden

The job was steady
The pay sucked

No wonder her and many more ran out the door and got jobs

Then
Gramma did the wash
hung the wash
unhung the wash
folded the clothes and linen
ironed the other clothes
made breakfast, lunch, dinner ('tween times)
Kept the house
tended the garden.....

Yeah

good times

View attachment 236874
If that photo is of you, @Gary O,' looks like you were a happy child.:)

Wonder how many people even think to ask about the past utility charges of the units they are thinking of
living in. Have head complaints about small apartments having such costly electric/gas bills.
That's a good idea, @Liberty! It's good when an apartment includes utilities in the monthly rent, but if it doesn't, it surely is something to ask about!

@Colleen, we could be neighbors. Sounds like my house, too!

It bugs me when people take all the "freebies" they can get when they really don't need them. The way I see it, it's taking away limited resources from people who really do need the help.
My former MIL (who has long since passed so I don't like speaking ill of the dead but I'm making an exception here) was the queen of thrift even though she could afford whatever she needed. In the town in which she lived, there was a food bank that handed out a bag of staples each week to low-income families. The bag usually contained a carton of milk, cheese, bread, peanut butter, grape jelly and some fresh vegetables. Each week my MIL would go and pick up a bag which meant that someone else didn't get one. I never understood why she didn't see how wrong this was.

My parents were frugal, probably because they went through the depression. Some of it might have rubbed off me, but mostly I think because I was dead broke after college so I know what it's like. The car I drove then had bad, almost no brakes and a friend knew a mechanic who was a "paper hanger" who would put an inspection sticker on a dead horse.

My former MIL (who has long since passed so I don't like speaking ill of the dead but I'm making an exception here) was the queen of thrift even though she could afford whatever she needed. In the town in which she lived, there was a food bank that handed out a bag of staples each week to low-income families. The bag usually contained a carton of milk, cheese, bread, peanut butter, grape jelly and some fresh vegetables. Each week my MIL would go and pick up a bag which meant that someone else didn't get one. I never understood why she didn't see how wrong this was.
sometimes it's being so mean and tight that makes people so rich...

My parents were frugal, probably because they went through the depression. Some of it might have rubbed off me, but mostly I think because I was dead broke after college so I know what it's like. The car I drove then had bad, almost no brakes and a friend knew a mechanic who was a "paper hanger" who would put an inspection sticker on a dead horse.
My parents were extremely frugal simply because one wage or sometimes 2 wages when my mum was able to work just wasn't enough to feed and clothe 6... there was no help in those days.. no child Tax credits, no benefits of any kind like they get today. In those days child benefit was paid out at a paltry rate for the eldest child and less for the second and third and then nothing for any children after. .. so we had very little in the way of food.. or material things. For example.. in our house the same ornaments were there from the time I was born until my mother died, they wouldn't ever have replaced them, the same curtains, the same everything unless it got broken and had to be replaced, nothing was ever changed just for the sake of it as we do today..

I don't know if it's the same in the USA but here people even get money to pay for a new pram.. and baby clothes when they have a newborn, and then £22 each week for the eldest child, and £14 per week for every subsequent child until they leave full time education.. Everyone gets this regardless of whether they're employed or not.. .. and then there's all sorts of other benefits to be had, help with the cost of school uniforms, help with the cost of school lunches.. free..this free that.. and even more if they're unemployed and have never paid into the sytem , which shows in how many more children those who have never worked have..compared to those who are employed

No help for pensioners tho' who have actually paid into the system for 50 years...

Sadly, some people have a disconnect or an entitlement. Their brains are just different I guess. I've never needed to utilize a food bank. I would if I really needed it, but only then.

was living and working in an older hotel in oregon when the entire block was sold so that a new courthouse could be built there. The tenants had to be relocated and since it was a federal project money was paid to move them. The amounts of money varied from one to another depending on who screeched the loudest. Some bought rv's to live in, some moved into other hud type hotels. I moved into an older hotel converted into studio appartments.

Fracking's environmental effect on clean water. <--

FrackinginPA.jpg

The bottle in the center is contaminated water from their tap caused by fracking.
Yes, things like this have happened, and we have learned from them. This risk is much lower now, we have learned a lot about how to do it safely. And fracking only represents a very small part of the toxic waters injected into the subsurface, for some reason we are a lot more afraid of fracking than toxic wastewater disposal by subsurface injection, a much more common event with similar problems.

The linked article comes from Greenpeace, hardly a fair and balanced source. Looks to me like mostly scare tactics to raise money for Greenpeace. Here is a much better well balanced peer-reviewed piece: The Environmental Costs and Benefits of Fracking - https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev-environ-031113-144051 From the abstract:

Unconventional oil and natural gas extraction enabled by horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is driving an economic boom, with consequences described from “revolutionary” to “disastrous.” Reality lies somewhere in between. Unconventional energy generates income and, done well, can reduce air pollution and even water use compared with other fossil fuels. Alternatively, it could slow the adoption of renewables and, done poorly, release toxic chemicals into water and air

Last edited:
In an effort to lower my electricity bill, today I raised my thermostat to 76. I usually keep it at 72. As a result, I changed from my usual long-sleeved top to a sleeveless top and made sure the ceiling fans were working. it's been very comfortable all day, even though outside was in the upper 80s. The other change I did was to wash my clothes with cold water instead of warm or hot water. I have not used a clothes line for drying - yet. Incremental steps will get me there. :)
I have one setting in the summer regardless of how hot it gets. Thermostat at 79 all day, everyday. To sleep at night, I just turn on the ceiling fan to be more comfortable.

I have one setting in the summer regardless of how hot it gets. Thermostat at 79 all day, everyday. To sleep at night, I just turn on the ceiling fan to be more comfortable.
My mother lives in Florida and also has the thermostat at 79. I will see about raising the thermostat a little more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Americans, Canadians and the rest of 'em that are deep in debt are not going to get any sympathy from me. They are the cause of their own misery and have only themselves to blame. They were "sockers" for the advertisers and they were too weak to resist so now they have to pay the price. To bad but as the bible says, "you rip what you sow."

Back