Frugal Living - how are you managing?

I'm not sure but I think they combined the federal and excise tax.

I found this article from 20009 and it looks like that's what they did. > https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a2.htm
Taxes on cigarettes have gone up dramatically in many cases since 2009. That's very old information. One of the problems with the internet is that old info remains as easy to access as more current info. (I use "search within the last year" as parameters for something like this.)
$2.97 per pack ????...OMG.. that's like 10 % of the cost of a pack here..:eek: don't let the smokers know they'll all be emigrating..
$2.87 is only one of the taxes that are on cigarettes sold in California. As I said in my post, cigarettes in this state are roughly $10 per pack.

Good table, but does it include the federal tax of $1.01 per pack?

Pretty much agrees with the Wikipedia table I saw on the state taxes, but seems to include sales tax that I had not thought of.
Cigarettes are a lot more than $5.53 in California. Close to $10 a pack in most places.

I'm not sure where the above information came from, but I just double checked California's excise tax on cigarettes. It's $2.87 per pack, not 87¢ per pack. Federal excise taxes add another $1.01 per pack. Then there's state and local sales tax, which ranges from a low of 7.25% in some counties to 10.75% in others. (It's 9.5% in the City of Los Angeles).

It's been decades since cigarettes cost $5.53 in California. I haven't smoked since the early 80s, but it's hard to miss the price of a pack of cigarettes when the person in front of you at a convenience store buys a pack.

https://cdtfa.ca.gov/industry/cigarette-and-tobacco-products.htm
https://igentax.com/cigarette-tax-state/#___Federal_tobacco__cigarette_taxes__
@StarSong - Rob's question was not about how much tax on cigarettes in 2022. He asked, "does it include the federal tax?"

I found this article from 2009 and it looks like that's what they did. > https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a2.htm
The article I sited above is clearly from the CDC, and it states that in 2009 the government "combined federal and average state excise taxes for cigarettes." That was the answer to his question. Again, we weren't discussing the amount of tax or the price of a pack of cigarettes in 2022.

From the CDC - " On April 1, 2009, the largest federal cigarette excise tax increase in history went into effect, bringing the combined federal and average state excise tax for cigarettes to $2.21 per pack and achieving the Healthy People 2010 (HP2010) objective (27-21a) to increase the combined federal and average state cigarette excise tax to at least $2 per pack (1). This report summarizes changes in the federal excise tax, as well as state excise taxes for all 50 states and the District of Columbia (DC) from December 31, 1995 to April 1, 2009.* "

I hope that clears it up for you. :)

Bella ✌️

no, it states 2021.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/cigarette-prices-by-state
The states with the highest cigarette prices are:

1. New York ($11.96)
  2. Rhode Island ($11.71)*
  3. Connecticut ($11.60)
  4. Massachusetts ($11.11)
  5. Minnesota ($10.49)
  6. Alaska ($10.46)
  7. Hawaii ($10.41)
  8. Maryland ($10.26)
  9. Illinois ($10.60)
  10. Washington ($10.14)

*Were the District of Columbia included in this metric, it would have the nation’s second-most expensive pack price at $11.75.

Click on link for other states.

Good table, but does it include the federal tax of $1.01 per pack?

Pretty much agrees with the Wikipedia table I saw on the state taxes, but seems to include sales tax that I had not thought of.

I found this article from 2009 and it looks like that's what they did. > https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a2.htm
@Bella
Sorry. I didn't realize you were intentionally discussing taxes that were 13 years old, especially because the heading on your post stated

Cigarette Price / Tax by State for 2022​

Carry on.
@StarSong - No, we were not "intentionally discussing taxes that were 13 years old". That is not the heading we are talking about.

What we were discussing was if the excise tax also included the federal tax. Once again THIS in this article from the CDC that clearly states that in 2009 the government "combined federal and average state excise tax" for cigarettes. > https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a2.htm < That is what we were discussing.

I give up. :)

Bella ✌️

Eldest daughter is also a jack-mormon like myself. For years now she has rolled her own (has a cookie sheet with her tools) purchases bagged tobacco along with filtered paper tubes. While she watches TV she busies herself making packs of customed rolled cigs. She says she pays about 2 dollars a pack. Not taxed, nor stamped. I'd just as soon see her quit but knowing how hard it was for me, do cut her a little slack. Maybe that's her way of getting her year's supply.

Last edited:
no, it states 2021.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/cigarette-prices-by-state
The states with the highest cigarette prices are:

1. New York ($11.96)
  2. Rhode Island ($11.71)*
  3. Connecticut ($11.60)
  4. Massachusetts ($11.11)
  5. Minnesota ($10.49)
  6. Alaska ($10.46)
  7. Hawaii ($10.41)
  8. Maryland ($10.26)
  9. Illinois ($10.60)
  10. Washington ($10.14)

*Were the District of Columbia included in this metric, it would have the nation’s second-most expensive pack price at $11.75.

Click on link for other states.
Quite a few years ago, the then-governor decided to have the cigarette price increased, presumably because he wanted his wife to quit smoking- although I'm sure it didn't work that way. Some smokers in this area started driving to Missouri each month to stock up.. if map is accurate, around 150 miles.

Recently, I vaguely noticed big-brands such as Marlboro and Newport are $7.99+ per pack, and I don't think that includes tax. Generics, the last I knew, were $5-$6. per pack.
Frankly, I think it's kinda dopey to buy the name brands, but for many people it's a status-symbol.
I'm trying to quit, but I smoke Phillies; depending on the store I go to, they're between $1.60-$2. per pack, and that includes tax.

Quite a few years ago, the then-governor decided to have the cigarette price increased, presumably because he wanted his wife to quit smoking- although I'm sure it didn't work that way. Some smokers in this area started driving to Missouri each month to stock up.. if map is accurate, around 150 miles.

Recently, I vaguely noticed big-brands such as Marlboro and Newport are $7.99+ per pack, and I don't think that includes tax. Generics, the last I knew, were $5-$6. per pack.
Frankly, I think it's kinda dopey to buy the name brands, but for many people it's a status-symbol.
I'm trying to quit, but I smoke Phillies; depending on the store I go to, they're between $1.60-$2. per pack, and that includes tax.
Where do you live?
$1.60-$2. per pack, and that includes tax. Does not seem possible.
Are you Native American buying form a Native outlet? Even so, who pays 2.00 for a pack of cigarettes in the US?

@hollydolly and others in the UK, I've been reading an increasing number of horrifying articles about the likely "heat or eat" coming to Great Britain. Do you think your politicians will get off their duffs and manage this potential catastrophe before it strikes, or will it take news stories of people freezing/starving to death to motivate them?

If people wouldn't hoard, there would be enough.

I've seen some of these stay at home moms on YouTube with several or many kids, hoarding so badly a few of them have mini-marts in their basements.

The TP hysteria was mostly due to hoarding and over-buying to sell at high prices!
I’m not sure I would call it hoarding…..these programs I see……called extreme couponers……they collect coupons majorly and pay very little for there purchase, if anything at all.
Don’t see anything wrong with that.

“Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.” - Warren Buffett
That's a riot, Aunt Bea. Leave it to Warren Buffett - a practical man if ever there was one.
The couponers are not who I was referring to.
I remember what you're referring to. During Spring 2020, a number of people were discovered - and outed by investigative news reporters - to have bought loads of TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, isopropyl alcohol and sanitizing wipes. They had garages and storage lockers full of these and intended to sell them at an extreme profit to desperate people.

That's a riot, Aunt Bea. Leave it to Warren Buffett - a practical man if ever there was one.

I remember what you're referring to. During Spring 2020, a number of people were discovered - and outed by investigative news reporters - to have bought loads of TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, isopropyl alcohol and sanitizing wipes. They had garages and storage lockers full of these and intended to sell them at an extreme profit to desperate people.
I remember when there were extreme shortages due to covid listings on ebay from people selling TP at outrageous prices.

I’m not sure I would call it hoarding…..these programs I see……called extreme couponers……they collect coupons majorly and pay very little for there purchase, if anything at all.
Don’t see anything wrong with that.
I used coupons a lot in the 80s & 90s. Many stores also doubled coupons in those days, and Sunday newspapers included big coupon sections. Having three children in diapers at the same time, I timed purchases so they were on sale and it was a double coupon day, My MIL, mom, Mom's neighbors and my neighbors used to clip diaper coupons for me.

I stopped couponing a long time ago because the quality of store brands improved and were cheaper than name brands, even when coupons were factored in. Also, coupons increasingly targeted highly processed foods.

Do people even use coupons anymore?

I used coupons a lot in the 80s & 90s. Many stores also doubled coupons in those days, and Sunday newspapers included big coupon sections. Having three children in diapers at the same time, I timed purchases so they were on sale and it was a double coupon day, My mom, her neighbors and my neighbors used to clip diaper coupons for me.

I stopped couponing a long time ago because the quality of store brands improved and were cheaper than name brands, even when coupons were factored in. Also, coupons increasingly targeted highly processed foods.

Do people even use coupons anymore?
I always used coupons when I bought newspapers, but it became pointless when they started to be on the www. and needed to be printed out.. ink is expensive!
I still receive cigarette coupons in the mail occasionally.. although I no longer smoke them. I used to pass them on to a neighbor, but locals won't use coupons. A few years ago I even knew a homeless guy with no income who said 'We can't use coupons, people will think we're poor!' :oops:

Sometimes I think being frugal becomes so ingrained in our thinking we do things unconsciously.

For instance....today is trash day, in preparation last night I took my kitchen trash out to the garage. What I do is dump the kitchen garbage bag into the larger trash bag in the garage, then reuse the kitchen bag. I thought about it and realized I have been doing this for years. Obviously if it's nasty I toss the bag but mostly my kitchen garbage is dry trash, so I keep reusing the bag over and over. I probably save enough every year for a tank of gas but that's good enough reason for me.

Then for the bathroom garbage I reuse bags from stores and toss them every week. But I think everyone uses store bags in their bathrooms, right?

Back