Gender stereotyping

All I can say, and I say it quite a bit...……...welcome to 2020! This "stereotyping" has been going on and won't stop. For years, people, including wife and I, have judged folks by how they look, act and speak. In that way, we don't associate with the wrong crowd or people we see inappropriate to associate with. At least that's the way we feel.

@ClassicRockr You do quite well here "associating" with me Cody. We've had some civil and interesting back and forth discussions. But by your criteria, I am the "wrong" sort of person for you to be associating with. I have turquoise hair, piercings, tattoos, have never been to a rodeo because I don't care for them for a laundry list of reasons, and am entirely inappropriate for you to be in touch with, by your standards.

And yet we do fine. Is it because you can't see me so it doesn't bother you as much? What makes it OK for you to deal with me here, and yet from everything you've said over time, if you met me in person you wouldn't even give me the time of day. I promise I'm not hassling you or trying to give you a hard time. I'm genuinely curious.

I suppose I'm a product of gender stereo-typing as are most of us in this age group, but frankly I don't see the problem. "SO" damaging in what way?

Harmful in that gender stereotyping is one of the root causes for discrimination, abuse and violence. So many sad cases in the media for example where violence has been perpetuated on a person whose gender isn't clear, or whose sexual orientation does not conform to their gender.

Gender-based judgements or biases can damage a person’s self-esteem, inhibit their capacity to develop personal abilities, and even deter them from pursuing careers paths that don’t align with traditional norms. For example, girls between the ages of 10 and 13 are at their most vulnerable and impressionable stage in life, so when they are continually told they are less capable than their male counterparts, they begin to believe it. This affects girls for the rest of their lives, and limits their hopes and dreams for the future.

For males, it's still a commonly held belief that showing any sort of emotion is not okay. As a result guys are forced to suck it up and eventually over time it builds up in creating an unhealthy self-image and influencing future relationships. Men have a higher suicide rate than women too, and though there's been no bona fide link I can't help but wonder if the "real men don't cry or show emotion" stereotype is one of the reasons

There is a shortage of females in STEM fields. At least some of this shortage has been attributed to the commonly held idea that females are not analytical enough and are more suited to “people smart” and “social” careers. Even though these qualities are valuable, they should not only be attributed to females as this discourages them from pursuing careers that may require interaction with machines, instead of people.

There's more.......but I hope I've given you a bit more information.

Sad to say, reinforcement also comes from unexpected places. For instance the Superbowl halftime performances by Shakira and J-Lo.

These women are powerful in the entertainment field and have been around for a long time. Shakira is 42 and J-Lo 50. Not kids, by any means. Yes they were singing, but the focus was on dancing that was little more than gyrations. To say they were scantily clad would be an understatement. (Congratulations, you spend every spare moment in the gym or dance class.)

By treating themselves as sex objects, what messages are they sending to girls AND boys of future generations? Could they possibly do a better job of encouraging along future Harvey Weinsteins and setting up young girls to hate their own bodies?

If I ever hear J-Lo or Shakira moan about sexism or not being taken seriously, I'll be laughing my head off.

I am far from a prude, ditto my husband, daughter & SIL, with whom I watched the SB last night. Also my 5 year old granddaughter and 7 year old grandson, both watching wide-eyed. We adults were deeply dismayed and outraged by the overt messages sent by the performances.
I agree with you 100%, my daughter n her friends watched it till the young ones came into the room than they turned,it off!!

Sorry Girl's.....I liked the whole show....This was not any other show on the Super Bowl....I've watched many Super Bowl's....
It was the same thng, gyrating their bodies and putting on a show....Shut the TV if you don't like it....It's a free Country...HOPEFULLY
FOR NOW...….You never know what is in our future......Ugh!!
I found it pathetic and disturbing that these talented, powerful women continue to spread the message that their physical appearances and carnal attractiveness are their most valuable attributes. (A stripper pole? Really? Note to J-Lo: Just because you can doesn't mean you should...)

Talk about reinforcing gender stereotypes! The underlying message was, Girls - here's what'll bring you fame, fortune and happiness:
Stay young and hot even during menopause.
Be sure to publicly telegraph your strong erotic skillset and willingness to use it.

I noticed the male singers were completely dressed and in loose clothing, at that.

Manatee said, "What I got that girls didn't get was my draft notice. ". Because of what was between my legs I had to go off and kill people. And girls didn't. I agree with Manatee. If a 98 lb. man can be trained ti kill, why can't a 98 lb. female? Today, you don't need to have superhuman strenght to be on the battlefield. If you want equality, you want to get rid of gender stereotyping, you want gender justice; then when called , go off, and kill people. I think you have to accept what gender equality means, if you want equality. Even if you aren't called to service, knowing that you could be, proves that you are equal. You're no longer "just a girl".

And while I'm carping on this. I've know women, who are fierce feminists, until it comes time to pay the check.

Last edited:
Manatee said, "What I got that girls didn't get was my draft notice. ". Because of what was between my legs I had to go off and kill people. And girls didn't. I agree with Manatee. If a 98 lb. man can be trained ti kill, why can't a 98 lb. female? Today, you don't need to have superhuman strenght to be on the battlefield. If you want equality, you want to get rid of gender stereotyping, you want gender justice; then when called , go off, and kill people. I think you have to accept what gender equality means, if you want equality. Even if you aren't called to service, knowing that you could be, proves that you are equal. You're no longer "just a girl".
Your argument is dumb. It's not like females were ever called to do this. In case you haven't noticed, it's not up to the individual citizen to draft themselves.

And while I'm carping on this. I've know women, who are fierce feminists, until it comes time to pay the check.
The draft ended in 1973, which was nearly 50 years ago. When and if it ever gets reinstated, women will surely be drafted as well.

Speaking of which, it was women ourselves who fought hard for the right to be on battle lines alongside men. We didn't "agree" with men that this would be fair, equal and within our capabilities, we insisted on it. And over the objection of many men, by the way.
Please don't imagine that this is something being imposed on us.

I've known plenty of men and women who hit the restroom or can't locate their wallets when it's time to pay the check. Cheapness knows no gender.

Still, if anybody can't figure out a graceful way to handle it, here you go.
Check arrives:
You say, "Total with tip is $100. Divided by 4 = $25 per person. Everybody ok with that?"
Or if it's just two people, you say, "How about if we just split it down the middle."

I noticed the male singers were completely dressed and in loose clothing, at that.

Exactly. And this goes not only for entertainment, it goes for girls sports as well, even at the middle school and high school level. Have you ever seen girl's volley ball shorts? Tighter than tight. And yet the guys wear these ugly, baggy to their knees shorts for their sports. Talk about sexualizing gender. I asked my niece about this once when she was in high school volleyball. She said that she didn't like it but didn't have much choice. That was what they were told to wear.

Exactly. And this goes not only for entertainment, it goes for girls sports as well, even at the middle school and high school level. Have you ever seen girl's volley ball shorts? Tighter than tight. And yet the guys wear these ugly, baggy to their knees shorts for their sports. Talk about sexualizing gender. I asked my niece about this once when she was in high school volleyball. She said that she didn't like it but didn't have much choice. That was what they were told to wear.
Same with gymnasts and ice skaters.

I grew up in the era when men opened doors for women and paid for dinner, etc. But then I became a "chauvanist pig" if I did open doors, or a cad, if I didn't. I mentioned the draft as it focuses on the demands of a society , and how differently men and women are expected to react. In a truly equal society, both sexes would be expected to fight. When I was draft aged, it always amazed me how some women were such war hawks, but knew they would never have to go off to a foreign land, and get shot at. And just to be clear, I am not talking about the exploitation, denying of Rights, nor the discrimination of women. While some decry about gender stereotyping, others use it for their own advantage. And being equal brings with it responsibilities, which not all may want to shoulder. I mentioned going home to a family reunion, where men were pampered and waited on. The women seemed happy to do that. So what were they-exploited, down trodden, and beaten into submission, or wives, who loved their families and themselves.

Actually, I do realize it. Do you have a problem with that? If so, the Ignore button is available for your use.
Don't invite me to use the ignore button. I'm not a snowflake who must be shielded from things that aren't to my way of thinking. I don't take the easy way out and YOU should think you have other things to say that are interesting and enjoyable. I do. So, you're so very sensitive and easily offended that you project it unto others......don't get mad at me because I noticed.

On the subject of who pays for dinner, theatre tickets etc, I am 77 and when I was young and single the rule of thumb was whoever issues the invitation is the host and therefore pays the bill. If I asked a boy to accompany me to a dance then I paid the admission. Not very often because I was a poor student on a scholarship. Today it is much more common to split the bill.

Gender stereotyping,
We all have filters that affect the way we perceive our life.

I’m a girlie girl yet have many characteristics considered masculine by others; woodworking, tree cutting, wood chopping etc.

Why do we consider judging others as bad?
It’s a survival instinct to judge others. The guy behind you at the grocery store might follow you home so it’s not all bad to judge. It’s seems that some of it is common sense.

Gender stereotyping?
Yes we do gender stereotype but we have been conditioned to gender stereotype for centuries.
We are so conditioned from the day we are born that we don’t really notice the subtitle ways we are conditioned to fit in and follow the latest trend.

Men shouldn’t be discouraged from feeling and showing emotions deeply and women shouldn’t be discouraged for embracing our physical strength from within , yet we are.

Gender stereotyping is just another form of labelling and you either accept it or you don’t. Those that see beyond this pretentiousness realize that the skies the limit. Ultimately, how we view ourself is what matters most.

Last edited:
Don't invite me to use the ignore button. I'm not a snowflake who must be shielded from things that aren't to my way of thinking. I don't take the easy way out and YOU should think you have other things to say that are interesting and enjoyable. I do. So, you're so very sensitive and easily offended that you project it unto others......don't get mad at me because I noticed.
I'm not sensitive; just annoyed. I hate whining and it has become a national pass-time.

Gender stereotyping,
We all have filters that affect the way we perceive our life.

I’m a girlie girl yet have many characteristics considered masculine by others; woodworking, tree cutting, wood chopping etc.

Why do we consider judging others as bad?
It’s a survival instinct to judge others. The guy behind you at the grocery store might follow you home so it’s not all bad to judge. It’s seems that some of it is common sense.

Gender stereotyping?
Yes we do gender stereotype but we have been conditioned to gender stereotype for centuries.
We are so conditioned from the day we are born that we don’t really notice the subtitle ways we are conditioned to fit in and follow the latest trend.

Men shouldn’t be discouraged from feeling and showing emotions deeply and women shouldn’t be discouraged for embracing our physical strength from within , yet we are.

Gender stereotyping is just another form of labelling and you either accept it or you don’t. Those that see beyond this pretentiousness realize that the skies the limit. Ultimately, how we view ourself is what matters most.
Git it, girl. (y)

Like it or not, your outward appearance says a lot about you, so we are right to judge people by how they look.
I completely agree. Looks are everything: fashion, cars, houses...every single thing we see. A person has a right to dress any way they want and others have the right to be critical and/or make judgements. It's called freedom and it works both ways.

I'm not sensitive; just annoyed. I hate whining and it has become a national pass-time.
I think masses of people are objecting now to certain aspects of their lives and we are used to them being quiet and accepting their complaints and burdens; keeping that inner boil to themselves and now they are not. Facebook has given some folks the impression that we are all *stars* and that we all, individually, have the right, equal to anybody, to be heard; that ignorant or intelligent is the same if one side can shout the loudest. It started when we were kids, I think. It started with "I have a Dream" and "Hell No, I Won't Go." Now, yes, you're right, it has snowballed into an avalanche. I don't know if this is good or not; I don't know how far it will go or where it will take us.

Sad to say, reinforcement also comes from unexpected places. For instance the Superbowl halftime performances by Shakira and J-Lo.

These women are powerful in the entertainment field and have been around for a long time. Shakira is 42 and J-Lo 50. Not kids, by any means. Yes they were singing, but the focus was on dancing that was little more than gyrations. To say they were scantily clad would be an understatement. (Congratulations, you spend every spare moment in the gym or dance class.)

By treating themselves as sex objects, what messages are they sending to girls AND boys of future generations? Could they possibly do a better job of encouraging along future Harvey Weinsteins and setting up young girls to hate their own bodies?

If I ever hear J-Lo or Shakira moan about sexism or not being taken seriously, I'll be laughing my head off.

I am far from a prude, ditto my husband, daughter & SIL, with whom I watched the SB last night. Also my 5 year old granddaughter and 7 year old grandson, both watching wide-eyed. We adults were deeply dismayed and outraged by the overt messages sent by the performances.
I couldn’t agree with you more starsong.
What type of message are we sending our younger generation when well known, well respected celebrities are proudly shaking their rear ends at the biggest sports event of the year?

When talk around the coffee pot at work is how proud J.Lo must have been to have her 11 year old daughter join her in this provocative half time event.

What? I’m far from being a prude but there was something VERY wrong in the message being sent.

Yes the pole dancing was impressive, especially considering their age but they are still glorifying the fact that they are treating themselves as sex objects.

Was it an attempt to get Latin Americans in the spotlight or merely just to show off ?
It was shocking to me.

Back