Good News: McDonald's Just introduced its first-ever Vegan burger.

This is all a bit too one-sided. If food outlets are expected to cater for vegans / vegetarians, why don't vegan / vegetarian outlets cater for meat eaters, pescetarians etc..?
It's not a matter of catering. These places are going to sell what gets bought. 20 years ago most grocery stores had little in the way of vegetarian/vegan substitutes. They are very common now because they sell.

I was watching a YouTube channel I check in from time to time, a woman who lives in her RV. She was cooking dinner, she's vegan. Someone had to comment how "vegans always talk about being vegan." However had she been cooking meat, it would have been considered completely normal and that poster would have not made a rather negative comment. It shouldn't bother anyone anyway.

I don't think McDonalds fries are vegan even.

I haven't tried the impossible burger or the ones that are made to resemble actual meat. I used to like the Fantastic Foods grain burger mix but they discontinued it. I could get 6 burgers out of that box.

Then I found some premade patties at Winco Foods. $5.99 for 4 patties but they were good. But they discontinued them along with their firm tofu also from Canada. When I asked the nice man working there about the tofu he said they discontinued that distributer and I was the second one who had asked him that day. :(

I've tried making my own grain patties but they were pretty lousy.

I haven't tried the impossible burger or the ones that are made to resemble actual meat. I used to like the Fantastic Foods grain burger mix but they discontinued it. I could get 6 burgers out of that box.

Then I found some premade patties at Winco Foods. $5.99 for 4 patties but they were good. But they discontinued them along with their firm tofu also from Canada. When I asked the nice man working there about the tofu he said they discontinued that distributer and I was the second one who had asked him that day. :(

I buy firm organic tofu at Costco. I rarely eat burgers anymore - just lost the taste for them. That said, Beyond and Impossible both taste a lot like beef. Close enough, anyway.

I know I'm in the minority, but to me, that thing they put on your bun can be vegan, or it can be burger, but it can't be both. Kinda like calling something with a cauliflower crust a pizza. No it isn't!

I know I'm in the minority, but to me, that thing they put on your bun can be vegan, or it can be burger, but it can't be both. Kinda like calling something with a cauliflower crust a pizza. No it isn't!
Here's my take on it:

The terms pizza, burger, taco, lasagna and others have evolved into food genres rather than specific sets of ingredients. They describe delivery systems rather than particular components.

Italy's pizza bears little resemblance to the excessive cheese, meat and ingredient heavy "pizzas" sold in this country anyway. Cauliflower crust is truly the least of the insults.

Mexican tacos almost never have cheese, lettuce or tomatoes, unlike US versions. American tacos merely mean a folded tortilla with almost anything therein. (I happen to love potato tacos.)

You wouldn't want to hear my Italian grandmother's take on modern bastardizations of classic lasagna. :eek: ;)

Likewise, "burger" refers to any kind of meat or meat like patty in a bun. "Hamburgers" specifically indicate ground beef burgers.

when Companies market these plant based meals, they claim, directly or indirectly, that they taste like meat. But nobody ever says, “ Buy the meat. It tastes just like broccoli.” 😂😂😂

I'm a vegan. I like the taste of both meat and broccoli. I don't miss the taste of broccoli. But I do miss the taste of meat. :) I'm not sure if there is a carnivore-only type of person.

I eat a somewhat restrictive vegan diet for health reasons. Hardly any added oils, sugar or fat and very few processed foods. Salt I keep below what has been recommended to my by a dietician, but it's not zero. When someone asks do I miss meat or can't you eat a little fish without problem, I'll tell them it's just easier for me to do what I do the way I do it. I'm fortunate that I really like the food I eat and I can cook.
I don't expect it to taste like meat. What I do expect it to do is taste good. So far the people who I've shared food with like it.
The way I explain it is if you imagine you're in a foreign country and your normal foodstuffs aren't available, so you improvise and substitute.

I did have to the opportunity to try Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger this summer. We tried both prepared at home and personally I wouldn't buy Beyond Burger again. Impossible Burger was really good and I have to say I liked it more than what I remember hamburger tasting like--which is over 5 years ago. I think I liked it because it comes seasoned and it was something different.
The week after we tried the Beyond Burger and neither of us thought as highly of it, though I wouldn't tell someone not to try it as everybody has different tastes.

I should also mention I absolutely love broccoli and less not forget America's most despised vegetable--BRUSSEL SPOUTS.:eek:

I eat a somewhat restrictive vegan diet for health reasons. Hardly any added oils, sugar or fat and very few processed foods. Salt I keep below what has been recommended to my by a dietician, but it's not zero. When someone asks do I miss meat or can't you eat a little fish without problem, I'll tell them it's just easier for me to do what I do the way I do it. I'm fortunate that I really like the food I eat and I can cook.
I don't expect it to taste like meat. What I do expect it to do is taste good. So far the people who I've shared food with like it.
The way I explain it is if you imagine you're in a foreign country and your normal foodstuffs aren't available, so you improvise and substitute.

I did have to the opportunity to try Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger this summer. We tried both prepared at home and personally I wouldn't buy Beyond Burger again. Impossible Burger was really good and I have to say I liked it more than what I remember hamburger tasting like--which is over 5 years ago. I think I liked it because it comes seasoned and it was something different.
The week after we tried the Beyond Burger and neither of us thought as highly of it, though I wouldn't tell someone not to try it as everybody has different tastes.

I should also mention I absolutely love broccoli and less not forget America's most despised vegetable--BRUSSEL SPOUTS.:eek:

I buy firm organic tofu at Costco. I rarely eat burgers anymore - just lost the taste for them. That said, Beyond and Impossible both taste a lot like beef. Close enough, anyway.
I know some people probably want the substitutes that are closer to meat. I don't. I like the grain based patties. Perhaps one of these days I'll figure out how to make them. I do like the breaded chick'n products. I do eat tofu sandwiches.

when Companies market these plant based meals, they claim, directly or indirectly, that they taste like meat. But nobody ever says, “ Buy the meat. It tastes just like broccoli.” 😂😂😂
They may be trying to cater to those who are reducing or cutting out meat for health reasons. That's not why I went plant based so I like grain based burgers. I assume other's aren't going for the more realistic substitutes either. I do use TVP which is a kind of meat sub. Plus it's cheap. Just needs seasoning.

Remy,
I was unfamiliar with the Fantastic Foods product. How did you use it when it was available?

Did you use the product's list of ingredients as a starting point to make your own?

From the ingredient list it sounds like something I may have had as a "meat ball" in a vegetarian restaurant back in the '70's. You've piqued my curiosity and I may try seeing what I come up with.

Fantastic Foods was known for its dry Falafel mix. We were in the health & diet food manufacturing business for years. They also use soy as an ingredient in products like their taco mix. We used whole food soy products a lot until they got bushwhacked by the media.

@Oris Borloff and @StarSong Unfortunately the Fantastic Foods burger mix is discontinued from what I know. It was something you mixed with hot water.

Amazon.com : Fantastic World Foods Nature's Burger, 8.3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12) : Vegetarian Meat Substitutes : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Here is a link to Amazon and the ingredients are listed down the page. Though it states currently unavailable. :(
Thanks for the link. I was asking if you made burgers with it or used it in other ways.

Since I've never had the specific I won't know if anything I came up with would be close to what you enjoyed. If in my travels I run across someone having a claim to a copycat recipe I'll post it for you to look at.

Back