Grandkids - No more Xmas Gifts

Jackie Blue

OK here's my dealio….I always send $50 to each of my 3 grandkids and their parents. It's the only family I have left and they live in Ohio (I live in Texas). They are 24, 22,20 years old. They never say thank you or acknowledge the gift. In fact it has been 6 years since I have seen them since I can't travel to their house because of my dementia mother.
This year I want to discontinue the practice and use that money to buy small gifts for my Alzheimer mom's care givers staff at her facility (12 folks). Question - should I let the family know my plan or just send a Xmas card with no money and let them figure it out?

OK here's my dealio….I always send $50 to each of my 3 grandkids and their parents. It's the only family I have left and they live in Ohio (I live in Texas). They are 24, 22,20 years old. They never say thank you or acknowledge the gift. In fact it has been 6 years since I have seen them since I can't travel to their house because of my dementia mother.
This year I want to discontinue the practice and use that money to buy small gifts for my Alzheimer mom's care givers staff at her facility (12 folks). Question - should I let the family know my plan or just send a Xmas card with no money and let them figure it out?
Let them figure it out!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Christmas gift shopping used to be a hassle, for us, with everyone buying gifts for everyone else. Now, we just draw a name when we all get together at Thanksgiving, and buy one gift for one adult with a limit of $25. That works out quite well, and the only real shopping for us, now, is the gifts for the little great grandkids....toys, mostly.

i send to my gran kids in their teens' always get a thank u with kisses txt even though we dont see each other much '
I dont blame you one bit for the stoppage as I would have long ago ' as you said give to people who really appreciate it
and then just maybe your gran kids will have a think why ' and if they do ask' tell them the true reason - merry xmas .

I sent a $500 "Welcome to the World" check to my old buddy's new grandson, who was given my (sort of) rare name. No "Thank you!" from my old buddy or her son or dil! I've given up on expecting good manners, anymore. I don't put myself in a situation to expect any thanks, because I no longer give anything to anyone except my immediate family. If I don't get thanked, my giving list gets shorter.

(Yes, I did, indeed, call the son to make sure the check was received. He said his wife was working on the "Thank-you" note list. The kid is now four years old! Must be one helluva list! FWIW, the son has my middle name as his first name, because his mom always liked my middle name. My daughter has my buddy's middle name as her middle name, because I really liked it. As seen, here, this gal and I were very good friends. We've known each other for over sixty years! She simply sucks at common courtesy. I guess it runs in her family!)

Last edited:
I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion.

First of all, I don't give gifts because of who the recipient is, but rather because of who I am. If folks don't send thank you notes, it doesn't bother me a bit. Nobody receives $50 without feeling good about it, which would be thanks enough for me because, after all, that's why I'd be sending it.

When my time in this life is done I want my grandkids to think of me fondly - to know that I always remembered them, even at times in their lives when they forgot to remember me. I want them to know that love and generosity aren't always conditional. Just as there were some folks in my earlier years who I didn't properly acknowledge at the time that they offered kindnesses to me, I know my grands aren't always going to "properly" appreciate me.

Here's a thought... If you haven't seen your grands in six years - since they were in their teens - isn't it time you made some arrangements for your mom and hauled yourself to Ohio for a visit? (If you wound up in the hospital for an injury or illness you'd have to make arrangements for her, so it's not impossible to do so.) Be more to them than a check every Christmas and perhaps they'll be more to you than an endorsement on the back of a check.

What I read between the lines of your posts is love, hurt and anger. My family has had a saying for a long time. 90% of life is just showing up. If you want to resolve that unfulfilled love, put a balm on the hurt, and soothe the anger, get thee to Ohio and show your grandkids that they're worth more of an effort to you than a $50 check at Christmas. Re-engage and meet them where they are. Text them, email them, whatever.

p.s. This isn't intended to be harsh or judgmental. I'm just trying to point out that your grands likely see this from an entirely different perspective. You have time to fix it. Ultimately, unless I miss my guess, what you want is a relationship with these kids.

Last edited:
I think I'd send a card with a note stating that you've used the money that you usually send to provide gifts for your mother's caregivers, wish them all a happy Christmas, and let it go at that.

And here's a hot tip for you from someone who spent the last 10 years of my working life as a cleaning fairy. I was very, very grateful for tips. My clients were generous, usually giving me a week's pay as a gift at Christmastime. It's the customary amount for those in a personal service capacity. If you can, they'll be thrilled, trust me.

Christmas gift shopping used to be a hassle, for us, with everyone buying gifts for everyone else. Now, we just draw a name when we all get together at Thanksgiving, and buy one gift for one adult with a limit of $25. That works out quite well, and the only real shopping for us, now, is the gifts for the little great grandkids....toys, mostly.
We're on the same wavelength on this one, Don. We make a game out of the gift exchange but the rest is the same - -everyone buys one present. On a side note, we almost had to - -we have 13 grandkids and will have 9 grands come next May and except for one (lives on West coast) they'll all be with us on Dec.29th, our "Christmas" celebration.

Back