Grey, greyish, white, whitish or colour ?

Treacle

Since the lock down I have not bothered to colour my hair. I don't go to the hairdressers but my o/h helps with those non permanent colouring applications. It's worked ok for many a year. But now I'm wondering whether I should let nature takes it course. My sister is reluctant to do that for herself because she says that when the grey hair comes through at the roots she looks like a skunk. I love her to bits and it wouldn't bother me what she did with her hair, might draw the line if she did smell like a skunk.:eek: However, I digress. Anyone else thinking of going Au naturel .:unsure:

I had all the scraggy, longish, blonde/gray lopped off to a neat bob with bangs earlier this year. I sort of like the color of my hair. It is light gray with some white.

My state re opened hair salons not long ago, so I got in for another cut after about 12-13 weeks.

I am relieved not to look like I have mold going out of my head and the shorter cut is just right for me.

I went natural a few years ago because of the roots, but I'm lucky, the shade is platinum shiny white. I need a haircut, but I don't think my hairdresser is clean in normal times, so I bet he's worse now. During a FaceTime the other day, my son said I looked pretty! I almost fainted! He usually reminds me I'm falling apart--which I am.

My wife is looking forward to me dying my hair again. I definitely went through the skunk period and she started calling me Pepe Le Pew for a while. I'll be dying mine again shortly after she cuts my hair again, but I'll get a good picture first. I kind of like the way my very gray hair is looking but since I work in a field with a lot of young people I fit in better with my hair dyed black. Most people at work who don't know my age think I'm about 10 to 15 years younger than I am and were shocked when I said I was going to be a grandfather this March.

My wife is looking forward to me dying my hair again. I definitely went through the skunk period and she started calling me Pepe Le Pew for a while. I'll be dying mine again shortly after she cuts my hair again, but I'll get a good picture first. I kind of like the way my very gray hair is looking but since I work in a field with a lot of young people I fit in better with my hair dyed black. Most people at work who don't know my age think I'm about 10 to 15 years younger than I am and were shocked when I said I was going to be a grandfather this March.
The VP who hired me for my first civilian job after I retired from the Navy made it very clear that they did not want me to color my hair. They wanted a Senior Engineer/Lab Director who looked like he had some experience under his belt.

I was already thinking of not colouring my hair anymore so... I do need a cut desperately but I am still hesitate to go to the hairdresser.
Don't be hesitant. Your stylist should be wearing a perspex type mask, you should be separated from other clients, and you can wear your own mask throughout the procedure if you wish .. go and get it done you'll feel much better.. :D

I count my blessings, Treacle, that I've been able to hold onto my youthfulness (hair colour is still original), but if ever I do go grey I like to think I'm going to allow nature to take it's course. :)
Do you smoke/ have you smoked Aunt Marg? - only ask because of your 'Avitar' (I think that's what it's called, still learning) ? My younger sister swears there is something in her cigarettes, apart from nicotine, that stops the hair going grey but ,as I pointed out, it hasn't stopped the wrinkles!!!!! Only joking love her to bits.:love: Might it be arsenic in tailored made cigarettes? But just thought I would look this up to see if there was any truth in what she believes and up came an article from France which states that smokers could be better protected than others from the novel coronavirus because nicotine blocks its docking sites. :unsure: Not what I was looking for and is a discussion on another post. But found out there is arsenic in cigarettes. :oops: I used to smoke roll ups, liquorice papers and filter tips but gave up a long time ago. šŸ¤„ well I might have the odd one a few times a year when the old stress button is pressed. šŸ˜¢. Actually my other sister smokes and she has the 'skunk' look (bless) so that theory doesn't hold water.šŸ˜•

I started going gray in my early 20s. I colored my hair for years, but I finally went natural about 8 years ago. My hair is a shiny silver color, and I get a lot of compliments.

The only drawback was that my husband did not have even one gray hair on his head. When he passed at age 75, he had a full head of dark brown hair. So after I went natural, I felt like a "little old lady" next to him. Once, the grandchild of one of hid work associates (a little boy about 4 years old) pointed to me and asked,"Is that your mother".

He NEVER let me live that down!

Since the lock down I have not bothered to colour my hair. I don't go to the hairdressers but my o/h helps with those non permanent colouring applications. It's worked ok for many a year. But now I'm wondering whether I should let nature takes it course. My sister is reluctant to do that for herself because she says that when the grey hair comes through at the roots she looks like a skunk. I love her to bits and it wouldn't bother me what she did with her hair, might draw the line if she did smell like a skunk.:eek: However, I digress. Anyone else thinking of going Au naturel .:unsure:
I am all natural. I started growing in my grays 5 years ago. Before that I hennaed it. The transitional was difficult . I hated that silver skunk line but I persisted and am glad I did. Itā€™s liberating knowing I can be myself. I know longer have to feel like Iā€™m fooling the world and my natural colour suites me. I highly suggest growing in your natural colour and donā€™t worry about what others have to say.

21CE5C0F-C694-49AA-A436-4D8D4CE1397E.jpeg

The VP who hired me for my first civilian job after I retired from the Navy made it very clear that they did not want me to color my hair. They wanted a Senior Engineer/Lab Director who looked like he had some experience under his belt.

That makes sense to me for a leadership position, however my position is individual contributor even though other people consult me. It definitely could be filled by someone much younger than me with less experience, so looking older isn't an advantage for me.

I stopped coloring my hair one summer when we were out on the road for five months. I wore a hat most of the time and the rest of the time I figured "what the heck.....I'm never going to see these people again!"

When the roots got about 2-2 1/2 inches long, I went into a salon and said "cut off anything that doesn't match."

Now, I'm pretty evenly-disbursed black and silver and I like it. I have developed one silver streak and I like that, too.

Do you smoke/ have you smoked Aunt Marg? - only ask because of your 'Avitar' (I think that's what it's called, still learning) ? My younger sister swears there is something in her cigarettes, apart from nicotine, that stops the hair going grey but ,as I pointed out, it hasn't stopped the wrinkles!!!!! Only joking love her to bits.:love: Might it be arsenic in tailored made cigarettes? But just thought I would look this up to see if there was any truth in what she believes and up came an article from France which states that smokers could be better protected than others from the novel coronavirus because nicotine blocks its docking sites. :unsure: Not what I was looking for and is a discussion on another post. But found out there is arsenic in cigarettes. :oops: I used to smoke roll ups, liquorice papers and filter tips but gave up a long time ago. šŸ¤„ well I might have the odd one a few times a year when the old stress button is pressed. šŸ˜¢. Actually my other sister smokes and she has the 'skunk' look (bless) so that theory doesn't hold water.šŸ˜•
I do smoke, Treacle, but just 2-3 cigarettes per day, not that I'm attempting to lesson the ill-health effects of smoking, just that I'm grateful for not having a pack-a-day habit.

Surprisingly enough, not much in the way of wrinkles, and dear husband is the same, but we both have super oily skin, particularly our complexions, which I understand helps keep skin subtle, helping keep away wrinkles longer.

My mom used to fall back on home-rolled cigarettes when money was tight.

ROFLMAO about the skunk look! I've seen just that look a few times in my day! :)

I bought a set of barber clippers & a 2 inch comb guide & took care of my own just the other day. I did some tapering on the sides & back. Not sure I will keep it that way. Might just stick to the 2 inches all over. Some more of my gray is peeping out between hairs now that it's closer to the root. I don't color mine. Haven't for years. If it gets too spotty & looks weird I might for a bit till it settles down. I'm thinking a lighter color but not sure yet.

My hair started graying when I was in my 40's. It's more of a silver than dull gray. I use "purple" shampoo to enhance the silver and am quite happy with the results. I've been told that highlighting or coloring in my case would be a rather involved two step process so I don't want to bother.

Back