Grocery Chain Replacing Name Brands With Their Brands

There has been an enormous change in our eating habits, due to the shut down for Covid 19. We're eating at home a lot more. It could be the large national brands are overwhelmed in getting their product onto empty shelves. For instance, my store keeps running out of Heinz ketchup. They have their own brand still on the shelf. It just maybe that the stores need to put something on the shelf, and those no name makers can temporarily increase their products a lot faster than a huge mega corporation?

Went to wal-marts: lots of empty shelves space, especially national brand soda pop
and other items that have been mentioned.

Didn't notice any shortage in dry goods-clothing...

Watching those thousands (millions?) of cargo containers from China makes me uneasy.
Appears we are totally dependent on China for just about everything-This should not be, our thirst for money has got us in trouble.

My husband drove an over the road truck and I traveled with him. We would go to a known manufacturer and pick up loads for grocery stores that had their name on the products. I am not sure how it works since some of the store brands just aren't as good as the known brand. For instance I prefer Hellman's Mayonnaise and I have tried countless store brands and don't think they taste as good. Maybe it is in my head though because I know it is not the brand I like.
I've taken to transferring tomato ketchup across into a Heinz brand bottle, so someone I know will use it, and when it comes to mayonnaise, the fuss made it its not the right brand is just pathetic! :rolleyes: .

What was once a very good grocery chain here in Texas called HEB is slowly removing name brands and replacing them with their own brands. So the result is lesser choice. I wanted my brand of ice cream and only aw three different brands other than their HEB which i bought to see if it was good or bad and it was bad. I went to the soups and the number of Campbells soups is almost nil and replaced by their brand. I tried tow of their bands of soup about a year ago and threw them both out. Then I went to look for Kraft Dinner and gain their brand is everywhere and Kraft is on the bottom shelf in very few quantities. All box pasta dishes I ever tried that were store brands were very cheap pasta and tasteless sauces Thankfully I live near a couple Kroger. So no more HEB. Their approach is sacrifice choice in the name of increased profits. Sound familiar?
Family on the east coast mentioned HEB a few years ago, but it wasn't there when I was there and I've never been in one.
The grocery store I usually go to is regional, called Hy-Vee. Their store-brand products are usually good. They also have many products from a brand called That's Smart, most products are o.k. but I'm not really sure where the brand comes from.

Back