Growing older: What age is considered elderly?

"Who is considered old?

As Diamond mentions in his talk, the perceived value of the elderly is an important factor in determining whether seniors are respected or not. And this may be a function of who is considered old. In the United States a senior citizen is defined as someone who is 65+. But in other parts of the world, like New Guinea, anyone 50 or over is considered lapun, or an old man. As Diamond points out in his book, The World Until Yesterday, this difference has wide implications, as the two age groups tend to have a different set of physical and mental abilities.

The United Nations recently turned its attention to developing policy to support aging populations around the world — and their line for elderly begins at 60. In fact, the UN has started celebrating the International Day of Older Persons in October, which acknowledges the contributions to society made by those over the 60-line."

What it’s like to grow old, in different parts of the world

My first thought was 60.

Had a person at the bank call me elderly. I'm 61.

https://elizz.com/wellness/what-age-is-considered-elderly/
cheeky beggars...you're not elderly at 61...that's the same age as my o/h... and he's certainly not elderly..

Would you describe Toby Keith,
Enya
Boy George
Alison Moyet
Bono
Michael Stype
Simon Cowell
Kevin Spacey
Val kilmer..
Marie Osmond
or Bryan Adams.. as elderly ?... nobody would unless they were 15 years old .... ,. :D

Last edited:
Maybe because I have white hair, I am considered older!

Yesterday for the first time, a cashier in a supermarket just
looked at me and told the machine that I was old enough
to buy the bottle of booze that stopped the proceedings!

Normally they ask and even some want proof.

So maybe I am elderly.

Mike.

I was told I was old when I was 45.... a bunch of young teens were trying to climb all over our Camper van.. and I chased them off.. and they taunted me saying '' you won't catch us old woman''... it's all relative as to the age of the person whose saying it...

That said..it always makes me laugh when I hear that pregnant women over 35 in hospitals are referred to as geriatric mums... :ROFLMAO:...altho' now they're changing it to....''advanced maternal age'' ( like that sounds any better)...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Adult is a general name for something that is mature, where it be human,
another animal, or even a tree.

Young means a newer version of the above I believe.

I hear and often read about "Young Adult", the genre of a book, or a person,
I always thought that "Adolescent" was the word for that area, that makes
"Young Adult", an Oxymoron!

Mike.

Although people age very differently both physiologically and in external appearance, they seem to go by your chronologic age on paper at the doctor’s office. Approach age 50, and you’ll be pushed for a colonoscopy. A little older, and they’ll want a copy of your living will as if you’re at death’s door. Now the doc is telling me to be active; “be a rolling stone,“ he said. That’s fine with me; I’ll tour with Mick Jagger and his mates if he‘ll have me... 🎸🥁🎤

Just this morning, I overheard my 80 something neighbour chatting with the window cleaner..

She's got some health problems, but she lives alone doesn't drive any more but gets around well with the aid of friends who take her shopping and to clubs a couple of times a week..

She was bemoaning the fact that she's finding it a bit of a stretch to lift her leg high enough to get into the back door, and she said ''Jack, don't ever get old ''.. and jack replied.. ''Oh I know what you mean, I'm already 42, and I've got grey hair and my shoulder hurts all the time''

:ROFLMAO:

Had a next door guy tell me I should not put my garden more then 25 feet from my house because I can't walk that far because of old age. This guy is 26 years old.
What creeps me out is that everyone wants to hold my arm...I am not an invalid just because I am in my eighties! But, on that same vein, if I know something is going to be heavy with sore arms later, I tell them to 'fill their boots' and take it and carry it.

Maybe because I have white hair, I am considered older!

Yesterday for the first time, a cashier in a supermarket just
looked at me and told the machine that I was old enough
to buy the bottle of booze that stopped the proceedings!

Normally they ask and even some want proof.

So maybe I am elderly.

Mike.
I have confused people for a long time as my hair, which is naturally pitch black, started turning grey in my early twenties. (a genetic thing) Hopping along to my 50s, I said the heck with it and started to let it go. From keeping it up colour wise all those years, the mixture of colours streaking through was something to behold! One woman asked me where I had my hair done. Now, I am totally snow white as my two daughters would be as well. Some people find it hard to let nature take its course.

Had a person at the bank call me elderly. I'm 61.
Just a child

You weren't even in elementary school when I was a senior in high school

Growing older: What age is considered elderly?​

I consider the 80s as elderly
a bit slower
wiser (elderly tend to be wiser)

Actually, it's not a certain age with me
It's ability

Now, on paper?
S'pose the age of 60 looks old (elderly) in black and white

Heh, I'm 72
Last summer a young punk (early 20s) snooping around the neighborhood
Asked if I could help him
He called me out
'Whut ya gonna do, ol' man?'
A possible throw down
I took his challenge
'Come a little closer.....boy'

ol me.jpg

What a wuss

Haven't seen his skanky narrow hind end around since

I don't think anyone even enjoys being called a Senior,
or calls themselves one,
unless it comes with that phrase..... Senior Discount! ;)

The only significant senior age bracket, is for those of us who don't have adequate medical coverage of some other type,
then reaching the age when we are, in the USA,
eligible to pay in, to have Medicare, is important and very helpful.

Numerous articles consider 65 as elderly in the US.
They tie it in with Social Security, and health issues becoming more common.

I'm 78 this summer, and enjoying life.
People can call me elderly ..so what ... it doesn't change my outlook.

Last edited:

What age is considered elderly?

Shock! Horror!

This forum appears to be inhabited by extra mature people, and me a sprightly, fresh faced 83 year old, I thought I was among young 'uns like me. :)

Back