Habits........

but not stepping on cracks,
tenor.gif

I need to add a habit here, because I have to keep reminding myself that it IS a habit.

It's eating indiscriminately and thoughtlessly. Eating when I'm not hungry, or overeating when I'm already full, or eating just because it's yummy or because I don't want to waste food or any of the other reasons I've found myself stuffing food into my mouth other than for sustenance and health.

Don't get me wrong, I love enjoying what I eat, and eating is a fun and enjoyable thing to do (I really am SUCH foodie!!!) but it's taken me a long time to realize that there are all kinds of reasons that I eat that have nothing to do with A. sustaining my health and B. having a binge meal as a reward for having eaten responsibly.

It's habitual to eat when others are eating, to eat at regular mealtimes because the clock says it's time for breakfast/lunch/dinner etc, to eat when a host offers you food, to eat mindlessly just sort of snacking through the day...at least it is for me.

As part of my commitment to sustaining my health and keeping a healthy weight, I've had to recognize all the ways in which eating is an habitual ritual, and to become a mindful, thoughtful consumer of food. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be!!! But I'm winning the battle! ;)

Ditto...Still working on it!! Only smoked 2 packs this year!! I have smoked for 60 years!! Used to enjoy it but no more tobacco in them!!!
If I could be happy with a pack a month I would still be smoking!

I would go with the 80/20 rule, the stuff you do 80% of the time will kill you and the stuff you do 20% of the time will make life enjoyable.

(Moving this here, as I originally put it in the wrong thread!)

Quitting smoking after 37 years. That was a tough one.

I actually carried a sealed carton and one pack around for ... at least a year(?) ... because I figured that, if I flipped out somewhere along the way, I'd blame my husband and demand that he go out instantly and get me more no matter the time of day. <wince>

Then came the day I could toss them. That was eleven years ago.

Back