Happy Australia Day Aussies - 26th January!

australia-day.jpg

Like Columbus Day, there are mixed feelings about Australia Day because of the date that commemorates the landing of the first fleet at Port Jackson in 1788. (AKA as Sydney Harbour). Australia did not exist at the time and did not come into existence until 1901.

All that is necessary to resolve the Australia Day/Invasion Day tensions would be to change the date. It isn't as though it hasn't been changed before but there is an underlying and unresolved culture war going on over here and the government is sticking fast to the current date.

Proof that changing the date is really no big deal

Like Columbus Day, there are mixed feelings about Australia Day because of the date that commemorates the landing of the first fleet at Port Jackson in 1788. (AKA as Sydney Harbour). Australia did not exist at the time and did not come into existence until 1901.

All that is necessary to resolve the Australia Day/Invasion Day tensions would be to change the date. It isn't as though it hasn't been changed before but there is an underlying and unresolved culture war going on over here and the government is sticking fast to the current date.

Proof that changing the date is really no big deal

Yes, I have the same opinion.

@Dana , I must admit I never knew about Australia Day. I loved all the posts and music as well. so very interesting. How do you celebrate with fireworks or picnics?
Hi Ruth n jersey, we celebrate usually with fireworks, picnics, street parades, beach parties and bar-b-ques. On that day too new migrants from other countries are sworn in as Australian citizens. A lot happens. Of course this year celebrations were curtailed a little because of Covid, but nevertheless still lots of fun. Thanks for asking :)

Back