Has Everyone Become Helpless? (Rant)

OldGoat

I have noticed recently while going thru different social media that it seems that everyone is helpless. I continually see posts asking how to do very simple items around the house or dealing with a car. While I recognize that not everyone is mechanically inclined how hard is it to google it? I mean are people so lazy that they will ask a bunch of people online, who don’t know either, or just look at the internet to discover someone who can.
I spent my early years in the Navy and could not afford repair people to come and fix stuff, I had to learn it. Friends would get together to figure items out and help. I really hope there is a small percentage of our young people who understand that being part of the trades is a very respectable living or we are doomed.

In the old days, you consulted a repair manual, if you had one, or just winged it, breaking parts or wrecking things as you went along. Yeah, you can google it but sometimes you don’t even know exactly what to search for. For example, my 08 Toyota suddenly went to 1st gear. Searching around in forums revealed that this was the neutral safety switch.

But yeah, some of the questions asked can be on the ridiculous level.

Last edited:
I have noticed recently while going thru different social media that it seems that everyone is helpless. I continually see posts asking how to do very simple items around the house or dealing with a car. While I recognize that not everyone is mechanically inclined how hard is it to google it? I mean are people so lazy that they will ask a bunch of people online, who don’t know either, or just look at the internet to discover someone who can.
I spent my early years in the Navy and could not afford repair people to come and fix stuff, I had to learn it. Friends would get together to figure items out and help. I really hope there is a small percentage of our young people who understand that being part of the trades is a very respectable living or we are doomed.

I agree and I've seen the phenomenon myself. The latest example was a recent, short power outage and one of my neighbors needed help to open a can of soup. Without electricity his can opener didn't work. I happened to have a pocket knife on me with a can opener on it. He was amazed. I suggested that he invest in a manual can opener, because to be quite candid, I don't think he could manage to use any pocket knife functions without injuring himself. He probably doesn't have any first aid items at home either. Good thing the power wasn't out any longer than it was.

I understand what you're saying, OldGoat. I think the entertainment and "social" aspects of the internet have captivated many, but not all, young people away from acquiring practical understanding & skills.

I know that for a while our local secondary/high schools were including some mandatory practical instruction in things like repairing a hole or scrape in drywall, fixing a leaky faucet, etc. It was a way of inculcating a feeling of "can do" for those students (girls included) who might not be getting much instruction of that type at home. I don't know if this has continued.

A professional financial advisror in our area mentioned to me the other day that during the Covid period some people employed in restaurants and such couldn't deal with the lapse in employment, and were retraining in fields like electrician. I was told even some healthcare-assisting employees in the hospitals, worn down by the crowded conditions & long shifts, had gone this route. The trades have come back into respectability around my region, and a lot of people have come to envy the stability of skilled-trade employment.

Last edited:
I can only laugh. That seemed to be half of my job for decades, playing "answer man." For several years my job description was altered to require "providing consultation services" to internal staff and management.

I quickly came to realize it was about the ability to read and extract information and procedures from written documentation. Until we had CD-ROM documents I always had a shelf of manuals as long as an encyclopedia and a 6 foot high stack of computer printouts. It was just the nature of the job.

Goddess me, it's so strange... I find myself doing more and more research for people online. That's one reason I gave up on something called Neighbours site.

Just a few keystrokes and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt...

Three sites are my best go-to to find answers.

Wikipedia
E-How
YouTube for every DIY (mind you some are bad, but some are amazing, just watch)

Medical, it's WebMD, then NHS Scotland, England or Wales
I'm always looking for natural remedies, then no need to visit the surgery. Doctors are available, unfortunately, the receptionists are the ones saying no availability... Yup, hard facts, so you've got to research for alternatives, BUT providing you know what ails you, of course...

In charity shop called Ardgowan Hospice, I found a second hand book by Tommy Walsh who used to be with Charlie and Allen Tishmarch on that garden makeover.

I took it, it's jammed pack with good DIY...

Well, regardless, if you need help, just howler! If I can find it I will, and as long as it's safe...

PS : oh by the way, I don't Google, I edge my way around with MS Edge browser 🤣🤣🤣 just a wee fact...

Last edited:
To some extent I think it is more of an attempt at receiving sympathy & attention more so than an answer. They know they can google it. They're not stupid. They are lazy, though. Most of them have Alexa and whoever else on their phone. They can voice their question and have that search the internet so there's really no excuse for being that helpless. The only other possibility is they really are that stupid.

In my early twenties I transitioned away from small-town life to living in the countryside. I already knew a very few things about carpentry and both car engines & small engines. But I learned from skilled rural people I lived around, and I bought books or borrowed from the library to learn about plumbing, electrical wiring, all sorts of things. And there was a lot of plain trial & error.

I got work as an assistant carpenter, mason, and concrete worker. In a much later phase, I wanted to learn to weld. I got a tiny bit of instruction from a skilled but very busy friend. I turned to Youtube to learn lots more. So obviously that can be a help. Society may have become structured & automated to coddle the individual to feel he should aspire to 'just sit around '. But I didn't feel myself to be helpless, plus I was motivated.

Respectfully, I would trust people I've come to know here, or on other social media as opposed to Google who just wants to take my money. Maybe other "helpless" people feel the same? Maybe technology is creating a generation of ignorant helpless people? :unsure:

In the old days, you consulted a repair manual, if you had one, or just winged it, breaking parts or wrecking things as you went along. Yeah, you can google it but sometimes you don’t even know exactly what to search for. For example, my 08 Toyota suddenly went to 1st gear. Searching around in forums revealed that this was the neutral safety switch.

But yeah, some of the questions asked can be on the ridiculous level.
My father would go to the public library and take out Chilton's manuals to fix his used cars. He was able to troubleshoot some hard to diagnose problems like gas line vapor lock which was causing the car to stall out and he then insulated the gas line where it was close to a hot part of the engine. That solved it.

It is my view that, in many cases, it boils down to choices. Some people have an aptitude for mechanical things, and are good at what they do, while for others, there skillset lies somewhere else, and they don't want to go through the learning curve it requires to accomplish what needs being done in a professional way.

Sure you can Google how to use a chainsaw, but having used one for a great many years, I wouldn't recommend it. Every situation is unique, and it takes a good deal of experience to avoid the dangers. It's often makes more sense to do what you're good at to make the money to pay someone else to do something you not good at.

.... and btw, not everyone who writes directions included with products should be doing so. Some have their head in their nether regions, and not everything on youtube is put there by people who are authorities. JMO

My husband did all the D-I-Y around here.. decorating to plumbing..electrics to car maintenance and computer technology ... I would be his ''joey''.. being there to hand everything, hold ladders steady.. prepare everything in advance for him that I knew he might need etc..

when he left with no warning whatsoever.. I was left not knowing how to repair those things.. ..I asked him how was I supposed to fix these things.. and he said sharply ''Learn''...

Well, as I told him, to learn something, first you need to have a teacher.. and so if that's a human, a book, or a video, you first need to be shown how ..

Anyway..I'll never be a plumber, decorator, ( altho' I have painted all the doors and woodwork since he's been gone) or electrician.. but in the 2 years he;s not been here I've learned a huge load more about my computer and my IPhone and their techi sides.. about my car ( I've always been able to do the basics anyway)... but my point is... I had to get taught to do it.. and i learned by using the internet, and asking people... and tbh..I think people genuinely like to be asked and feel flattered by it if someone thinks they are proficient at something..enough to want to pick their brains..

I 'm perfectly capable of searching the internet for instruction..but if I see that someone ..on this forum for example has made a good job out of a thing..then I won't be shy in asking them for instruction..

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. I think it needs to be considered from all viewpoints.
IMHO, there are many, many situations that call for 'just get the answer', but sometimes it pays to figure out why/how if you can.
Spoon-fed answers don't teach efficiently if at all. Teaching with context is fundamental to learning and requires effort. Take your pick. Be happy with your choice.

Today, there's a YouTube video for every kind of repair you want to make.

Which is a great thing for when you want to figure something out instead of hiring someone
This at least shows you the complexity of the job and you can decide whether you want tackle it yourself or hire someone.
Thats exactly right. There’s much more opportunities available. A lot more available tools too.
It also helps identifying your problem and educate yourself enough to be able to appreciate what a contractor has to do.
Thats right. It’s all good. 👍

.... and btw, not everyone who writes directions included with products should be doing so. Some have their head in their nether regions, and not everything on youtube is put there by people who are authorities. JMO
What gets me are the directions included with products that have absolutely no written text at all, just pictures. I am sort of a visual learner, but really??? I had to put together a metal bed frame that came in a thousand pieces (okay, maybe not a thousand) with just a few pictures and some arrows pointing here and there. Took me all friggin' day.

I don't have much self confidence to do things. I'll tend to self debricate and my mind shuts down. But some things if I need to, I can consult YouTube or other things online. The internet is very helpful.

I can do some crafty things. Years ago in the 80's, a co-worker asked me to fix the lining of her hat which I did. She couldn't hold a needle and thread. I like to hand sew.

Every time my stepfather's closed captions disappear off his TV, which he needs, I have to go out and put them back on. I have showed him and showed him and written it down and he can't get it. And I don't know why they stop sometimes.

Back