Have you ever been on a Cruise on a large Liner?

Bretrick

Where did you go?
I have only been on one. As an 18 year old in 1980 I went on the Fairstar out of Sydney to the Fijian Islands.
The ports of call being, The Capital, Suva, on the Island of Viti Levu. Savu Savu, on Vanua Levu Island.
Lautoka, Nadi, (pronounced Nandi), Port Vila, Island of Vanuatu, Noumea, on the French Island of Grand Terre.

It wasn't exactly a cruise, but we went to Hawaii early in the 40s on the Lurline. Hundreds of sailors and marines, and we were among a handful of dependents. At that time there certainly weren't any floor shows or other interesting things going on. No 24-hour buffets for sure. I don't remember the name of the ship when we returned stateside, probably another Matson line ship. Again, no floor shows or interesting things even though the war was over by then, and we were still fed powdered milk, powdered eggs, Spam, and other, um, tasty treats:sick:

Since I've been an adult? Nope:(

I've never been. From all I've see on them on the news and in advertisements, I have no desire to be on a huge ship that is overloaded with people. To me, that would be a nightmare, not enjoyable. I have considered taking a smaller cruise to Alaska, but that would be it. I don't like crowds, and a vacation to me is quiet and relaxing, maybe romantic and a bit adventurous. They seem to be like a noisy floating amusement park, not my style.

Yes. We've sailed on the larger ships, but recently we prefer the smaller ships with a higher level of service. 450-700 passengers. It is one of the best ways to see new destinations. We've been to Greece, Italy, Sicily, Croatia, England, The Netherlands, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Alaska, etc. We couldn't have afforded to visit all these countries otherwise. On the smaller ships, we've alway met interesting well-traveled people, some of whom we've kept in touch with over the years. One couple we met on our Asia cruise visited Dallas and we had dinner together.

Last edited:
Yes. We've sailed on the larger ships, but recently we prefer the smaller ships with a higher level of service. 450-700 passengers. It is one of the best ways to see new destinations. We've been to Greece, Italy, Sicily, Croatia, England, The Netherlands, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Alaska, etc. We couldn't have afforded to visit all these countries otherwise. On the smaller ships, we've alway met interesting well-traveled people, some of whom we've kept in touch with over the years. One couple we met our Asia cruise visited Dallas and we had dinner together.
That's fun when you can maintain friendships like that and they come to visit you!

In 2019 I went on what was supposed to be a family reunion cruise aboard Celebrity. Unfortunately it was planned on such short notice that 99.9% of our family members, spread across several states, couldn't make it. Despite that disappointment, I really enjoyed the cruise. We went to Bermuda and stayed there the entire time. The service, the dining, shows and activities were all wonderful aboard the ship. In fact, I enjoyed my time on the ship more than the sight seeing. It was hot (July) which made walking around more tiresome.

I've never been. From all I've see on them on the news and in advertisements, I have no desire to be on a huge ship that is overloaded with people. To me, that would be a nightmare, not enjoyable. I have considered taking a smaller cruise to Alaska, but that would be it. I don't like crowds, and a vacation to me is quiet and relaxing, maybe romantic and a bit adventurous. They seem to be like a noisy floating amusement park, not my style.
Actually, it all depends on the cruise line you choose and the size of the ship. I've been on many cruises (more than 20 for sure). Never thought I'd like it but it's a great way to get a little taste of many places in a short period of time and the food is always superb on board!

Your itinerary and length of cruise makes a big difference. I prefer smaller ships (500-900 people) and longer cruises (10 day +). You get mostly older seasoned travelers and you avoid those who just want to party their brains out.
Most of my cruising has been in the Caribbean but I've also done the Med., Hawaii, Tahiti, Panama Canal and South America.

The Alaska cruises are great from what I've heard. Most would be a week I expect and you won't get the party people on that sort of cruise.

The ship in the background here is a Paul Gaugin ship - 330 passengers - perfection in paradise :love:
Hard Day At Work.jpg

When my daughter lived in Oregon we took a road trip across country from New Jersey and then went on a cruise to Alaska before visiting her..
I was bored silly. The shows were not that great and the food was the same day after day at the buffet.
The hubby and I are not drinkers and the night life didn't interest us.
I enjoyed the road trip 100 times more than that cruise,
Never again.

Hubby and I have been on a number of cruises. The first was a Pacific cruise in the Leonid Sobinov. The crew and hospitality staff were all Russian and the entertainment staff were English. It was during the Cold War and was a rather unique experience, but very enjoyable. We joked that should the Cold War suddenly turn hot we would all find ourselves transported to a Soviet port. Luckily the temperature was cooling at that time.

Since then we have taken cruises in Australian waters and around SE Islands to our north and several more to the pacific islands. We've enjoyed river cruises on the Murray and the Nile and a Mediterranean cruise to Greek Islands.

These holidays are ideal for seniors with limited mobility and there is plenty of amusements and entertainments to choose from. Moneywise, they can be very good value.

I went to a wedding on one of the huge ones while it was docked. The wedding was before general boarding. I'm claustrophobic and couldn't imagine it filled with people. I visited one of the interior staterooms and would've had a panic attack had I not known I was about to leave the ship.

Would love to go on a Viking Ocean Cruise of the Baltic Sea. Each stateroom has a veranda which would take care of the claustrophobia issue. At capacity, they have about half the passengers of a comparable sized ship, so that's a win!

I have been on 47 cruises, On one as small as 49 pax cruising the Inner Hebrides of Scotland, to much larger ships. My first cruise was on a crummy Princess ship in a tiny cabin to Alaska, where it rained almost every day.
I finished cruising with a flourish in a new Princess ship in a suite on an 11 day Alaskan cruise. The story is below.

Attachments

• ALASKA APRIL 2019.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 3
I heartily agree...

I went to a wedding on one of the huge ones while it was docked. The wedding was before general boarding. I'm claustrophobic and couldn't imagine it filled with people. I visited one of the interior staterooms and would've had a panic attack had I not known I was about to leave the ship.

Would love to go on a Viking Ocean Cruise of the Baltic Sea. Each stateroom has a veranda which would take care of the claustrophobia issue. At capacity, they have about half the passengers of a comparable sized ship, so that's a win!
Apparently river cruises are a different kettle of fish to those huge partying cruise ships

Apparently river cruises are a different kettle of fish to those huge partying cruise ships

The Baltic Sea cruise I want to do is Viking Ocean, not Viking River. Same company but very different boats. The Viking Ocean cruise liners are considered "small ship" compared to the mega Princess, Carnival and the like but they're much larger than the river boats.

1-OCEANS-CNTAwards_1920x700_Nov_tcm13-167559.jpg

I've always wanted to go to Tahiti on Paul Gaugin. Bucket list!
You won't be disappointed, that's for sure :love: Not the cheapest cruise but good value overall with few passengers and top notch service. Not to mention going to I think it was 5 or 6 Islands. I stayed a few days before the cruise at the Intercontinental Resort just outside Papeete. Beautiful (not cheap though).

(Bora Bora in the background)
326.JPG

Sailing on a giant cruise ship loaded with people never sounded appealing to me. I do like water craft, spent 3 years as an engine crew member in the military(Army, believe-it-or-not). I used to enjoy ocean fishing trips on commercial sports fishers(85+ ft. or better); not sure if you can fish from a Carnival Cruise ship...?

I have traveled the world for decades but never been on a cruise. I would like to go but wouldn't be caught dead on a Disney Cruise nor one of those monster cities on the water with 5,000 plus passengers. I guess for me, small is more. I wonder if a "single" cruise would be fun? I'd like to try that; when they rid of all those masks; if they ever do?

Last edited:
Sailing on a giant cruise ship loaded with people never sounded appealing to me. I do like water craft, spent 3 years as an engine crew member in the military(Army, believe-it-or-not). I used to enjoy ocean fishing trips on commercial sports fishers(85+ ft. or better); not sure if you can fish from a Carnival Cruise ship...?
Yes, I like water craft too. When young my father had a broad beamed wooden sail boat with no sails, just an outboard motor. He took us out on the bay often, sometimes the waters got rough in the afternoon and he headed back home. They made me sit under the poop deck for protection from the splash of the waves. I was the youngest. I loved it. My husband and I have gone out on sport fishing boats by the Oregon coast, Ling Cod and Rockfish. Yeah, it's the people, not the sea that turns me off. I never heard of anyone fishing on a Carnival ship, I doubt they can.

Back