Have you ever been shot at?

Bretrick

When I was 14, I was up in the hills exploring when suddenly something hit me in the side of my head and forcefully knocked me to the ground.
It was like a sledgehammer had hit me in the head.
Someone had shot me with an air rifle which fired lead slugs. I laid on the ground with blood pouring out of my head.
As I lay on the ground I heard several people running towards me and I recognised their voices.
They were the gang of locals who terrorised me for years in my youth.
As soon as I realised who had shot me I laid there without moving, playing dead.
Not out of fright, but to terrify them into thinking they had killed me.
One of them was crying loudly and screaming, "I did not mean to kill him, I fired above his head"
I continued to lay prostrate for about 4 minutes before showing signs of movement.
"Look, he's alive" one of them said.
As I started to stir, I received a kick to my leg from one of them, "If you dob on us, we will kill you next time, keep your fu*king mouth shut"
I totally believed him and told no one.
The lead slug was hidden in my hair so could not be seen. It stayed there for 6 weeks until the swelling went down and I removed it with tweezers.

I doubt I was targeted, but, in high school .. while walking with a friend and others during lunch break (we weren't allowed to stay inside) - something hit me smack in the right eye. It was either a bb-shot or from a sling-shot. It turned my eyeball right around, so I couldn't see anything. I thought I was blind. My sister took me home, and to our doctor. He put a patch on it, and told me I wasn't going to be blind. Eventually, the eye turned back, but after that, I needed to wear glasses. It has always been my weaker eye.

I doubt I was targeted, but, in high school .. while walking with a friend and others during lunch break (we weren't allowed to stay inside) - something hit me smack in the right eye. It was either a bb-shot or from a sling-shot. It turned my eyeball right around, so I couldn't see anything. I thought I was blind. My sister took me home, and to our doctor. He put a patch on it, and told me I wasn't going to be blind. Eventually, the eye turned back, but after that, I needed to wear glasses. It has always been my weaker eye.
How sad. No one admitted to doing it either.

When I was 13 or 14 we were down in a ravine, looking at some twig and tree branch "structures" which we thought were made by some kind of animal. All of a sudden someone from above us (about 30 feet up on boulders overlooking the ravine we were in) began shooting down into the ravine. I'm sure they didn't see us, but nonetheless we fired our .22 rifles back up at the shooters. That got their attention, they quit firing. The whole thing was quite stupid.

Then a few years later I was in Vietnam.

Recently I was hiking with my son at Mormon Rocks, near the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino county. It was a Sunday, lots of other people in the area, some hikers, others dirt biking and dune buggying. Somebody fired a half dozen rounds from a semi-auto handgun, told my son we needed to hunker down close to the ground. At that point I decided we should leave the area, as it was similar to the ravine that I was in, when getting shot at as a teenager.

Early one morning I was walking out of a bar that was closing for the night. There were about 5 of us out the door when a car drove by and peppered the building with bullets. Shrapnel was flying all over the place. Everyone kind of pushed their way back into the bar and then it was over. It was a miracle no one was hit. There were bullet marks all over the front of the outside of the bar and around the door. Never did find out who did it. The manager said he had kicked a couple of people out earlier in the night and felt that it might have been them. Crazy world it is.

I've had a shot from a 22 Rifle fired in my general direction but it was aimed at and hit, blowing the head off and to bits a snake that was barely two feet in front of me. I was about 3 heading
for the river bank cause it was after a storm and some times interesting things washed up. Snake came up the incline down to the water so i didn't see him till too close too risk startling it.

I froze as Dad had taught us, heard my sisters hollering for Mama as they ran for the house, it seemed like forever till i heard the sound of the gun. If ever had any notion about violating Dad's rules about guns the image of that snake's head made me think again.

I was once pinned down on a bus by an hysterical woman, who had been sitting behind me, because she thought I had been shot.

The entire window beside me was cracked and the driver and other passengers had to drag the screaming woman off me before the window shattered. Despite my insisting that I was fine, the driver called the police and paramedics.

Apparently, there had been several instances of kids firing airguns in that area so, It could have been a shot or it could have been a pebble :unsure:

Last edited:
I had quite forgotten this experience I had in 1955. I was in the Air Force and was driving through Domremy, France on May 1st on our way to Switzerland. That particular village was Communist and they were celebrating May Day big time. When we came through we were shot at but thankfully no one was hurt. To think that part of the Statue of Liberty was cast in their factory there and that it was home to Joan of Arc, really ticked me off.

I had quite forgotten this experience I had in 1955. I was in the Air Force and was driving through Domremy, France on May 1st on our way to Switzerland. That particular village was Communist and they were celebrating May Day big time. When we came through we were shot at but thankfully no one was hurt. To think that part of the Statue of Liberty was cast in their factory there and that it was home to Joan of Arc, really ticked me off.
That year was the beginning of the end of Communism in French politics...

Back