Having a major anxiety attack right now,

I tried meditation but couldn't concentrate. I tried to daydream but my mind kept wandering.

Tell us about anything that is in your area. It might help to chat a bit.
Not much going on here, it is a boring area. There have been Christmas parades in nearby areas. My Great-Granddaughter is in her high school color guard. They march in the parades, I'm partially handicapped, so I don't go to them. I could go, but it would be in a wheelchair, and I would hate that.

It's good she has something she enjoys participating in, there. SHe wears a uniform for that?
Do they televise any of those parades? Or does someone from her school video them?

Here in the Northern US, it's been frosty and there's been some snows.
I've got to sign off here. Hang in there, Al. It's late, here, in a different time zone.

Last edited:
I tried meditation but couldn't concentrate. I tried to daydream but my mind kept wandering.
My late wife was a Japanese Zen Buddhist. She was an expert on meditation. She tried to teach me to meditate, I never could reach what she called a meditative state. Sometimes I would fall asleep. Meditation requires clearing the mind of all thoughts, anxiety is just the opposite, so meditation would be impossible while having an anxiety attack.

That's interesting Al. I've tried to meditate in the past but was never successful at it. It makes sense that meditation would be impossible during an anxiety attack. I hope you're feeling a bit better than before.

Meditation requires clearing the mind of all thoughts, anxiety is just the opposite, so meditation would be impossible while having an anxiety attack.
Biblical passages have been a huge help for my wife

This one of late;

Philippians 4:6-7 New International Version (NIV)

6; Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7; And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

When I'm like this, I can turn on a TV show but can't concentrate. I wish it would be that easy, trying to watch a show, even one I like a lot, doesn't help. Anxiety attack are ruining what's left of my life
Try not thinking about it or thinking about yourself. When you are engaged in something positive that captures your interest and attention isn't it much better? Also taking deep breaths and practicing deep breathing exercises on a regular basis? Focusing on the breath and listening is a powerful tool, I've heard.

I'm thinking of you, @oldal and hoped your night went alright. It was good to see your messages here, today, that are from last night too.

I know it is difficult or impossible to engage the mind in any positive focus or actions, when having anxiety attacks.
It's definitely worth continuing to try, whenever possible. Something that didn't work one time, might possibly work another time. But sometimes, it just doesn't succeed. Sometimes it's like a big scary roller coaster, that we just hang on, to wait for the ride to be over.

I wonder if you have any books that were your late wife's, that you could look through to find and take a couple of statements from, to repeat to yourself, for mantras, sometimes. Not complete meditation , but even those repetitions, just might help a little bit.

Does your great grand, practice the twirling and routines, at home or outside near your window, sometimes? It seems like it would be fun to watch her, if she would do some of their patterns for you, sometime. I am sure she is at a very "busy" age, though!
It seems like people video everything nowadays, and might be fun to ask her to show you some.

All of the diversion suggestions above are good ones, but none helped for me before I learned the sublingual xanax trick described above that stopped them.

With panic attacks, the body goes into full blown fight or flight mode. There is intense fear and all that accompanies it ...increased adrenaline, racing heart, shortness of breath, an almost disembodied, detached feeling from reality accompanied by a feeling of impending death/doom. The body is in high gear fear mode with all the physical reactions that accompany fear as though there's a wild animal in pursuit that must be eluded or speared. It's primal and terrifying.

Behind all the acute panic attack awfulness is a mostly ever present "fear of the fear" that keeps your body ramped up and predisposed to another acute attack. For me, nothing brought that down ...not exercise, breathing/meditation practices, prayer, cognitive behavior techniques, music specifically designed for relaxation, diversionary activities, 24/7 anxiety meds ...nothing 'normalized' the chronic underlying fear of the fear and the acute cycles.

When my doctor learned about the sublingual Xanax administration, we tapered down on the 24/7 anxiety meds, then started using the Xanax under the tongue at the beginning (first even tiny hint) of an acute attack. Over a pretty short time-frame, the realization that sublingual Xanax stopped an acute attack in its tracks, my underlying chronic "fear of the fear" began to lessen so the acute attacks decreased. Within a month or so, the acute attacks became very rare. Other than Xanax for occasional sleep and before exposure to high sensory environments, I hardly take it anymore. But I ALWAYS! keep some with me as insurance against another acute attack. Just knowing I have it prevents an acute attack and keeps me out of the chronic anxiety cycle associated with acute attacks.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of you, @oldal and hoped your night went alright. It was good to see your messages here, today, that are from last night too.

I know it is difficult or impossible to engage the mind in any positive focus or actions, when having anxiety attacks.
It's definitely worth continuing to try, whenever possible. Something that didn't work one time, might possibly work another time. But sometimes, it just doesn't succeed. Sometimes it's like a big scary roller coaster, that we just hang on, to wait for the ride to be over.

I wonder if you have any books that were your late wife's, that you could look through to find and take a couple of statements from, to repeat to yourself, for mantras, sometimes. Not complete meditation , but even those repetitions, just might help a little bit.

Does your great grand, practice the twirling and routines, at home or outside near your window, sometimes? It seems like it would be fun to watch her, if she would do some of their patterns for you, sometime. I am sure she is at a very "busy" age, though!
It seems like people video everything nowadays, and might be fun to ask her to show you some.
My wife was a Soto Zen Buddhist, they don't use mantras in their Zazen (meditation), I never could master this, she did use Koans, and none of the Koans made any sense to me.

It is fun to watch Samantha practice her flag and rifle twirling, and I rarely get anxiety when they are home. She is very dedicated to her team; they practice after school three times a week and frequently on Saturday. Also, they perform in shows after school and on weekends.

Just knowing I have it prevents an acute attack and keeps me out of the chronic anxiety cycle associated with acute attacks.
Your entire post about this, is very interesting, Annie. Thank you for explaining it all in detail, and how you found something interesting that works for you, and makes sense.

Last edited:
She is very dedicated to her team; they practice after school three times a week and frequently on Saturday. Also, they perform in shows after school and on weekends.

This is all very interesting, Al. I can almost picture her twirling those objects, now, :)and her working together with her team. I am also glad that you get to see her.

Having another night of anxiety, this time it came with nausea. Lost my dinner, not good because I had taken insulin. Managed to keep some glucose tablets down but still checking blood glucose every 30 minutes.

Are there any anxiety suffers that are diabetic?

I've heard so much good stuff about meditation, but I simply can't do it. A couple of times I tried and just could not concentrate, my mind was all over the place. I even tried humming, "OooOom!", didn't work and I felt like a looney.
You may be trying to hard. There are a number of techniques for effective meditation and one of them is to simply relax and let your thoughts bounce around as they please. I find this approach to be nearly as effective as focusing on my mantra.

You may be trying to hard. There are a number of techniques for effective meditation and one of them is to simply relax and let your thoughts bounce around as they please. I find this approach to be nearly as effective as focusing on my mantra.
Think some of the articles on meditation are directing "deep meditation techniques". Difference between the levels one goes through in consciousness to reach deep mediation. Relaxation meditation is much more attainable for the novice to focus on I think. Be still and know...

The color guard has uniforms, they march with the school band twirling their flags. Their uniforms match the band's uniforms.
I would go with a flag to show her you are there. If someone would take you up front.

Back