Health Benefits of Intermittant Fasting and OMAD (one meal a day)

I'm not religious and I love to have a big breakfast on Sunday morning. LOL

I think what works on this kind of diet is that the body has to feel hunger for a while, that forces it to eat the fat cells rather than hang on to the fat cells and eat the carbs from frequent meals. Of course, this diet would not work on people with diabetes type II like Roadwarrior and Win, they need to eat more frequent meals. I'm going to research what Roadwarrior said about complex carbs and try to eat more of those.
Complex carbs are like brown beans. They are both a protein and a carb. I think that is what he was talking about. It takes your body longer to break them down. Sweet potatoes, squash and pumpkin are also complex carbs. Beans like kidney, white, black, pinto or garbanzo beans are complex carbs. Lentils and split peas also.
I love to add brown sugar to my sweet potatoes, but Smart Balance butter and cinnamon with butter is good too.

Complex carbs are like brown beans. They are both a protein and a carb. I think that is what he was talking about. It takes your body longer to break them down. Sweet potatoes, squash and pumpkin are also complex carbs. Beans like kidney, white, black, pinto or garbanzo beans are complex carbs. Lentils and split peas also.
I love to add brown sugar to my sweet potatoes, but Smart Balance butter and cinnamon with butter is good too.
Correct! any food that doesn't metabolize to sugar rapidly is considered a complex carb. One I found that has a lot of negative thoughts is popcorn. Without the salt, chemicals & fake butter is best. Whole dairy again, real salted butter but in moderation is best for II's I pop my kernels in a brown paper bag for 2 min. Pour melted butter over it. Works the same as oatmeal, old fashioned oatmeal, with half steel cut whole oats is best. The quick version has all the good stuff taken off. I use 1/4 C old fashioned - 1/4 C steel cut whole oats in a thermos with 1 C boiling hot water over night for easy peasy oatmeal next morning. Add a little cinnamon & half n half, heat it for a couple minutes for a creamy oatmeal breakfast it will do your blood good.

Last post - I don't want to pirate this thread! Please continue.

Correct! any food that doesn't metabolize to sugar rapidly is considered a complex carb. One I found that has a lot of negative thoughts is popcorn. Without the salt, chemicals & fake butter is best. Whole dairy again, real salted butter but in moderation is best for II's I pop my kernels in a brown paper bag for 2 min. Pour melted butter over it. Works the same as oatmeal, old fashioned oatmeal, with half steel cut whole oats is best. The quick version has all the good stuff taken off. I use 1/4 C old fashioned - 1/4 C steel cut whole oats in a thermos with 1 C boiling hot water over night for easy peasy oatmeal next morning. Add a little cinnamon & half n half, heat it for a couple minutes for a creamy oatmeal breakfast it will do your blood good.

Being that you're on insulin and metformin you can't really compare or suggest your eating choices (including other diabetics that are not on insulin or other glucose reducing medications) would have the same kind of results for others. Maybe good for a thread about diabetics the same as what you are taking and experiencing.

Seems like everytime I have opinion, you take it upon yourself to correct or chastise me. I have decided I don't need this.

I have never replied to you before. I never needed to. I am diabetic, too, which I why I replied to you this time. I really have had no interest with your posts otherwise.

Don't quit, that was a good recipe for oatmeal. I made steel cut oats one time with cinnamon and pumpkin in a crock pot. Great for a morning breakfast!

Don't quit, that was a good recipe for oatmeal. I made steel cut oats one time with cinnamon and pumpkin in a crock pot. Great for a morning breakfast!

All I'm saying is that if he's suggesting that the type of food/recipes he's suggesting for other diabetics (and pre-diabtics) that are just doing diet and exercise and not on insulin and medications is just not right.

For anyone else that follows his suggestions for food and recipes is not what I'm talking about. Do what you all like and works for you. I just don't care for being dissed (wrongly) for what I know what is good for me and others.

Well, you are doing better than me. I had a total knee replacement, and am on my 3rd month. Aug. 21. I am able to walk without a cane and am walking around kinda normal. So, no jogging for me. My exercise for the first time since Aug. 21 was line dancing yesterday. Better not do that again for awhile. I am making a mistake in what I am eating. Lots of carbs. Today I ate a whole baked potato with cheese and sour cream and butter, fried rice with chicken, and and slice of pecan pie. Wrong choices! I did some reading about this online rather than go by all these posts here. Some eat for one hour and fast for 23 hours, and there is the 16:8 (which is what I do) and the 5:2. So, I fast for 16 hours and eat a meal. I fasted for 16 hours the first time and then had supper. The next fast of 16 hours took me to lunch, and now I will fast and have a big breakfast before church. Healthier meals. I can get on the bike in the gym, and I do have leg exercises I do.

Ok but I didn’t have a knee operation, am younger than you and have been exercising my entire life.

It’s none of my business but did they not get you physiotherapist exercises to do after your knee operation? They usually do or recommend you see one. No line dancing would be a crazy thing to start doing right away as you have noticed. ☺️

You may have pushed yourself too much so needed the carbs as instant fuel. Your body would have craved them until you had them so don’t beat yourself up. It happened to me once this week. After days of jogging and doing this balance ball workout I had a 1/2 a pint of dairy free ice cream and 2 bags of wine gums 🤭lol
You just enjoy them, forgive yourself and move on.

You should really start on something much easier like straight walking or find an exercise routine you enjoy. Try going to the library and check out their DVD’s in Pilates, Yoga, Balance Ball or something easier that includes plenty of stretches.

Give yourself credit for jumping in with both feet and committing yourself. I’m impressed there so much support here. It’s great.

Today I went out and bought a variety of healthy nuts to go with my fruit to be used as. meal replacement. The nuts have plenty of protein and important oils to slow down the fructose going into my blood stream.
Normally I’d eat fruit in the morning but since I’m not eating until at least 12:00 I’m saving it for late afternoon.

Ok but I didn’t have a knee operation, am younger than you and have been exercising my entire life.

It’s none of my business but did they not get you physiotherapist exercises to do after your knee operation? They usually do or recommend you see one. No line dancing would be a crazy thing to start doing right away as you have noticed. ☺

You may have pushed yourself too much so needed the carbs as instant fuel. Your body would have craved them until you had them so don’t beat yourself up. It happened to me once this week. After days of jogging and doing this balance ball workout I had a 1/2 a pint of dairy free ice cream and 2 bags of wine gums 🤭lol
You just enjoy them, forgive yourself and move on.

You should really start on something much easier like straight walking or find an exercise routine you enjoy. Try going to the library and check out their DVD’s in Pilates, Yoga, Balance Ball or something easier that includes plenty of stretches.

Give yourself credit for jumping in with both feet and committing yourself. I’m impressed there so much support here. It’s great.

Today I went out and bought a variety of healthy nuts to go with my fruit to be used as. meal replacement. The nuts have plenty of protein and important oils to slow down the fructose going into my blood stream.
Normally I’d eat fruit in the morning but since I’m not eating until at least 12:00 I’m saving it for late afternoon.
Yes, I have had physical therapy ever since the operation and am still on it. I am going to get back on the bike and eat more reasonably once a day and drink plenty of liquids. Here lately I have enjoyed hot chocolate once or twice a day along with my water. And yes, I love the support here. So far, I have fasted 16 hours and then ate lunch one day, the next lunch and today it is breakfast. Thank you so much for the encouraging words.

When do you start losing weight and about how much on this OMAD diet?

I have picked out my 4-hour eating window. I am going to try the 4pm-8pm window. I will eat my meal in one hour and fast until the next day for the same eating window.

I have picked out my 4-hour eating window. I am going to try the 4pm-8pm window. I will eat my meal in one hour and fast until the next day for the same eating window.
@fancicoffee13 - The whole idea of the ''eating window'' is that you can eat during those hours, no need to hurry. You can also spread the time you eat so that you don't eat any fruit at the same time as your meal. I don't understand the chemistry of it, @Keesha knows more about it, but it seems you should not eat fruit too close to the meal. Maybe Keesha can chime in and explain it. I try to eat fruit at 5pm and then eat my meal after 5:30 and then have snack or dessert close to my 7pm deadline. If you eat your one meal in one hour, then your eating window is one hour and your fast is 23 hours. Which is excellent, if you can handle it, I rather have more time to eat and indulge if I want to.

And by the way, if you like breakfast there is nothing stopping you from making your one meal a breakfast, as long as it's nutritious that is all that matters. As to how much you lose, that depends on how much you eat during the eating window and whether you cheat. I can usually lose 2 lbs a week if I am faithful to the diet and don't eat too much during the window.

Just wanted to add:

This ''diet'' is really wonderful and so forgiving. I never did the Atkins diet, but heard that if you cheated then you had to start all over with the diet from the beginning. Considering how many times I've cheated and gone off this diet the last 13 months, I would have never gotten past the starting gate with the Atkins diet. And it had sooo many rules like a lot of other diets. Plus, it would have never worked for me since it depended on eating lots of meat and greasy food, anyway.

@fancicoffee13 - The whole idea of the ''eating window'' is that you can eat during those hours, no need to hurry. You can also spread the time you eat so that you don't eat any fruit at the same time as your meal. I don't understand the chemistry of it, @Keesha knows more about it, but it seems you should not eat fruit too close to the meal. Maybe Keesha can chime in and explain it. I try to eat fruit at 5pm and then eat my meal after 5:30 and then have snack or dessert close to my 7pm deadline. If you eat your one meal in one hour, then your eating window is one hour and your fast is 23 hours. Which is excellent, if you can handle it, I rather have more time to eat and indulge if I want to.

And by the way, if you like breakfast there is nothing stopping you from making your one meal a breakfast, as long as it's nutritious that is all that matters. As to how much you lose, that depends on how much you eat during the eating window and whether you cheat. I can usually lose 2 lbs a week if I am faithful to the diet and don't eat too much during the window.
Generally speaking, fruit should be eaten on its own on an empty stomach about 20 minutes before any other food, especially meat or dairy. Eating fruit at the same time can ferment the other foods making them more difficult to digest.

In a low carb diet, the idea is to keep your blood sugar low so hot chocolate, fruit and other sweet foods are discouraged. They increase your blood sugar which gives surges of energy then crashes causing mood changes and cravings, making it more difficult to loose weight.

For myself I do best mixing protein, fat and vegetables and limit or eliminate grains and sugars.
The only fruit I use consistently without any problems are lemons. This information is based on the idea that low carbs help lose weight.

I looked at the diet's website and it said that you eat your meal in one hour and a beverage. Before I looked it up, it sounded like you could spend the hours in the "eating window" to have your meal. So, I am gathering it is up to the person? And the window is 4 hours. So then you are fasting for 20 hours. I know there are variations that are up to the person, right? I have lost 2 pounds so far and I am on my 4th day. Thanks a bunch for the information.

Just wanted to add:

This ''diet'' is really wonderful and so forgiving. I never did the Atkins diet, but heard that if you cheated then you had to start all over with the diet from the beginning. Considering how many times I've cheated and gone off this diet the last 13 months, I would have never gotten past the starting gate with the Atkins diet. And it had sooo many rules like a lot of other diets. Plus, it would have never worked for me since it depended on eating lots of meat and greasy food, anyway.
I am on my 4th day of the diet and I only cheated once last night. I had breakfast as my one meal and at supper while my friend was eating, I got hungry so I drank a meal replacement. I have lost 2 pounds so far. Can you eat during the 4-hour eating window or do you eat during the one hour only? The website says you eat during the one hour only? I am a newbie at this. Thanks for your information.

I hope you don’t mind me answering fancicoffee.
THIS ^^^^^ particular diet is called the OMAD which literally means ONE MEAL A DAY. If it takes you four hours to eat one meal then I highly doubt you will lose any weight at all on it.

The window time of eating on this diet would most likely be 1 hour. In fact I’ve read many of PVC’s post where she says she’s fasting for a full 23 hours.

Other intermittent food fasting threads aren’t one meal a day diets and I think what’s happening is that you are mixing them up accidentally. I did that at first also.

THIS ^^^^^ particular diet is called the OMAD which literally means ONE MEAL A DAY. If it takes you four hours to eat one meal then I highly doubt you will lose any weight at all on it.

The window time of eating on this diet would most likely be 1 hour. In fact I’ve read many of PVC’s post where she says she’s fasting for a full 23 hours.

Other intermittent food fasting threads aren’t one meal a day diets and I think what’s happening is that you are mixing them up accidentally. I did that at first also.

Okay, I think I know what the confusion is. MY diet is actually called a ''time restricted diet'' but I had it confused with an OMAD diet. My apologies to you both, Keesha and fancicoffee. I fast 22 hours and eat throughout the 2 hour window. I am still losing 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week so it must still be working, at least for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time-restricted eating is a type of diet that focuses on the timing of eating. Instead of limiting the types of food or number of calories that people consume, this diet restricts the amount of time they can spend eating. A person on a time-restricted eating diet will only eat during specific hours of the day.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322365.php

Keesha, you are right. I looked on the website for the OMAD diet and that is what it says. I have to say, fasting a full 23 hours is ok, just takes some getting used to plus saying no. Thank you for answering. Now, another question: do I do this on a daily basis or 5 days out of the week for a month? I didn't see the answer on the website, however, I did ask this question and am waiting for the email to come in,

Now, another question: do I do this on a daily basis or 5 days out of the week for a month? I didn't see the answer on the website, however, I did ask this question and am waiting for the email to come in,

I'm curious to know what they tell you, please post. I think the answer will be ''depends how fast you want to lose the weight''. If you eat normally for 2 days out of 7 you will probably regain most of the weight you lost on those 5 fasting days. I myself eat normally on Sunday and that slows down my weight loss. I don't mind, I just use Sunday as my day to treat myself for ''being good'' the previous 6 days.

Okay, I think I know what the confusion is. MY diet is actually called a ''time restricted diet'' but I had it confused with an OMAD diet. My apologies to you both, Keesha and fancicoffee. I fast 22 hours and eat throughout the 2 hour window. I am still losing 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week so it must still be working, at least for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time-restricted eating is a type of diet that focuses on the timing of eating. Instead of limiting the types of food or number of calories that people consume, this diet restricts the amount of time they can spend eating. A person on a time-restricted eating diet will only eat during specific hours of the day.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322365.php
22 hours. Well. I was close.
I think all three of us had this thread mixed up with the intermittent food fasting threads. 🙃 Lol
It seems to be working for also. I’ve lost close to two pounds so far. I think I’ve also gained muscle from exercising which I take into consideration.

Here's a VERY LONG article by a guy who is 36 and does the OMAD and Keto diet. The article is very informative and covers all aspects of intermittent diets and Keto diets. He claims he lost 30lbs in 4 months (a little to fast in my book). I found it very interesting, but chemistry goes over my head, so I intent to read it again to drum some of the info into my brain. I don't want to do Keto, too restrictive for me. I will continue my current diet, it's working for me like no other diet ever did. I have no patience with counting calories, refuse to give up bread and rice etc, will just try to eat them with moderation. I will also try to cut down on portions and will still treat myself to ''cheating Sunday'' for the sake of my soul. 😻

Read ALL of the article, it's worth it! @fancicoffee13 , he also answers your question re fasting five days and eating 2 days (somewhere around mid-article, he does eat on weekends). It's obvious to me that these fasting diets are very varied and customized by each follower.

https://medium.com/@jc2go/my-4-month-keto-diet-with-intermittent-fasting-omad-44f0e8a87e68

The only way I have ever lost weight was by eating less, therefore my mantra "Hunger is my Friend". Didn't matter when I ate. Just cut back.

Back