Hi. So how do folks get acquainted around here?

I have an unhappy marriage that has been prolonged so my son, who is 17, can make it through high school with both parents at home. Is it the right choice to stay in an unhappy marriage just for the kids? I can only speak for my situation. My son is aware of the discord between his mother and I, but most the time things are pretty peaceful and my wife is a real task-master regarding his studying and grades and he has a lot more to roll off his back to tolerate that situation than to tolerate living with 2 parents that don't like each other very much. He is a good kid and I love living with him as opposed to seeing him on some kind of visitation schedule if me and his mother were separated. He seems pretty happy and well balanced, and I think in our particular situation, staying together with his mother was a good choice.
First off, I commend you both if you remain civil

Heh, my folks weren't so cordial
I left early, very early, and never looked back
Got weary of the all nighter spats, screaming, crying
Riding the rails to the south was heaven compared to that

But

If you guys have found a way to be civil, well, that kid has two great parents
Why bust that up

Wishing you all the best

Oh, and welcome to geezerville
(I seldom welcome new old people, but yer post was intriguing)

We can't see, hear, or poop

but

We rock

1-1970s-elderly-couple-in-rocking-chairs-vintage-images.jpg

First off, I commend you both if you remain civil

Heh, my folks weren't so cordial
I left early, very early, and never looked back
Got weary of the all nighter spats, screaming, crying
Riding the rails to the south was heaven compared to that

But

If you guys have found a way to be civil, well, that kid has two great parents
Why bust that up

Wishing you all the best

Oh, and welcome to geezerville
(I seldom welcome new old people, but yer post was intriguing)

We can't see, hear, or poop

but

We rock

View attachment 159971
Thanks Gary. I lived in Eugene, Oregon for about 10 years from '74-'85. Heard that Portland has gotten so "woke" it is dangerous to go through.

Sorry about your situation Bruce. But it sounds like you are handling it the right way for you and you are not putting your son in the middle of it, so he sounds well adjusted too.
you are young yet, nice looking, and I’m sure you’ll have no problem meeting someone when your marriage is over and you are ready to move on. Just take it slow and don’t be “desperate” to find someone right away. Take some time to reintroduce your single self to yourself, figure out what in a new relationship, and the type of woman (if that is your preference) you want to meet. Set your sites high and don’t settle.

As for this forum, just post! People are so friendly here and you will have no problems whatsoever! 😊
The picture is me, but from a much earlier time. I am neither young nor nice looking now.

Big warm welcome, LSWOTE, from Beautiful British Columbia Canada!

Your question: What are the common ways to develop friendships on this message board?

My answer: Let it all hang out!

giphy+%282%29.gif

Hi, my name is Bruce and I am 67 years old. I live near Fort Lauderdale, but am originally from Iowa. I have an unhappy marriage that has been prolonged so my son, who is 17, can make it through high school with both parents at home. Is it the right choice to stay in an unhappy marriage just for the kids? I can only speak for my situation. My son is aware of the discord between his mother and I, but most the time things are pretty peaceful and my wife is a real task-master regarding his studying and grades and he has a lot more to roll off his back to tolerate that situation than to tolerate living with 2 parents that don't like each other very much. He is a good kid and I love living with him as opposed to seeing him on some kind of visitation schedule if me and his mother were separated. He seems pretty happy and well balanced, and I think in our particular situation, staying together with his mother was a good choice.

I want to start over at some point in the future after he graduates high school in June 2021, though don't know to what extent that is possible. Is romance possible for someone my age? I am finding it close to impossible to even court new friends, so a romance seems beyond possible.

What are the common ways to develop friendships on this message board?
Hi Bruce. My parents fought like hell and things got worse and worse and they finally divorced when I was 11. It was a good thing for all three kids..myself and my two sisters. I am in a similar situation. My marriage (second) is horrible! Perhaps I wil go into detail sometime. I will say that my current wife courted me, a married man, for the purpose (unknown to me at the time) of punishing me for what her first two husbands did to her (beatings and taking advantage), to prove to herself she still "has it" (she busted up many marriages by causing the husband to fall in love with her, and she is 9 years younger), to get money to pay off her 30+ grand in debts, and to charge me money for sex. Yep. I dont make enough at this time to live by myself and no one wants to go further into old age alone or die alone. So here I is.

I hope everything works out for the best for all concerned. :)

Nathan

Hi Bruce. My parents fought like hell and things got worse and worse and they finally divorced when I was 11. It was a good thing for all three kids..myself and my two sisters. I am in a similar situation. My marriage (second) is horrible! Perhaps I wil go into detail sometime. I will say that my current wife courted me, a married man, for the purpose (unknown to me at the time) of punishing me for what her first two husbands did to her (beatings and taking advantage), to prove to herself she still "has it" (she busted up many marriages by causing the husband to fall in love with her, and she is 9 years younger), to get money to pay off her 30+ grand in debts, and to charge me money for sex. Yep. I dont make enough at this time to live by myself and no one wants to go further into old age alone or die alone. So here I is.

I hope everything works out for the best for all concerned. :)

Nathan
Yikes Nathaniel, life certainly has handed you a fair amount of challenges. Good luck and hang in there.

Where do you all find such pretty pix to post (above just 2 of many)? I've been using images.google.com but not as pretty as these and many others posted on here.
You have to spend lots of time looking on Google. You get different pictures depending on how you word your request. Just type exactly what you are looking for.
What are the common ways to develop friendships on this message board?
Welcome to the Senior Forum, Bruce. To answer your question, you must find a post that peaks your interest and dive in. This is a very friendly group. You will like it here.

You have to spend lots of time looking on Google. You get different pictures depending on how you word your request. Just type exactly what you are looking for.

Welcome to the Senior Forum, Bruce. To answer your question, you must find a post that peaks your interest and dive in. This is a very friendly group. You will like it here.
You got that right, searching for gifs, etc takes a lot of time.

participate, Bruce - participate and interact - reply to threads - start threads - pretty much true for all interest-specific forums.

one just has to put one's self out there - make your presence known.

I'm a new a brand member and the thing that's impressed me is how active SF is.

Here's hopin' to see you on all the myriad threads... :)

If you are definitely going to divorce, use the time you still reside together to get in the forward thinking mode. Let the past stay there and figure out what you are needing for your life. Don't bring your old problems into a new relationship, easier said than done. Good luck.

owl pineapple welcome forum.jpg

Back