Hobby Lobby Stores Defy Closure Order

Em in Ohio

• quoted from Business Insider: "Hobby Lobby is defying state-mandated lockdowns by quietly reopening stores, including nearly all of its stores in Wisconsin and Ohio.
  • A March 28 memo obtained by Business Insider equipped managers with talking points for "how to respond and communicate if visited by a local authority that asks why we are open."
  • "I used to love working for this company, but since this pandemic, I've seen how callous and irresponsible it has been," an Ohio employee told Business Insider.
  • Hobby Lobby did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment."
I'M SO ANGRY - I think their assets should be seized. I think they should be put in over-crowded jails. What do you think?

Calm down, Em. They have a Good Reason:

"THE billionaire Christian owners of the Hobby Lobby chain – David and Barbara Green – last week notified staff that they intended keeping their stores open during the COVID-19 pandemic because Babs got a message from On High saying that staff would be protected by the power of prayer.

In a letter sent to staff, David Green – who has an estimated net worth of more than $6 billion – revealed that his wife was a “prayer warrior” who’d been in touch with the Almighty:

'In her quiet prayer time this past week, the Lord put on Barbara’s heart three profound words to remind us that He’s in control. Guide, Guard, and Groom. We serve a God who will guide us through this storm, who will Guard us as we travel to places never seen before, and who, as a result of this experience, will Groom us to be better than we could have ever thought possible before now.' "
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefr...th-faith-based-us-hobby-chain-to-remain-open/

Hope you feel better now, Em. I sure do.

Calm down, Em. They have a Good Reason:

"THE billionaire Christian owners of the Hobby Lobby chain – David and Barbara Green – last week notified staff that they intended keeping their stores open during the COVID-19 pandemic because Babs got a message from On High saying that staff would be protected by the power of prayer.

In a letter sent to staff, David Green – who has an estimated net worth of more than $6 billion – revealed that his wife was a “prayer warrior” who’d been in touch with the Almighty:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefr...th-faith-based-us-hobby-chain-to-remain-open/

Hope you feel better now, Em. I sure do.
uh - not in the least!!!!! But thanks for the info...I will never patronize these (ahem, self-editing) again!

I think if people are following the self-isolation order then it really doesn't matter; the stores should be empty of customers anyway. Why get so worked up over something you have no control over?
They don't think the law applies to them and they are jeopardizing the health of their employees, who go home to their families, who will also be put at risk. Non-essential businesses were ordered to be shut down - It stopped being a request because of places like this that didn't comply voluntarily.

I think that the Hobby Lobby in my area is still shut down, so regional management may have some discretionary powers over whether to be open or not. Even if they are mandated by their CEO to be open, they may not be able to find sufficient employees willing to come in to be able to operate...

I think that the Hobby Lobby in my area is still shut down, so regional management may have some discretionary powers over whether to be open or not. Even if they are mandated by their CEO to be open, they may not be able to find sufficient employees willing to come in to be able to operate...
In Ohio, the employees can report these employers - the employers have no rights now to force/threaten employees to work. These non-essential businesses were supposed to be shut down weeks ago until further notice.

I think if people are following the self-isolation order then it really doesn't matter; the stores should be empty of customers anyway. Why get so worked up over something you have no control over?

It pisses me off too. :mad: So many companies are making accommodations for their employees as they shut their doors, trying to help the staff that they've had to lay off.

It's not just about the customers.

I read an unsubstantiated article that Hobby Lobby isn't making ANY accommodations for its staff who are choosing to NOT work during this pandemic, and who have summarily been fired as a result of their "disobedience." Whether or not the article is accurate, it just stands to reason that a company who is overtly defying the guidelines won't be interested in protecting its staff financially.

It pisses me off too. :mad: So many companies are making accommodations for their employees as they shut their doors, trying to help the staff that they've had to lay off.

It's not just about the customers.

I read an unsubstantiated article that Hobby Lobby isn't making ANY accommodations for its staff who are choosing to NOT work during this pandemic, and who have summarily been fired as a result of their "disobedience." Whether or not the article is accurate, it just stands to reason that a company who is overtly defying the guidelines won't be interested in protecting its staff financially.
Yep, Hobby Lobby ownership is getting a bad reputation and apparently deserve it. My friend delivers food from restaurants to customers - her boss's company is setting the highest standards for employee and customer safety and financial well-being. I guess it takes the bad to set a standard for the good.

Yep, Hobby Lobby ownership is getting a bad reputation and apparently deserve it. My friend delivers food from restaurants to customers - her boss's company is setting the highest standards for employee and customer safety and financial well-being. I guess it takes the bad to set a standard for the good.
Ah - Governor just shut Hobby Lobby down per the news!

Interesting to find that God singles out Hobby Lobby for his love and understanding. Being a Christian myself, I'm somewhat "put off" by disbelievers who constantly criticize my faith but people such as the Greens make me wonder if here's a good reason for such criticism?

What puzzles me more is folks who rally behind them for no other reason than their faith but will gladly complain about the actions of others, unless they too can pull out the "Christian" card.

As a believer, the actions of those that talk to God are extremely embarrassing.
Honestly it is that to be tolerated?
We are only hesitant to label him nuts because he is a
billionaire-true or false?
Did his wife's conversation with God cover the employees
(Empty-post 10)
Fuzzybuddy #17, has a new word for our lexicon, "profit prophets."

They don't think the law applies to them and they are jeopardizing the health of their employees, who go home to their families, who will also be put at risk. Non-essential businesses were ordered to be shut down - It stopped being a request because of places like this that didn't comply voluntarily.

Not to mention the who knows how many others the family members might put at risk. I don't care what their religion is (and I don't think those owners are true Christians, BTW, or they would not be acting the way they are), they do not have the right to endanger public health. I hope they fine them right into the ground.

As a believer, the actions of those that talk to God are extremely embarrassing.
Honestly it is that to be tolerated?
We are only hesitant to label him nuts because he is a
billionaire-true or false?
Did his wife's conversation with God cover the employees
(Empty-post 10)
Fuzzybuddy #17, has a new word for our lexicon, "profit prophets."
I like it - "profit prophets" - regardless of anyone's personal beliefs, it is just wrong.

Interesting to find that God singles out Hobby Lobby for his love and understanding. Being a Christian myself, I'm somewhat "put off" by disbelievers who constantly criticize my faith but people such as the Greens make me wonder if here's a good reason for such criticism?

What puzzles me more is folks who rally behind them for no other reason than their faith but will gladly complain about the actions of others, unless they too can pull out the "Christian" card.
Well said.

Well, God told me just a little while ago that Babs got a wrong connection. He's not sure who she's been talking to, but it ain't Him. She doesn't have His cell phone number. I do. He's unfriending her on His page. He said she wasn't a prophet, but in it for profit.
Thanks for this - it offered a bit of comic relief from a topic that I don't find funny at all.

I don't care what their religion is (and I don't think those owners are true Christians, BTW, or they would not be acting the way they are)

Their religion is 'Prosperity Gospel' and they sicken me. People like this skipped over the verses teaching that the love of money is the root of evil.

Matthew 7 covers this:

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we ...many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

It was a few days ago so I can't remember exactly what I heard, but I read somewhere that the owner is worth 6.4 billion but doesn't have heath care for his employees. I know some companies make it a point of not giving people 40 hours a week so they won't have to provide medical insurance.

I've only been in there once and that was because I was with someone else who wanted to go in. They won't get any of my money.

Back